Sequels How should Apocalypse be handled as a villain in the film series?

The Overlord

Superhero
Reaction score
How should Apocalypse be handled as a villain in the film series? Personally I think he would need a bit of retooling to work on screen, but it can be done. I think he needs less of a convoluted backstory to work on screen. Here is what I would do.

Instead of being born 5000 years ago, Apocalypse was born in modern times. Jean Grey was just one of a few level 5 mutants who have been born into the modern age, Apocalypse is another. When he was young Apocalypse had trouble controling his powrs and accidently killed hios own parents. This event made the young man lose his sanity. Soon after that apocalypse began to create a bizzare mythology around himself. He believes that he was the reincarnation of an ancient egyptian god named "En Sabah Nur" that mutants were created by the gods to replace humanity. He began to call himself "Apocalypse" for he saw it as his duty to clense the earth of humanity.

Apoclaypse was a very charismatic figure and soon mutants who begun to thing their cause was lost because of the death of Xavier and depowering of Magneto flocked to Apocalypse. They were lured in by the idea that mutants were not merely the next step in evolution, but actually demi god creatures. Soon the formed a cult around Apocalypse and worshipped him as a god. Soon Apocalypse's egomania and maddness increased and he began to believe that some mutants were weak and unworthy to live the new paradise he would create.

I think Apocalypse is too much a style over substance villain to be the main bad guy for the films. Sinister would be a much better choice IMO.

I think Apocalypse is too much a style over substance villain to be the main bad guy for the films. Sinister would be a much better choice IMO.

Now see you're not being fun. Almost any character can be improved in the hands of the right writer. Apocalypse was actually fairly impressive in X-Men TAs and X-Men evolution, much more so then the comics. I feel Apocalypse always had the potenial to be the X-Men's "epic threat villain", but potenial was realized more in cartoons than in the comics. So come on, get in on the fun and engage in some basless speculation.

Personally i dont see the problem in him being born in ancient egypt. There should be a first mutant somewhere, why not be him. Perhaps his dormancy until now has been self inflicted until mutant kind was ready. The power displayed by Pheonix alerted him, now he wants to bring himself to usher in a new era. I was thinking of Sinister being his instrument into bringing him back with the use of powerful mutants, kind of like the twelve storyline. Id set this up like a triology with us finding out the cure was manipulated by Dr. Nathaniel Essex to alter mutant genetics, cancelling out the weak, and over power the strong. So in essence many mutants stay depowered, but someone like Rogue gets her powers back and enhanced, explaining her gettins strength and flight. For the first movie there could be some side story being explored while we see the cure's effects like registration and sentinels. Second movie Sinister gets the Nasty Boys to round of powerful mutants, and maybe somewhere in the film Angel ets engineered by Sinister as Arch Angel and we get the formation of the horsemen. Final movie as Apocalypse coming forth and we get an epic battle. I think Apocalypse can be fleshed out well but works best as an End with the means to bring him about make an interesting story.

Personally i dont see the problem in him being born in ancient egypt. There should be a first mutant somewhere, why not be him. Perhaps his dormancy until now has been self inflicted until mutant kind was ready. The power displayed by Pheonix alerted him, now he wants to bring himself to usher in a new era. I was thinking of Sinister being his instrument into bringing him back with the use of powerful mutants, kind of like the twelve storyline. Id set this up like a triology with us finding out the cure was manipulated by Dr. Nathaniel Essex to alter mutant genetics, cancelling out the weak, and over power the strong. So in essence many mutants stay depowered, but someone like Rogue gets her powers back and enhanced, explaining her gettins strength and flight. For the first movie there could be some side story being explored while we see the cure's effects like registration and sentinels. Second movie Sinister gets the Nasty Boys to round of powerful mutants, and maybe somewhere in the film Angel ets engineered by Sinister as Arch Angel and we get the formation of the horsemen. Final movie as Apocalypse coming forth and we get an epic battle. I think Apocalypse can be fleshed out well but works best as an End with the means to bring him about make an interesting story.

There are few problems with him born in anceint Egypt. Problem one, he has been around for 5000 years and he has god like powers and advanced technology, so why he didn't he conquer the world a thousand years ago, there no X-Men back then to stop him. What has he been doing for 5000 years?! You think he would have done something, set up a secret society or something, not just do jack for 5000 year. Also mutants are supposed to the by product of a recent evolutionary jump, so it wouldn't make sense that there would a mutant 5000 years ago, if that made sense, we would have seen mutants through out history, but we haven't. Plus Apocalypse being 5000 years old conflicts with the semi realistic feel of the previous films, plus its needlessly convoluted. I really not think its needed.

There are few problems with him born in anceint Egypt. Problem one, he has been around for 5000 years and he has god like powers and advanced technology, so why he didn't he conquer the world a thousand years ago, there no X-Men back then to stop him. What has he been doing for 5000 years?! You think he would have done something, set up a secret society or something, not just do jack for 5000 year. Also mutants are supposed to the by product of a recent evolutionary jump, so it wouldn't make sense that there would a mutant 5000 years ago, if that made sense, we would have seen mutants through out history, but we haven't. Plus Apocalypse being 5000 years old conflicts with the semi realistic feel of the previous films, plus its needlessly convoluted. I really not think its needed.

i never said to use the god like powers, he can still be advanced. But not quite alien tech. Again that why i said to use Sinister as a means to aid him gathering powerful mutants, i wouldnt make Apocalypse pwoerful on his own but like with the twelve story from the comics that he gets powered from other mutants. It would make sense that without full use of his powers hed wait through the ages until the time he can be at his peak. If he thinks hell be all powerful then it wouldnt matter if x-men exist or not. If you think nothing can stop you, you can careless who is around. And yes in the movies mutants are thought to be a recent evolutionary trait, but there are exceptions to every rule. And with a decent script it still works well. Again in the movies I suggested he be used more as an End then the actual means.

How should Apocalypse be handled as a villain in the film series?

He shouldn't be "handled" at all cause he is too unrealistic to have in an X-Men movie.

I don't see how they could seriously work him into the franchise without it looking ridiculous. Apocalypse worked in the X-Men Animated Series, cause it was just that, and animated series set in fantasy. The X-Films are another story. They have been written and set in such a realistic style that putting Apocalypse in would make it absolutely weird.

Sinister could definitely be worked in as Nathaniel Essex. But Apocalypse? No, just no.

I think Apocalypse should be handled as one of the first mutants who just has immortality as his base power,
-he should have well executed backflashes that tell of when he ruled nearly all of the world, with the strongest army, and fell only when he was betrayed
-His purpose for revival will be to dominate the world and eradicate the weak
-with his return he will focus on rebuildiung his all powerful army, by 1st gathering the 4 hoursemen
-it would be really cool if they could find an x-men character who can raise the dead, they could be one of the hoursmen and raise apocalypses army, (that'd be cool to see the x-men fight massive hoards of skeleton based warriors as they crawl from the sands of the Egyptian dessert)
-Also he should be portrayed as as a Darwinist to the extreme, but not cheesy like "I am the almighty Apocalypse, fear me", more serious and cynical
-He will hate humans, and will not hesitate too dispose of them and any mutant who sides with them
-Sinister should be ever grateful to him, but will betray him as he was betrayed before

I think they should base it exactly how he was in the 90's cartoon.

I strongly wish they put him as main villain
However, i dislike the "conqueror" idea. Maybe they could put him speaking about survival of the fittest and trying to anihilate weaks.
If you look at the comic and TAS you'll notice that he does not hate mutants, but instead he somewhat wants a strongest world.

why he didn't conquer the world 5000 years before? He was waiting until there was the day where other strong mutants could raise a war of the strongest.

saludos

If you do Apocalypse he'd have to have an alter ego. It's the only way he'd work...

In a more "human" form he could be some kind of fiery political figure that's steering the world towards war (his survival of the fittest thing), and in his mutant form he'd further his own goals via terrorism and the like.

Thus, he'd either have to be completely reimagined physically, or given the ability to shapeshift.

I think Apocalyspe should be a mic the TAS version and Evolution version...I like the little exchange 'tween him n Xavier durin the Evo finale, bu since Magneto tried to turn humans n2 mutants I think Apoc. should eliminate the human race end eventually his power leads him to aradicate mutant life as well believing "survival of the fittest"...I think 5000 yrs is to farfetched mayb make him a 1000yrs old since that more believable...I think during those 1000yrs, he palyed a role in some of America's historic events i.e war(s) and disease) and eventually he was defeated by a band of mutants similar to the X-Men and sealed away until Mr. Sinister found him...

If you do Apocalypse he'd have to have an alter ego. It's the only way he'd work...

In a more "human" form he could be some kind of fiery political figure that's steering the world towards war (his survival of the fittest thing), and in his mutant form he'd further his own goals via terrorism and the like.

Thus, he'd either have to be completely reimagined physically, or given the ability to shapeshift.
I like the sound of this for X6. I'd like it to somehow incorporate some comic aspects, but this sounds like a good place to start. Maybe the political figure could be (very) loosely based on the Antichrist from the Left Behind novels? (not sure how many people will know what I'm talking about, lol) I don't think that the similarities should be very strong - maybe something that only big fans of the Left Behind series would pick up on. I just thought of that character when you described your idea for Apocalypse, and I think it might make a good starting ground - especially since "apocalypse" is a Biblical concept. :cwink:

I think the difference between mutant and human forms could be something like the difference between normal Colossus and metal Colossus - not really shapeshifting, but two different appearances he can take on.

PS: I hope I didn't give the impression that I'm a big Left Behind fan. I read most of the books, but I didn't like them. :oldrazz:

well whatever the case, please no more of Wolverine saving the day again.

well whatever the case, please no more of Wolverine saving the day again.
Actually, I wouldn't say Logan "saved the day" in any of the movies except the third one.

In the first one, it was a group effort at best. Sure, Logan broke the machine; but he couldn't have done that without Scott blasting Magneto.

In the second one, Magneto, Storm, Kurt, and Jean were the ones who "saved the day". Magneto saved mutants by making Cerebro attack humans; Storm saved humans by freezing Jason Stryker; Kurt also saved humans by teleporting Storm into the room so she could freeze Jason; and Jean saved the X-Men by telekinetically making the jet take off while she held back the lake.

In X3, Logan was the hero.

I like the sound of this for X6. I'd like it to somehow incorporate some comic aspects, but this sounds like a good place to start. Maybe the political figure could be (very) loosely based on the Antichrist from the Left Behind novels? (not sure how many people will know what I'm talking about, lol) I don't think that the similarities should be very strong - maybe something that only big fans of the Left Behind series would pick up on. I just thought of that character when you described your idea for Apocalypse, and I think it might make a good starting ground - especially since "apocalypse" is a Biblical concept. :cwink:

I think the difference between mutant and human forms could be something like the difference between normal Colossus and metal Colossus - not really shapeshifting, but two different appearances he can take on.

PS: I hope I didn't give the impression that I'm a big Left Behind fan. I read most of the books, but I didn't like them. :oldrazz:

Eh... The Antichrist in "Left Behind" first took over the world and then plunged it into a war in order to slowly bring about the End of Days. That's not really Apocalypse's style. He doesn't want to end the world... He just wants it to be a world where only the fittest survive. He's not interested in ruling the world until all that has been hashed out.

In my mind it's nigh impossible to make a movie Apocalypse faithful to the comics. Of the X-Men's villains, he's one of the more far fetched, and that doesn't translate well.

I mean... I suppose they could have his tomb be found in Egypt at the beginning of the film, and then he's awakened, creates horsemen, and tries to bring about his war... But that sounds a bit like "The Mummy" if you ask me.

I still like the idea of Apocalypse as a shape-shifter that works in the government, and actually backs the Sentinel project in order to bring the world closer to the war he wants... And then once all hell breaks loose he turns into the comic looking version of himself and joins the fray.

Eh... The Antichrist in "Left Behind" first took over the world and then plunged it into a war in order to slowly bring about the End of Days. That's not really Apocalypse's style. He doesn't want to end the world... He just wants it to be a world where only the fittest survive. He's not interested in ruling the world until all that has been hashed out.

In my mind it's nigh impossible to make a movie Apocalypse faithful to the comics. Of the X-Men's villains, he's one of the more far fetched, and that doesn't translate well.

I mean... I suppose they could have his tomb be found in Egypt at the beginning of the film, and then he's awakened, creates horsemen, and tries to bring about his war... But that sounds a bit like "The Mummy" if you ask me.

I still like the idea of Apocalypse as a shape-shifter that works in the government, and actually backs the Sentinel project in order to bring the world closer to the war he wants... And then once all hell breaks loose he turns into the comic looking version of himself and joins the fray.
I think it's that sort of manipulation of the government - seeming to be on their side when he really wants to eliminate their entire species as well as many of his own kind - that made me think of the Left Behind series. Again, I don't think there should be a very strong resemblance between the two characters, but I like the small connection. :yay:

I think it's that sort of manipulation of the government - seeming to be on their side when he really wants to eliminate their entire species as well as many of his own kind - that made me think of the Left Behind series. Again, I don't think there should be a very strong resemblance between the two characters, but I like the small connection. :yay:

But Apocalypse, at his core, really doesn't want to eliminate all non powered humans. He just wants only the strong to survive. If the strong turn out to be non powered humans, he doesn't mind.

I think Apocalypse should be much more of a mastermind than physical combat villain. He should be shrouded in mystery giving Sinister orders and Sinister should be the main physical villain.

I think Apocalypse should also be mechanically enhanced, so that he can somewhat resemble the comic counterpart. He should not be giant sized, but maybe BORG-like with tubes and wires and stuff. Maybe wearing a cloak so we only see bits of him at a time...

Fox refuses to use any mutant villains other than Magneto.

I think Apocalypse should be much more of a mastermind than physical combat villain. He should be shrouded in mystery giving Sinister orders and Sinister should be the main physical villain.

I think Apocalypse should also be mechanically enhanced, so that he can somewhat resemble the comic counterpart. He should not be giant sized, but maybe BORG-like with tubes and wires and stuff. Maybe wearing a cloak so we only see bits of him at a time...

Why would Sinister be the main physical villain? That wouldn't make sense. Apocalypse has seen more combat than Sinister has in the comics, by far.

I reall liked the Apocalypse from X-Men Evolution before he put on the armor from Rama Tut.

Apocalypse would probably be changed quite a bit, especially visually. Thus far, Fox hasn't been keen on depicting Galactus, Phoenix, the sentinels, etc. as they are in the books, if at all... so if Apocalypse is ever considered a suitable villain, I at least expect he will look very different.

Apocalypse would probably be changed quite a bit, especially visually. Thus far, Fox hasn't been keen on depicting Galactus, Phoenix, the sentinels, etc. as they are in the books, if at all... so if Apocalypse is ever considered a suitable villain, I at least expect he will look very different.

Well...

There's almost no way Fox could have depicted the 616 version of Galactus. I mean, the movies are gone for a somewhat more realistic version of everything, and a gigantic guy in purple and pink armor wouldn't work on the big screen, especially since half the people watching the movie had never actually heard of Galactus.

I thought they did a solid job depicting the Phoenix.

And we're never going to see Sentinels, no matter what pepole want. I mean, how do you film a fight scene where people sized mutants fight building sized Sentinels and put them in the same frame during a movie? If we saw Sentinels they'd have to be horribly scaled down.

I wouldn't mind sentinels that were 8 feet tall....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"