Homecoming How much creative control does Marvel have?

They are indirectly benefiting from this deal. While Sony won't make money from Spider-Man's appearances in MCU films, think if it as free advertising. People may end up having a bigger interest in solo Spider-Man films following those MCU appearances.

It's simple really. If the Spidey solo movie ends up being a quality film that is both a hit with critics and fans and does well at the BO--that's a great indicator that Marvel had the majority of the control.

Arad and Tolmach are out. Feige is in. Already this tells me that Marvel is not taking any crap garbage input from Sony.

If the movie ends up being yet another mess then I don't know what to say then.

If we get another ASM2 or SM3...yikes.

A Marvel produced solo Spidey movie has less pressure and more pressure at the same time, if that makes any sense. They have a consistent track record especially as of late which gives people hope but they also have to avoid the pitfalls of ASM2.

Like, does the 2017 movie have to be just better than ASM2 or ASM or does it have to surpass SM2, the current title holder as best Spidey flick, imo?? What level does the 2017 have to reach for people to call it a success?

I'll copy this from the other thread:

I could be wrong, but this is how the situation looks to me:

Marvel wanted to use Spider-Man, particularly for Civil War, but they didn't want to use Amazing Spider-Man version/continuity.

Sony saw the lukewarm reception to their franchise and wanted to turn around their fortunes.

The solution was to make this deal.

Marvel gets to use Spider-Man in their movie (presumably Civil War) and they get to use him for free.

In return, Feige & Co. help Sony right the ship, again for free. They help give direction for Spider-Man, using the Marvel "golden touch," for lack of a better term. Plus it is assumed that Spidey will now get a boost in popularity by connecting it with the MCU.

Now it could be as basic as that. Marvel got to use Spidey for its film and Sony now has a revitalized franchise. Sony then continues making new Spider-Man films with this new direction. Hopefully they learn a thing or two from Marvel and the director in charge of the franchise is put in place by Marvel's suggestion and knows what he is doing. Then Marvel may have to make future deals for using Spidey in future MCU films (or TV shows).

Granted, that's not what we want, because it doesn't guarantee that Sony will not interfere again or start having ideas down the line that don't mesh with Marvel's vision.

My hope, barring Marvel regaining the rights or Disney buying Sony, which could be ultimate goals, is for Sony to learn from Marvel and set up a good working relationship in which they come to mutual decisions to keep the the franchises running smoothly. And from history, I'd say it should defer more toward the Marvel way.

If the movie ends up being yet another mess then I don't know what to say then.

Then it would probably be time to shelve the character for a decade. Our only fix would be the CW's riff on the character in that somnambulant show.

bumping it to next page:
i feel that Sony did TASM2 the way it is trying to be Avengers but not really, they have no idea what to do, no vision, anything, so them cooperating with Marvel means they want their input on the franchise... Marvel moved their release dates just for them and they won´t even get a penny, Sony wants Marvel, Marvel can use a BIG character without spending a single dollar in the MCU and the gains of that movie will also be BIG, so this for me seems like a win win, Sony scraches Marvel´s back with Civil War and Marvel returns the favor with the movie in 2017, am i getting anything wrong?

I'll copy this from the other thread:

I could be wrong, but this is how the situation looks to me:

Marvel wanted to use Spider-Man, particularly for Civil War, but they didn't want to use Amazing Spider-Man version/continuity.

Sony saw the lukewarm reception to their franchise and wanted to turn around their fortunes.

The solution was to make this deal.

Marvel gets to use Spider-Man in their movie (presumably Civil War) and they get to use him for free.

In return, Feige & Co. help Sony right the ship, again for free. They help give direction for Spider-Man, using the Marvel "golden touch," for lack of a better term. Plus it is assumed that Spidey will now get a boost in popularity by connecting it with the MCU.

Now it could be as basic as that. Marvel got to use Spidey for its film and Sony now has a revitalized franchise. Sony then continues making new Spider-Man films with this new direction. Hopefully they learn a thing or two from Marvel and the director in charge of the franchise is put in place by Marvel's suggestion and knows what he is doing. Then Marvel may have to make future deals for using Spidey in future MCU films (or TV shows).

Granted, that's not what we want, because it doesn't guarantee that Sony will not interfere again or start having ideas down the line that don't mesh with Marvel's vision.

My hope, barring Marvel regaining the rights or Disney buying Sony, which could be ultimate goals, is for Sony to learn from Marvel and set up a good working relationship in which they come to mutual decisions to keep the the franchises running smoothly. And from history, I'd say it should defer more toward the Marvel way.
So is Feige only producing the 2017 film or is he not getting involved in sequels?

^ According to the current parameters of the deal, Feige and Marvel Studios' direct creative involvement in Sony's affairs vis a vis Spider-Man does not extend beyond the 2017 film, and also does not extend to the spinoffs that Sony has already announced.

Last edited:
Ultimately, Sony has 100% control because they have veto power and the power to cancel the whole project and go back to themselves. However, Kevin Feige is producing it. This means that Feige (and presumably Marvel) has 100% control over idea creation. All Sony can do is say "no." And, if they do that too much, the whole project will blow up and they'll lose out on what they wanted while Marvel got what they wanted (the right to put Spider-Man in a movie). That tells me they would only use their veto if they thought it was something either damaging to their brand or their future plans. I suspect, for example, they would veto Spider-Man revealing himself to the public.

My understanding is what they can't do is say "I don't like that, let's do this instead."

As of now his role does not extend past the 2017 film but we don't really know for sure. I guess let's take it one movie at a time. My main concern is Spider-Man getting to be in Avengers Infinity War. I wonder when we'll get an announcement for Spider-Man's role in those movies.

As of now his role does not extend past the 2017 film but we don't really know for sure. I guess let's take it one movie at a time. My main concern is Spider-Man getting to be in Avengers Infinity War. I wonder when we'll get an announcement for Spider-Man's role in those movies.

SDCC, they will clarify everything there, this press release was the start, they HAVE TO reveal something about that in Comic Con, they already announced their plans for the rest of the MCU so they have to bring something BIG! and what´s bigger than spidey joining in the MCU right now?

You're right, I think SDCC is the time to clarify such plans. They'll probably discuss Spider-Man's role in the Civil War film and tell us which films to expect him in. Hopefully.

i hope Amy Pascal is in the Marvel Panel, that will indicate spidey is going to be there too

^ The only way I can see Pascal being involved with the Marvel Studios panel is if it were going to include the casting announcement for the new Spidey.

^ The only way I can see Pascal being involved with the Marvel Studios panel is if it were going to include the casting announcement for the new Spidey.

also:

A) Spider-man is part of MCU´s schedule
2) She is a producer for the upcoming spider-man movie
and
D) for maybe a Q&A on the state of Spidey´s permanece in the MCU and the future spinoffs

I posted this in the main Spidey thread, but I think it's even more relevant here...

------------------------------------

Though I've often thought that an "ideal" scenario (to me) would be Marvel buying the Spidey rights outright, I couldn't be happier with the overall nature of the deal.

Simply put, both Marvel and (especially) Sony have everything to gain by collaborating and playing nice and both Marvel and (especially) Sony have everything to lose by bickering and not getting along.

While a good number of us (myself included) have been upset over Sony's recent handling of Spidey, they are merely a movie studio. They're not malicious and they're not a bunch of goobers. Like any other movie studio, they put out some excellent movies, many good movies, many decent movies and, yes, some stinkers.

The problem is that unlike Marvel Studios, the major decision makers are not comic fans. They apply traditional "blockbuster filmmaking" standards to superhero properties. Marvel Studios, on the other hand, exists purely to make tentpole Marvel superhero movies. They completely understand and respect their properties and understand what it takes to successfully translate said properties to film. There's a reason why every single one of their 10 movies to date have been somewhere between above average and excellent, more often than not tending towards the upper portion of that scale.

Sony obviously understands this, and recognize the fact that they have everything to gain by collaborating with the Marvel Studios on these movies. In practice, Sony will basically be the ones cutting the cheques and providing the infrastructure required to produce these films while Marvel Studios, and primarily Kevin Feige, will be the ones providing a majority of the creative input.

As stated before, neither studio benefits from not continuing with this arrangement going forward. Including Spidey in the Infinity Wars movies is a complete no brainer from the perspective of both studios and I expect it to happen unless something completely unforeseen, completely insane and completely stupid occurs.

Excellent post indeed, Fixxxer. I reckon Feige should enlist Greg Weisman in the Creative Department especially after his brilliant SSM run. Given that Weisman is working on Star Wars Rebels within the Disney family, should be something for Feige to consider.

Sony does have final say in the creative process, but they didn't make this deal for *****s n giggles. Their Spider-man property was doing badly, Marvel Studios is at the top, so having made the deal they probably want Feige's guidance on this and will take his advice on things. Then also, the creative team is gonna be totally new so even when this is not entirely Marvel Studios, we should expect a somewhat more fresh and creativity embrasing Spider-man movie. Having Avi Arad and Matt Tolmach pushed aside, it's only benefitial that there's other talent on board than just folks at Marvel

^ According to the current parameters of the deal, Feige and Marvel Studios' direct creative involvement in Sony's affairs vis a vis Spider-Man does not extend beyond the 2017 film, and also does not extend to the spinoffs that Sony has already announced.

The article doesn't say that Marvel Studios WONT be involved with future Spider-man films. If Spider-man 2017 is as big of a hit as they hope, Kevin Feige will oversee the production of rest of the series. It's not like Marvel Studios would be like "ok, the first one was great, doesn't matter what the rest are like" since at that point Spider-man will be one of the big players in MCU. There's no way that with Sony's history with Spider-man they'd let them do MCU involved Spider-man films with totally independent production

Sony: Hey Marvel, thanks for making our 2017 Spider-Man reboot a success. We don't need you anymore. We're bringing back Avi Arad and Matt Tolmach just because we can. Bye!

Sony: Hey Marvel, thanks for making our 2017 Spider-Man reboot a success. We don't need you anymore. We're bringing back Avi Arad and Matt Tolmach just because we can. Bye!

God, I hope this won't happen.
If the reboot succeeds, then Sony should keep working with Marvel. Sony shouldn't get big-headed.

I really don't think it would happen. If the 2017 film is a success then they would want Feige and Marvel to continue helping them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"