Infinity War How many heroes will die and stay dead in IW?

ultradog

Civilian
Reaction score
There is already another thread to discuss who will or will not die. This is just a poll for the total superhero body count for IW - May 2018, not including Avengers 4. If they get revived in Avengers 4 through the time stone, or any other method, that doesn't count either. We can have another poll this summer for Avengers 4. So out of this list of established characters, how many will we be saying goodbye to for good, at least until an MCU reboot?

Tony, Steve, Banner, Vision, Wanda, Hawkeye, Black Widow, Falcon, War Machine, Bucky, Thor, Loki, Nick Fury, Valkyrie, Drax, Rocket, Groot, Gamora, Nebula, Mantis

And if you want to do crazy talk, go ahead and include: Spidey, Black Panther, Dr. Strange, Star Lord, Ant-Man, Wasp (who surely have more films in their future)

Last edited:
After actually reading the list I pick 2. I think it more likely that a fair number of supporting characters will die. Nova Prime, John C. Reilly's character, Pepper, Selvig, etc.

And you named every hero (22) and a couple of previous villains (Loki/Nebula) but no BP! He should be in the "can't die because of future movies" section.

Nice list!

Last edited:
BP! He should be in the "can't die because of future movies" section.

Nice list!

Fixed, thanks. Yeah I'm expecting some lesser characters also, but only counting major players that will shock much of the general audience. I also think more could die but be brought back in A4.

On my extremely nerdy list I list 23 "heroes" and 2 hero/villians (Nebula/Loki) -- which are coincidentally siblings of 2 of the heroes.

ultradog has those all listed with Valkyrie throw in.

I list the other surviving Asgardians -- Heimdall, Sif and Valkyrie --as "super-powered supporting characters"-- since any Asgardian that came to Earth would basically be more powerful than most of the actual heroes.

But there is a long list of supporting characters that may be used as Thanos fodder to inspire the heroes towards ultimate victory in A4. I kind of doubt more than 4 combined "hero" deaths in both movies -- but a larger amount of supporting deaths.

I may have to avoid the internet entirely after mid April. I know there will be people with a sick need to spoil the movie.

Stay dead? One. I don't expect this universe, even with Infinity War and its sequel, to go as far as permanently kill multiple characters, especially one of the heroes, without even the slightest possibility that they could return. I'm that cynical about what actual long term stakes will come out as as a result of these two films.

Feige just stated the movie will be "about sacrifice and loss" -- I tend to believe him.

But not too many losses!

They won't kill loads of heroes unless they can reverse it. I will be disappointed personally if he don't get at least one emotional and permanent death to Cap or Iron Man.

I'm honestly not expecting any permanent deaths out of IW.

Anybody that gets killed can be bought back to life with all the Infinity stones in this movie or the next one. Dragon Ball Z Style. Hell in the comics books didn't earth get destroyed then brought back?

Anybody that gets killed can be bought back to life with all the Infinity stones in this movie or the next one. Dragon Ball Z Style. Hell in the comics books didn't earth get destroyed then brought back?

Yes, I basically stated that in my original post. My poll question is, how many do you think will die in this movie, and remain dead at least until the MCU is rebooted?

yeah but wouldn't that look hella silly on the big screen? I can see critics going crazy mocking it.

I'm not exactly sure how that'd look silly considering we have grown men and women running around in specialized costumes and with abilities that you don't see in the real world. So no, I don't think a character (or world, for that matter) dying/being destroyed and brought back would be something that would need to be endlessly badmouthed by critics. Unless, of course, the execution of said story points is done in the worst fashion imaginable.

Voted 0 cuz I’d rather not have a hero die and stay dead.

I'm not exactly sure how that'd look silly considering we have grown men and women running around in specialized costumes and with abilities that you don't see in the real world. So no, I don't think a character (or world, for that matter) dying/being destroyed and brought back would be something that would need to be endlessly badmouthed by critics. Unless, of course, the execution of said story points is done in the worst fashion imaginable.

Good point.

Oh lord, just don't kill Falcon or War Machine. Unless they get the most EPIC death possible.

yeah but wouldn't that look hella silly on the big screen? I can see critics going crazy mocking it.

Days of Future Past killed off almost everyone and brought not just those back to life but those who died in movies even before that. Critics seemed fine with it.

Yeah fans expecting a Logan/Rogue One type ending over the course of these 2 Avengers movies should hold their anticipation in check.

My guess is the Avengers will all be defeated, but only one will actually die. I can't imagine they'd kill off a load of characters unless they plan to resurrect them with the time stone.

I voted "zero," because (A) I'm hopeful and (B) that would piss a lot of people off. :awesome:

The real way to figure this out would be to look at who in the original cast hasn’t reupped for a contract. Evans and Downey come to mind as those that would thematically make the most sense to stay dead. Tony has had a solid character progression, and Cap is someone I could easily see sacrificing himself for the greater good.

The real way to figure this out would be to look at who in the original cast hasn’t reupped for a contract. Evans and Downey come to mind as those that would thematically make the most sense to stay dead. Tony has had a solid character progression, and Cap is someone I could easily see sacrificing himself for the greater good.

All of the original actors contracts are up as of Avengers 4. Most if not all were up with Avengers 3. They extended. RDJ's was up several movies ago and he's had several new ones since then. Scarlett's is up and yet they're reportedly working on a BW movie. With supporting actors many have long term one sided contracts that can be dropped by Marvel at any time and some just expire. (we've seen this)

Avengers 4 doesn't come out for another 1 1/2 years and 2020's slots are probably already filled with GOTG3, SM and maybe Dr Stranger. Then there's the Fox properties. Decisions for 2021 and 2022 slate probably won't be made until 2019 &2020. There's no real rush to sign new contract unless they want them for a supporting role or cameo for a 2020 film and even then there's plenty of time.

Basically, we know nothing.

All of the original actors contracts are up as of Avengers 4. Most if not all were up with Avengers 3. They extended. RDJ's was up several movies ago and he's had several new ones since then. Scarlett's is up and yet they're reportedly working on a BW movie. With supporting actors many have long term one sided contracts that can be dropped by Marvel at any time and some just expire. (we've seen this)

Avengers 4 doesn't come out for another 1 1/2 years and 2020's slots are probably already filled with GOTG3, SM and maybe Dr Stranger. Then there's the Fox properties. Decisions for 2021 and 2022 slate probably won't be made until 2019 &2020. There's no real rush to sign new contract unless they want them for a supporting role or cameo for a 2020 film and even then there's plenty of time.

Basically, we know nothing.

And at this point, I imagine they will keep it on the DL if any of the main cast decide they’re done, as that would be the easiest way to figure out who is going to get axed. I imagine some of the main players will die, both for story purposes and simply because I imagine many of the actors may be ready to move on from the characters.

One thing I’m curious about with the BW movie, is if it’ll be a prequel or set after IW.

Just a reminder regarding this poll, it is regards to one movie only. It has nothing to do with Avengers 4, but only permanent deaths in the film released May 2018. Anyone killed, or revived, in Avengers 4, does not count for the purposes of this poll. There is another thread to discuss who may or may not die - this is just a superhero body count for Avengers 3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"