Homecoming How much creative control does Marvel have?

Sony has 100% control in the sense that anything they don't like that Marvel dishes out, they can refuse. However, given each of Marvel and Sony's track record with recent CBM movies... Sony is going to be very careful with what they oppose, if anything.

All in all, Marvel has creative control as far as I'm concerned.

Sony wouldn't allow for Marvel to kill off Peter Parker and use Miles Morales for instance. But in terms of the creative process I think Feige will have a lot of control.

Sony has 100% control in the sense that anything they don't like that Marvel dishes out, they can refuse. However, given each of Marvel and Sony's track record with recent CBM movies... Sony is going to be very careful with what they oppose, if anything.

All in all, Marvel has creative control as far as I'm concerned.

This is probably the closest to the truth. They can refuse Feige`s decisions, but they really don`t want to.

Sony wouldn't allow for Marvel to kill off Peter Parker and use Miles Morales for instance. But in terms of the creative process I think Feige will have a lot of control.

Yeah, I think Sony is just protecting themselves in case Marvel tries to do something franchise-altering like killing Peter, making his identity public, etc.

And I doubt Feige would want to do anything to hurt the character of Spider-Man. He's probably been fantasizing about getting to be put in charge of a SM film for a long time.

Also--why would Marvel move a ton of it's own movies for this Spider-Man film if they didn't have any control over it? Spider-Man 2017 is an MCU film (even if Sony is getting the profits).

And I doubt Feige would want to do anything to hurt the character of Spider-Man. He's probably been fantasizing about getting to be put in charge of a SM film for a long time.

I figure that the chances of it happening are close to nil too. But Sony needed to keep that fail-safe just in case.

Oh, NOW people are starting to ask this question <_<

Granted there were a few notable cases, but people were too busy worshipping Marvel that they forgot that the Elephant is still in the room (Sony)! But they still have their gaming devision, so everything's fine!

Excuse me if I revived an old topic that no one cares about, but I was angry when people kept talking about the Spiderman thing and pretends that nothing could go wrong.

Last edited:
Like, does the 2017 movie have to be just better than ASM2 or ASM or does it have to surpass SM2, the current title holder as best Spidey flick, imo?? What level does the 2017 have to reach for people to call it a success?

If the 2017 film is close to SM-2 in quality, it will be a success. None of the other Spider-Man films were as enjoyable and heartfelt like that one.

If the 2017 film is close to SM-2 in quality, it will be a success. None of the other Spider-Man films were as enjoyable and heartfelt like that one.
It should be close to the quality of SM2 if not better. If we were to compare it to MCU films then it should be on par with Iron Man 1 I'd say.

Oh, NOW people are starting to ask this question <_<

Granted there were a few notable cases, but people were too busy worshipping Marvel that they forgot that the Elephant is still in the room (Sony)! But they still have their gaming devision, so everything's fine!

Excuse me if I revived an old topic that no one cares about, but I was angry when people kept talking about the Spiderman thing and pretends that nothing could go wrong.
Sony is a company, not a person. The writers and producers of the older films have been removed (Avi Arad and Matt Tolmach) and Kevin Feige is now producing this film to fit into the MCU.

All except final approval which Sony will say yes 99 of 100 suggestions. They made this deal for Marvel to deal with Spider-man problems afterall.

Sony wouldn't give a damn about spiderman as long as it makes tons of money rightfully. They don't care what Marvel would like to do as long as it brings tons of money.

Also great spiderman solo movie will make tons of money for Disney & Marvel Studios as well.Disney can make tons of money from everything about Spiderman universe except movie profit. So it's not like Sony needs to be paranoid about if Marvel makes Spider-man work well only in MCU.

Don't panic even if Feige wouldn't be the one producing sequels. Probably one of his assitants or someone in his team will be in control.

It still doesn't remove the problem that caused the decline in the first place! May I remind everyone that Sony shuts down a lot of devisions and performs lots of lay offs? Let's not forget their notorious business decisions. Let's use the PS Vita for example. While it had strong launch support in the beginning, a few bad months, Sony is avoiding it like the plague. Any rational company would attempt to turn it around, but Sony decided that it was a lost cause and make it an indie machine! It was unfortunate that The Amazing Spiderman happened when Sony was doing a lot of bad business decisions... I guess people were too busy playing their uncharted to notice!

Is Sony stupid enough to interfere with Marvel's vision? Well, yes. You'd be surprised!

Well if they screw it up then they'll only end up losing Spider-Man altogether. Sony makes some bad decisions but this deal with Marvel is probably the best one that they've made in years. I just don't understand why Sony would bother to make this deal with Marvel and then interfere with them and ruin everything again. Now that Avi Arad and Matt Tolmach are out I have much more faith in the franchise.

Last edited:

Marvel/Disney wouldn't want that eighter imo. Miles Morales (or even black Peter Parker) is just an internet thing.

Majority of people wouldn't like such big change when it comes to major characters.

Sony/Disney would try to make Spider-man franchise as profitable as it can be. They can't gamble with billion dollar franchise. Especially with biggest name in Marvel.

I think Marvel might even be more against Miles Morales (or black Peter Parker) than Sony since they would like to sell everything about Spider-man to majority of people in USA and overseas. Maybe they might use Miles after they sell everything about Peter Parker's Spiderman.

It has nothing to do with racism. It's about what sells more.

Also it should be recognized Disney/Marvel plays safer than other studios. It's more family friendly colorful big budget popcorn movies than other CBMs. Their approach has been perfect for making movies from small kids to
adults.

Marvel/Disney wouldn't want that eighter imo. Miles Morales (or even black Peter Parker) is just an internet thing.

Majority of people wouldn't like such big change when it comes to major characters.

Sony/Disney would try to make Spider-man franchise as profitable as it can be. They can't gamble with billion dollar franchise. Especially with biggest name in Marvel.

I think Marvel might even be more against Miles Morales (or black Peter Parker) than Sony since they would like to sell everything about Spider-man to majority of people in USA and overseas. Maybe they might use Miles after they sell everything about Peter Parker's Spiderman.

It has nothing to do with racism. It's about what sells more.

Also it should be recognized Disney/Marvel plays safer than other studios. It's more family friendly colorful big budget popcorn movies than other CBMs. Their approach has been perfect for making movies from small kids to
adults.

You hit the nail on the head. :up:

Yeah, I think Sony is just protecting themselves in case Marvel tries to do something franchise-altering like killing Peter, making his identity public, etc.

Well, if they could like do a thing where the reality gem returns everything the way it used to be, they could reveal Spidey's identity and then after Infinity War return to the norm. They are still probably not doing that though since this is gonna be a new young Spider-man just at the beginning of his career

Last edited:
I don't think they're gonna go in that direction anyway.

I really think the way the ubiquitous "Internet" discusses Miles/Spidey is both disingenuous and patronizing.

The following is a dramatic reading of "fixxxer vs. The Internet". Resemblance to any Internet or any fixxxer, living or dead, is unintended and purely coincidental.

"I hear there's a black Spider-Man in the comics. Let's do this!"

Ok. Let's start here... there's this thing called Ultimate comics... think of it like an alternate dimension where we see familiar characters from the main Marvel universe, but themes, storylines and the like are distorted, sometimes in interesting ways, but sometimes, in ways that don't work well. And in this universe...

"BLEEP that! I zoned out when you started throwing around words like "comics" and "dimensions" and "interesting" and stuff. Black Spider-Man! Someone call Donald Glover!

That was a little rude, but it's fine. Now, in this Ultimate universe Peter Parker dies... and this 13 year old African American/Latino boy dons the Spider-Man costume. In this take, Peter Parker himself dies and semi-tangentially plays a Uncle Ben role.

"Glover! Glover! Glover!"

But Glover's a grown man.

"I'm bored of Peter Parker."

Look, I know we've gotten a lot of Peter Parker over the years, but trust me, Morales doesn't work without Peter Parker. The MCU isn't going anywhere. I'd rather wait a decade and we might even get Miles-Spidey in the MCU... this would work really well, but requires patience, planning and a love of longform storytelling that is the MCU's forte.

"Racist whitey!"

I'm neither!

"Ok, I just went back and read your rationale. I think I'm willing to concede your larger point. However, BLACK PETER PARKER THEN!!!!"

I BLEEPing give up.

Well, considering where you're posting, I think most people here understand who Miles Morales is and all that. So that hypothetical strawman conversation isn't going to occur. Given that, the response of confusion is rather understandable.

^

Yea, that wasn't directed at posters on the Hype at all. We're (for the most part) obviously a comic-educated bunch. And even the posters who aren't the biggest comic fans, more often than not, are willing to ask questions when appropriate and give well reasoned, educated opinions.

The strawman I was gleefully destroying was basically in the tone of the dregs among a sampling of various (presumably) GA responses on Twitter and YouTube even extending to some writers from various geek outlets and blogs. So yea, the strawman, if strawman it was, lives! :)

I'm amazed that comicbookgirl is arguing for a Miles Morales appearance so we don't have another "white male" superhero film. Then again I shouldn't be amazed... she's awful.

I enjoyed your post, Fixxxer. That sums up how a lot of people online think. I always bring up Bruce Wayne for Batman... we've had more Bruce Wayne Batman movies yet we are still seeing him again in the upcoming BVS movie. We should also be getting Peter Parker in the MCU. Plain and simple.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"