How interesting, or boring do you think you are?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thebumwhowalks

Superhero
Reaction score
Be honest. Do you think you are an interesting person,... do you engage in intellectual discussion? do you try to expand your mind by pushing the boundaries of your imagination? Do you examine art seriously, no matter what medium it takes, can you hold your own in a debate with anyone? Have you trained your mind over the years to examine and take an interest in everything going on around you?

Or....do you just not bother...do you just have the same kind of conversations every day? The usual gossip, the same old gags, do you not really have any strong developed opinions on art or the world around you? In other words..are you just a boring monosyllibic typewho has nothing really new to say about anything?

Me, man, I am one interesting soab. Even when i am stuck in the house for months sick and tired, i always have something interesting going on, but, it is sad, i see a lot of boring people out there, who don't even make an effort to be interesting, and I think that is because in order to be interesting, you have to take risks, you have to put your opinions and ideas out there, so basically, if you are boring, it is because you are scared that you have nothing to say, you are scared that in fact you really are boring, and people will find out if you say anything beyond normal boring everyday conversation.
But, anyone can be interesting, you may not be as intelliigenet that that guy, or that gal, but there is always a bigger fish, there will always be someone more intelligent than you in one field or another, so who cares, just give it a try, get your mind out there and try to get yourself out of your boring quagmire.
Or, are you too scared you will be found out to be bland and boring? If that is the case, well, it's a bit of a self fullfilling prophecy you've got going there isn't it?

Be honest. Do you think you are an interesting person,... do you engage in intellectual discussion? do you try to expand your mind by pushing the boundaries of your imagination? Do you examine art seriously, no matter what medium it takes, can you hold your own in a debate with anyone? Have you trained your mind over the years to examine and take an interest in everything going on around you?

Or....do you just not bother...do you just have the same kind of conversations every day? The usual gossip, the same old gags, do you not really have any strong developed opinions on art or the world around you? In other words..are you just a boring monosyllibic typewho has nothing really new to say about anything?

Me, man, I am one interesting soab. Even when i am stuck in the house for months sick and tired, i always have something interesting going on, but, it is sad, i see a lot of boring people out there, who don't even make an effort to be interesting, and I think that is because in order to be interesting, you have to take risks, you have to put your opinions and ideas out there, so basically, if you are boring, it is because you are scared that you have nothing to say, you are scared that in fact you really are boring, and people will find out if you say anything beyond normal boring everyday conversation.
But, anyone can be interesting, you may not be as intelliigenet that that guy, or that gal, but there is always a bigger fish, there will always be someone more intelligent than you in one field or another, so who cares, just give it a try, get your mind out there and try to get yourself out of your boring quagmire.
Or, are you too scared you will be found out to be bland and boring? If that is the case, well, it's a bit of a self fullfilling prophecy you've got going there isn't it?

:wow:

I think somebody missed the meaning of the word 'Subjective'.

Who the hell are you to decide what is 'interesting'?

I personally don't think examining art, or debating what is going on in the world makes you an interesting person... in fact sometimes it can do the exact opposite.

Interesting people are just people who can appeal to the interests of whomever they are with in conversation...

Sometimes that means talking boys, nonsense, and every day conversation. Sometimes it means discussing the world, or the arts. Sometimes it means talking religion or philosophy. Sometimes it means gossiping about your opinion on celebrities.

But there is absolutely no reason why someone who spends the majority of their day engaging in every day conversation is not interesting... that's just ridiculous...

I am probably the most uninteresting person anyone in my circle knows.

:wow:

I think somebody missed the meaning of the word 'Subjective'.

Who the hell are you to decide what is 'interesting'?

I personally don't think examining art, or debating what is going on in the world makes you an interesting person... in fact sometimes it can do the exact opposite.

Interesting people are just people who can appeal to the interests of whomever they are with in conversation...

Sometimes that means talking boys, nonsense, and every day conversation. Sometimes it means discussing the world, or the arts. Sometimes it means talking religion or philosophy. Sometimes it means gossiping about your opinion on celebrities.

But there is absolutely no reason why someone who spends the majority of their day engaging in every day conversation is not interesting... that's just ridiculous...

Who am I? :huh: Only the most interesting person in the world thank you very much.

and ok, that is my idea of interesting, but the thing is, *everybody* engages in the everyday chit-chat, I would say if that is the only string to your bow, you are going to get boring fast.
You have to engage in the world and push yourself to make your life interesting, it is too easy to just let it all slide and not make an effort.

btw, you are officially interesting. :up: If anyone ever tells you you are boring you can tell them that I, the most interesting person in the world, said you were not.
Yes, i am being a bit boring in this reply, but i am a bit knackered, and this thread is quite interesting.

Well, it is interesting that you think you know this and have admitted to it. So, it may very well not be true, and you are just being hard on yourself. Maybe you are just shy and don't tend to speak up with any intersting ideas you have.
When i was a kid, I was a bit boring at school, really quiet, about the onlt thing that was interesting about me was that i liked comics and liked to draw.
But, when i was at home, or playing in the streets I let my imagination run riot, i was not boring.
I think certain envoronments where you live, or the way you are brought up perhaps, can repress you, and make you shy and scared, so you have to push yourself to make things interesting , starting with your own personality.

I had other people push me, i moved down the road to a new housing scheme, new kids moved in, and they pushed me, made me far more interesting. The local kids were just all about a lot of crap mostly, but these new, older kids who moved in were into cycling, going looking for scrap metal in old factories for money, and all other sorts of crazy crap. They really woke up my personality, and i will forever be grateful to them. Ever since than I have pushed myself to get more involved in life, rather than being the quiet wallflower.
Make gags, get involved in discussions if you have an opinion, screw fear, who cares if you look stupid or the gag is not funny, it is better to try, it is interesting to take risks.

Last edited:
I have always had the fear that people don't see me as dating material because they think I'm too boring...and today the guy I've had a crush on for months and finally got up the nerve and ask about his opinion of me said he is attracted to me at times but we wouldn't work....because I'm far too passive.

So needless to say, this doesn't help me with my self-confidence.

I'm boring as hell. Its much more relaxing than being the center of attention.

I have always had the fear that people don't see me as dating material because they think I'm too boring...and today the guy I've had a crush on for months and finally got up the nerve and ask about his opinion of me said he is attracted to me at times but we wouldn't work....because I'm far too passive.

So needless to say, this doesn't help me with my self-confidence.

Dude, i know you have just put me on your ignore list, but this is what I am trying to do here, boost people's self confidence and kick them out of the habit of being boring. I was somewhat boring once , as i was saying, sometimes it takes someone else to kick you out of that rut.
You may have interesting ideas and are just too scared to voice them, that means you just need a self confidence boost, you are not boring per se.

Nothing's more boring than people who think they are interesting :o

People have found me to be interesting at times, but since I'm usually quiet and can be too lazy to push myself at times times, I don't really give people the opportunity to find out whether I am interesting or not. One time I even had a girl call me boring because I was too quiet when a group of us went out. But I don't feel like my life is exciting enough to brag about.

Last edited:
Who am I? :huh: Only the most interesting person in the world thank you very much.

and ok, that is my idea of interesting, but the thing is, *everybody* engages in the everyday chit-chat, I would say if that is the only string to your bow, you are going to get boring fast.
You have to engage in the world and push yourself to make your life interesting, it is too easy to just let it all slide and not make an effort.

btw, you are officially interesting. :up: If anyone ever tells you you are boring you can tell them that I, the most interesting person in the world, said you were not.
Yes, i am being a bit boring in this reply, but i am a bit knackered, and this thread is quite interesting.

Thankyou, but there are plenty of people in the world that find me boring as hell. BECAUSE i try and talk about the world. Because I try to engage in conversations that have a point... If I am sat a work in my office, and try to bring up something 'interesting' between discussions of women's bowel movements, I am given this look... like 'oh god, here she goes again'. I am a bore, a pain.

I totally understand what you mean. I have often looked on people's conversations and thought 'OMG why won't you just SHUT UP!'... in fact in the car on the way to work I have started listening to my ipod just to block out the boring string of sentances that people use to fill the silence.

IMO silence is MUCH more interesting than what they have to say.

But that is the point... how can I or you judge how interesting we are, when the majority of people in this world would find us snore worthy?

Lol, i admire your honesty.

There's also a odd kinda logic to your post.

Some co-workers used to invite me out after work. I was all "Hell no." We work in a loud, busy supermarket, why in earth would I want to go to a loud, busy bar after that? I need to chill after running around and constantly dealing with people.

dosequis_interesting.jpg

This interesting.

Nothing's more boring than people who think they are interesting :o

In all seriousness, this can be very true. I was of course trying to be funny back there, pushing the old irreverent egocentricity button there, good for a slight gag in a thing like this, not to be taken too seriously.
I do try not to think of myself like that, I just go with what I like to do, gut instinct. It is like declaring yourself to be funny, as soon as you do that, or think that, your mojo can dip, the gods will not inspire you as they think you are getting too big for your boots, but, if they know you are just ****ing around, or putting some dip**** in their place by saying it, they will continue to send the old muse down.

I wish you had said something else apart from that though, to give us an idea of who you are.

Hobgoblin: Seriously, I do not think that is healthy, I don't know what you have been through in life, but maybe I have been there too in some ways, and all I can say to you is...you have to try and push yourself, cause you will be risking your happiness and sanity if you do not. You could very well end up sitting on the sidelines of life and build up resentment at the way the lifes of others take shape, as yours stands still. My life stood still for a very long time, and it is only in recent years I have been trying to remedy that. Do not give up on yourself. There is always a way to combat these feelings of repression or fear, but you have to be willing to make the jumps, peopel can push you, but ultimately, there has to be a willingness from you to improve your lot. I don't know who you are man, but I do not like the thought of you remaining on the sidelines, and I don't think that is entirely true, you are a moderator here, you were picked for some reason to do that right? You have something to offer that people see in you, so you must be doing *something* already, but what may be the case is you have found a safe comfort zone of what you are prepared to give out to people, and being anonoymous on a computer site is onbe of the easier soicial skills, so you have to do something about those parts of life you feel you have given up on trying in.
Believe me, i am an example of someone who can bounce bnack from the deepest depths of giving upness. If I can do it, anybody can.

No one has to be the centre of attention though, that is just an extreme, and you seem to be on the other end of that extreme from what you say. I don't know man, as i said in the post above, if you have desires that are going unfulfilled due to your reticence to get involved, then you have to push yourself.

I think people see themselves as boring because they have to live with themselves all the time, and being you is boring at times cause it feels like the same thing all the time. However, that is not always the case. I use to think I was boring and would just shut myself off from trying because I felt I was boring. But, at some point I realized my life is FAR from boring and I can be very engaging when I want to be.

I think this applies to most people. You can be more engaging and entertaining than you think you can be. But, as with anything, there is a happy medium. Don't be a spotlight hogging jerk, but at the same time, don't fade into the background.

Hobgoblin: Seriously, I do not think that is healthy, I don't know what you have been through in life, but maybe I have been there too in some ways, and all I can say to you is...you have to try and push yourself, cause you will be risking your happiness and sanity if you do not. You could very well end up sitting on the sidelines of life and build up resentment at the way the lifes of others take shape, as yours stands still. My life stood still for a very long time, and it is only in recent years I have been trying to remedy that. Do not give up on yourself. There is always a way to combat these feelings of repression or fear, but you have to be willing to make the jumps, peopel can push you, but ultimately, there has to be a willingness from you to improve your lot. I don't know who you are man, but I do not like the thought of you remaining on the sidelines, and I don't think that is entirely true, you are a moderator here, you were picked for some reason to do that right? You have something to offer that people see in you, so you must be doing *something* already, but what may be the case is you have found a safe comfort zone of what you are prepared to give out to people, and being anonoymous on a computer site is onbe of the easier soicial skills, so you have to do something about those parts of life you feel you have given up on trying in.
Believe me, i am an example of someone who can bounce bnack from the deepest depths of giving upness. If I can do it, anybody can.
I appreciate the vote of confidence, but what you are saying is not entirely true. Maybe I did sit on the sidelines for a while, but that changed last summer when I enrolled in graduate school. I had been hoping that the economy would pick up and I could get a better job but when it became clear that things were not getting better, I went back to school. I'm paying for it all with my current job, which doesnt pay that much, so I dont have a lot of money to do things anyway.
Yes maybe I am "socially lazy." I would admit that. But keep in mind that the co-worker that invited me out is just out of high school and I'm 30. Yeah, that would be awkward.

Thankyou, but there are plenty of people in the world that find me boring as hell. BECAUSE i try and talk about the world. Because I try to engage in conversations that have a point... If I am sat a work in my office, and try to bring up something 'interesting' between discussions of women's bowel movements, I am given this look... like 'oh god, here she goes again'. I am a bore, a pain.

I totally understand what you mean. I have often looked on people's conversations and thought 'OMG why won't you just SHUT UP!'... in fact in the car on the way to work I have started listening to my ipod just to block out the boring string of sentances that people use to fill the silence.

IMO silence is MUCH more interesting than what they have to say.

But that is the point... how can I or you judge how interesting we are, when the majority of people in this world would find us snore worthy?

Well, these people are your co-workers, not your friends, you have just landed randomly beside them, chances are you will not share the same interests. But, if you are talking about new things going on in the world, and they are just talking about bowel movements and mundane crap, then I would say you have the right to say they are not that engaging as people in comparison to you.
The mundane.....the expected...the predictable...the simple safe convos....all are the enemy of the imagination, they want you to shut up because they are scared of trying to engage in convos that might confuse them, they will be revealed as being dumb or ignorant, as they have settled into a rota of conforming, ironing out any personal idiosyncracies and making fun of anyone who tries to be themselves, ie different.
this stuff starts in school with cliques and the like, and can mark people for life.

Don't get me wrong, I am partial to talking a lot of mundane stuff, I don't tend to start every morning at breakfast trying to figure the nature of Philip K Dick's Valis experiences of the 70s, ok, sometimes I am like that, lol, my mind will get started on that kind of thing first thing in the morning. but, if i am with other people, I will not bombard them with the secrets of the universe 24/7, cause that too, is boring, you just go with your instincts and mix it all up, you just have to find the right kind of people around you who share your groove and it will all flow naturally.
I mean, sometimes a good old bowel movemnent story can be the most interesting topic of the day, it just depends on who is telling it. Soemtimes it will be a real Toily Toilet Tale, other times it will be Top of the Plops.

I can carry a conversation on a variety of subjects. I try not to limit myself to just one area of interest. There is a time for both sophomoric sex jokes and philosophical debates about the intelligence of Western civilization.

I used to feel this way, so I know how that feels. But, it doesn't have to be that way. Back when I was really young, my brother and I had the same core of friends, and when they'd do stuff like role play, laser tag, etc, I was always the guy on the sidelines watching. It made me feel like absolute crap, but at the same time, I let it happen. I never really fought to get further into the circle. I let my brother hog the spotlight and I never did anything to gain more respect from our friends, so naturally, he was cooler than me. For many years, this made me feel boring and useless. But, when I got my own group fo friends when we moved, I learned a lot about socializing that I previously didn't understand. I was more comfortable with that core because they were my friends first. It wasn't like I was a package deal anymore. That freedom helped me grow and find how to make myself more interesting to people.

You don't have to be the center of attention to be successful in standing out or being interesting. I can be the center of attention when I want to be, but mostly I just go with the flow of conversation and do something to be involved. Just let yourself be involved and don't back away, and you'll be doing fine. You don't have to be a spotlight hog to be interesting.

I can carry a conversation on a variety of subjects. I try not to limit myself to just one area of interest. There is a time for both sophomoric sex jokes and philosophical debates about the intelligence of Western civilization.

Exactly. I love intelligent conversation and talking about film or sports also, but I also love a good conversation that is just absolute idiocy and fun. There is a time and a place for both.

dosequis_interesting.jpg

This interesting.

I don't know who this guy is, but I like that pic a lot. I would like to meet that guy for a beer sometime.

Spider-Fan: Yes, don't be a 'spotlight hogging jerk', but, sometimes the crowd *wants* a certain person to take the spotlight, they are on a roll or whatever, that can be immensely enjoyable when a friend of yours is being soooo funny, and everyone is lapping it up.
I was lucky enough to have a couple of friends who were very funny guys, we all took our turns at hogging the spotlight, and we all enjoyed each other's patter, as did many of the random people we would meet at parties and whatnot. You do have to find that balance, of course when you get real plastered drunk, you can push it too far and lose your mojo, but that happens to the best of us.

Exactly. I love intelligent conversation and talking about film or sports also, but I also love a good conversation that is just absolute idiocy and fun. There is a time and a place for both.

Yep. I feel sorry for people who can't laugh at a name like Poopdeckpenispa or the Dave Chappelle "Piss On You" video. I actually think people who feel that they are above that type of humor on some sort of maturity are more childish than people who laugh at that stuff.

I don't know who this guy is, but I like that pic a lot. I would like to meet that guy for a beer sometime.

Ha!:awesome:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paulsantiagoolg
Back