Homecoming How much creative control does Marvel have?

harryoscop

Avenger
Reaction score
At first It seemed like Sony would only be involved as "yes men" but I'm starting to think otherwise.. why would Sony not pay Kevin Feigue for producing the new Spidey movie? I'm starting to think it's Sony who will be the one calling the shots, but with Marvel making suggestions. it's starting to worry me.. :csad: I've even heard a few posters saying that this Spidey won't even be involved with the MCU..
So my question is, just exactly how much creative control does Marvel have over this reboot?

I'd say they have almost complete control, and Sony just has to give it the 'okay'.

^ What these guys said sadly.

Marvel has so carefully laid out their plan these last few years and those to come and there's absolutely no way they'd agree to this if they weren't sure they'd have most of the control over it.

Especially when it comes to Sony and their not-so-great track record recently in the eyes of most people (myself excluded :woot:).

I think Marvel for all intents and purposes are the ones making the decisions, and are running the entire creative process.

Sony, by way of Amy Pascal, is there and no doubt has veto power - but she has no doubt been informed by Sony higher ups that the creative direction done under her watch wasn't working, and to step back and let Marvel work their magic, for now. But if Marvel tries to do something thing too controversial, like using Miles Morales instead of Parker, Sony will probably put their foot down.

Still, I am not happy about Amy Pascal being involved period, even if Kevin Feige no doubt is doing the real work. We know what Amy Pascal stands for, Andrew Garfield and long drawn out award teen romance. I am worried about her overseeing the new team handling a property that was mismanaged when she was actually in charge.

I just hope there is much more to the agreement than what is told in public, so that Marvel has full and unrestricted creative control for all practical purposes.

Avi Arad isn't calling any shots here. And people are forgetting that Kevin Feige played a big role in the first two X-Men films back in the day and has a hand in most Marvel films.

That said, a lot of problems have occurred when other people managed to get in his way. For instance, Blade: Trinity sucked because David S. Goyer decided to give Wesley Snipes less screen time. Hulk fell apart because Ang Lee made a film most politely described as, "boring" and had a weak villain. X-Men 3 was the fault of Brett Ratner caring about powers more than characters. Daredevil was Tom Rothman's fault because he cut out a fourth of the runtime. Elektra was the fault of Tom Rothman slashing the film's budget and trying to do a lo-fi superhero film. Punisher failed because of often lame and cheesy cinematography. Both Fantastic Four movies tried too hard to emulate Joel Schumaker's Batman films which NOBODY wanted to see. Punisher: War Zone suffered from having next to no plot or character development along with poor makeup and costuming. X-Men Origins: Wolverine was filmed without a script. Spider-Man 3 had Sam Raimi not care at all about Venom or Sandman. In fact, Fox had issues with Marvel execs with the exception of Lauren Schuler Donner which is why the X-Men proved to be the exception over at Fox (except for what Brett Ratner and the writers strike could ruin despite her presence).

These were things which Feige didn't have much control over and can best be described as, "other people's fault" with the exception of the first two FF films and Spider-Man 3 where SOME of the blame can be placed on him. Once Marvel Studios was founded, Feige had almost complete control over everything and as a result, the quality went WAY up. The worst Marvel Studios film is Thor: The Dark World and that's still watchable.

The deal for Sony to hand over its cut of the merch was reliant on Feige no longer having a hand in anything Sony did. The end result was an underwhelming and tonally inconsistent reboot series along with both Ghost Rider films. Sony realized the hard way that having Marvel increase their influence on their Spider-Man films was the only way to ensure quality control. My guess is that whatever Feige suggests, Sony will follow through with.

If Kevin Feige says that Hippo should be the main antagonist, Sony is going to cast him since Feige knows exactly what he's doing.

I think of it like the booking hierarchy in the WWE. The creative team writes the shows and presents their work to Vince who makes the final call. Feige and Marvel are the like the WWE creative team, while Sony is Vince McMahon. Except in this case Sony has screwed up enough times that (hopefully) they know it's best to just step aside and let the geniuses work, whereas Vince continues to make everyone's life miserable.

For instance, Blade: Trinity sucked because David S. Goyer decided to give Wesley Snipes less screen time.
It was actually because Snipes was so stoned and crazy. He wouldn't come out of his trailer so they had to make stuff up as they went.

I think Fiege will be heavily involved with the production of Spider-Man and not just the INO produce he is on other MCU movies because the direction of the first movie is pretty important seeing as Spider-Man is now part of the MCU. After the first Spider-Man I think his involvement will lessen with the sequels.

We know what Amy Pascal stands for, Andrew Garfield and long drawn out award teen romance.
Yep, which is exactly why I'm so relieved she's still on board in some capacity. Hopefully she's got at least a little bit of control here (despite her Ryan Gosling suggestion, ugh).

Sony will listen. They know they need to. My concern is more so them getting cocky after Marvel gets the brand back on its feet. What then? A "yeah yeah we hear you... BUT" situation is what I fear.

I think of it like the booking hierarchy in the WWE. The creative team writes the shows and presents their work to Vince who makes the final call. Feige and Marvel are the like the WWE creative team, while Sony is Vince McMahon. Except in this case Sony has screwed up enough times that (hopefully) they know it's best to just step aside and let the geniuses work, whereas Vince continues to make everyone's life miserable.

I'm not even sure how much I buy this to be honest. I know it said Sony will have "final say" in the press release, but Sony is trying to save face here and rebuild some credibility. The optics of giving complete creative control to Marvel would effectively be reaffirming to the public and fanbase: "We can't walk without our crutch (Marvel)". Sony will have a hand in creative for sure, but I'd bet it's a lot more fluid then having "FINAL SAY"

Imagine a scenario where Marvel disagrees with Sony's final decision and hate the results that come from it....They aren't going to just shrug their shoulders and move on, they would likely use the leverage they have (from what we know to this point) and cut Sony off from the mother teat that is the MCU. Not only is that a potential creative nightmare for Sony in that it dramatically cuts story potential and eliminates Spidey from appearing in MEGA crossover events, it's also a giant PR nightmare for a fledgling/rebuilding studio. Remember, Marvel want Spidey, they don't need him. If Marvel has a hand in the final decision, then they'd also have to take the blame in potential failures, which would keep both studios on equal footing at least. That's a good thing for Sony, so help foster a collaborative ethic.

Last edited:
Don't be fooled by the press release,that was just a way for Sony not to lose(furthermore) its face. Feige is a genius,he'll handle it.

Sony is going to listen to Marvel or why bother collaborate in the first place? It's not like there is money exchanging hands.

Oh Spider-Man is in the MCU for sure, don't let anyone tell you otherwise. The question here is how much involvement Kevin Feige has over Sony. No idea.

Craig pointed out how Sony has "final creative control", which means they're going to look at what Marvel wants to do and give it the stamp of approval. I'm positive whatever Marvel whips up, they're going to think twice before making their own drastic changes.

I hope Sony takes a backseat in most of the creative process and says, "Marvel, do your thing. Make us a good movie and we'll throw the Sony name on it."

I love how officially Marvel studio has none, but in reality SONY will basically do exactly what Fiege tells them to do. The only thing SONY cares about anymore is money, if they still have any idea, we wouldn't be here.

it is of my understanding that sony's columbia pictures will be placed in front of the movie (it is still their movie), but everything else about it will be marvel. it will be helmed by the creative teams of marvel. at least, that's what I thought. the only thing sony about it is that sony still owns him and it's a solo movie so it's their movie.
my post in ultron 5's thread

I'll repeat what I've said elsewhere: Sony is commanding this ship, while Feige and Marvel are steering it.

If you think this deal relegates Sony to the position of just being 'yes men' on a character for whom they still control majority rights, you're simply not understanding the nature of this arrangement correctly.

I'll repeat what I've said elsewhere: Sony is commanding this ship, while Feige and Marvel are steering it.

If you think this deal relegates Sony to the position of just being 'yes men' on a character for whom they still control majority rights, you're simply not understanding the nature of this arrangement correctly.
John Campea, is that you? Just kidding. lol

I would not say that Sony is just being reduced to "yes men," but I agree that they are commanding the ship. However, as long as they listen to Feige/Marvel, they will be fine, especially now that Avi Arad and Matt Tolmach are gone.

please explain it to me, i don´t get it

i feel that Sony did TASM2 the way it is trying to be Avengers but not really, they have no idea what to do, no vision, anything, so them cooperating with Marvel means they want their input on the franchise... Marvel moved their release dates just for them and they won´t even get a penny, Sony wants Marvel, Marvel can use a BIG character without spending a single dollar in the MCU and the gains of that movie will also be BIG, so this for me seems like a win win, Sony scraches Marvel´s back with Civil War and Marvel returns the favor with the movie in 2017, am i getting anything wrong?

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"