How much influence do you think us fans had in creating X3?

ProfeZZor X

Master of all that is ice
Reaction score
Considering all of the events that take place in the film, such as the deaths of certain characters, the introduction of new and long-anticipated characters, popular X-Men finally using their abilities more on screen, matched up confrontations, and tag team-like fighting styles.

Plus, with dozens of forums like this, hundreds of thousands of letters to the studios, hundreds of fans sites, mainstream internet site mentions, X-Men related cosumer goods flying off the shelves, and overall popularity of the X-Men itself in comics and abroad, how much fan influence would you say made a difference in the way Fox made X-Men 3?

I think we had more say than they will ever admit... but only on the smaller, non-pivotal details. The main structure of the movie was set in stone by studio politics, financial considerations, actor availabilities. But I am sure some of the fan suggestions are in there. I asked Simon about it and he just ignored the question. They wouldn't want to admit that fans had a direct influence.

I don't think the fans had any type of unfluence at all. Fox have done everything the fans did not want them to do in this movie. This is not the way the X-men should have ended.

If they had listen to the fans and took their time with the movie, It could have been the best of the three X movies.

I'm mixed on this question.

When I see all that's been done with the Storm character, I think the outcries from the fanbase have certainly been considered (Storm taking flight at least five times in the film, firing lighting from her hands, a specific nemesis--Callisto, a larger leading role, et al). These things, along with fans' desires to see a Fire Vs. Ice duel, "Fastball Special", Sentinels etc., have ranked high on fans' wishlist for a few years now. And we're finally getting them in "realistic" parameters.

But when I look at what's been done with Cyclops I have to change my tune a bit. For the greater part of a year now the fanbase has complained about that AICN script, which revealed his death. And while some things from that draft were obviously dropped (i.e. Logan/Storm sexual tryst/ romance), the greatest controversy has centered over Scott's death. That impact on the fanbase has apparently been totally ignored.

So I think for some of us, this is going to be a bittersweet experience.

Lightning Strikez! said:
I'm mixed on this question.

When I see all that's been done with the Storm character, I think the outcries from the fanbase have certainly been considered (Storm taking flight at least five times in the film, firing lighting from her hands, a specific nemesis--Callisto, a larger leading role, et al). These things, along with fans' desires to see a Fire Vs. Ice duel, "Fastball Special", Sentinels etc., have ranked high on fans' wishlist for a few years now. And we're finally getting them in "realistic" parameters.

Those fan wishlists are nice to have... however they may have listened to the fans who thought careful and deliberate story was "feminine" a bit too much. Oh well.

Ill be looking forward to pyro vs iceman.

I came up with the name.

When X2 came out everybody was clamoring that X3 will feature the "Dark Phoenix saga!" but I was all "Nah, Magneto should be the villain in this final installment of the initial trilogy. Villainwise, it should be Magneto's Last Stand." A few others caught on to this idea and the premise sPread slowly about.

Either that or I totally read the future again.

If they listened to fans, there would be no need for this poll.

impossible to tell, especially considering we all want different things

Ha! Fox actually listening to fans... that's funny. That's why

Cyke dies, and Wolverine gets to be the hero at the end.

I voted - NONE!

Its hollywood and they are in it for the money nothing more.

Will be probably years before we acctually get to see a true X-Men movie made.

Probably maybe someone from this board who will someday become/rise up to be a movie/film producer who has a true passion for Marvel,DC, Anime, and stuff like that.

Just hope I'm still alive to see those movies when created.

of course weve had no influence

Tom Rothman has nothing but contempt for "us fans."

None at all. i.e LS post regarding the AICN script. And Storm was Halle's doing, not the fans!

Lightning Strikez! said:
Worthy? Seems like you've changed tunes lately? :confused:

Not completely. I'm still anticipating the movie, but after hearing
Cyclops indeed dies
, I have no doubts about who's responsible for that.

Rothman.

Very little considering the movie is and will be Wolverine and cameos. X-Fans definitely wanted better treatment of Cyclops, Colossus, Gambit and Angel then what we appear to be getting.

Very little. NO friggin' Gambit. The only MEMBER of the core X-Men team from the 90s cartoon who's never an appearance. Even Jubilee has been in all three movies (though in a small role). Lame-o.

The death of Cyclops isn't sit well with me either. There's too many things that I'm disgruntled about X3. However, I will be seeing it of course :)

CapBeerCino said:
None at all. i.e LS post regarding the AICN script. And Storm was Halle's doing, not the fans!

Couldn't disagree more.

If there wasn't such a near-unanimous outcry for Storm to be improved, Halle wouldn't have even known her performance was lackluster in the first place. She (along with the directors, producers and writers) admits she got her inspiration from the fanbase--and used her star power to make it happen.

Remember, both X-films were successful WITH Halle's flawed portrayal. There'd be no reason to improve on it if Marvel and FOX didn't think that the fans' complaints (which motivated the non-comic-reading actress to fight) had some gravity.

I never thought Halle was a good choice for Storm, really. I don't hate her or anything, but I just never cared for her as Storm at all. It doesn't mean she' not good in other movies, mind you. She's talented and beautiful.

Lightning Strikez! said:
Couldn't disagree more.

If there wasn't such a near-unanimous outcry for Storm to be improved, Halle wouldn't have even known her performance was lackluster in the first place. She (along with the directors, producers and writers) admits she got her inspiration from the fanbase--and used her star power to make it happen.

Remember, both X-films were successful WITH Halle's flawed portrayal. There'd be no reason to improve on it if Marvel and FOX didn't think that the fans' complaints (which motivated the non-comic-reading actress to fight) had some gravity.

Yeah okay so the fans affected Helle and she affected Fox. It was still her doing and she was able to do so cause she's a a-list star. If it was for the fans alone, who knows?

CapBeerCino said:
Yeah okay so the fans affected Helle and she affected Fox. It was still her doing and she was able to do so cause she's a a-list star. If it was for the fans alone, who knows?

But that's really besides the point.

The thread asks the question "How much influence do you think us fans had?" Whether it's direct or indirect, the influence was definitely there...it was a big part of the equation. At least for Storm anyway (I'm not discounting Halle's influence as a factor--but it's not the sole factor).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"