How would X-Men be rebooted?

Lord

All Mighty
Reaction score
I've been thinking, a reboot will eventually happen, how would the franchise be rebooted? Start with the original 5 this time? Or go the Ultimate X-Men route?

I'm not sure if a reboot *is* inevitable. Fox could just James Bond the franchise.

I'd be down for the Ultimate X-Men route
I'm not sure if a reboot *is* inevitable. Fox could just James Bond the franchise.
That is a possibility though it might be harder to do with an ensemble cast

Last edited:
The X-Men universe is definitely going to be "fixed" now it's Brian Singer's baby again.

The production order...
X-Men
X2: X-Men United
X-men 3: The Last Stand
X-Men Origins: Wolverine (set in 1979)
X-Men: First Class (set in 1962)
The Wolverine

...being out of chronological order doesn't help.

So forget for a moment the inconsistencies with character ages etc and start by following Wolverine's story chronologically...
X-Men Origins: Wolverine
X-Men
The Wolverine

...and after the lead into DOFP at the end of The Wolverine, skip back in time to...
X-Men: First Class
...I think in the lead up to X-Men: DOFP and X-Men: AOA that's probably the best viewing order to keep things as linear as possible until altered timelines come into play.

Now this is how I think it might play out...

Timeline 1:
X-Men Origins: Wolverine
X-Men
The Wolverine
X-Men: Days Of Future Past (future bits)

...leads to the future that Charlie and Eric want Wolverine to travel back and avert, but as a result the events of X-Men: DOFP are going to create...

Timeline 2:
X-Men: Days Of Future Past (70s bits)
X-Men: Age Of Apocalypse

...which I think will then have to be averted by maybe stopping Apocalypse from travelling back and possessing Magneto.

Which will then lead us to...
Timeline 3 - This will be the "fixed" timeline that Singer can set up any way he wants it...

Characters from erased future timelines can be kept trapped in present day like Bishop with their "future" no longer existing.
Characters from the 60s can be brought forward to the present day, which would work if it's part of the same series of events that creates the "fix"
...and characters that have already been killed off like Scott and Jean can be brought back into existence if required with the explanation that the second "fix" prevented their demise .... or alternatively, they could be brought back in the X-Men: Age Of Apocalypse timeline and those versions retained.

:)

Last edited:
With a Deadpool movie!

DEADPOOL! BLAM! BABES! MAYHEM!

Although it probably wouldn't make that much money if it's rated R. And fans probably wouldn't want to see a PG-13 Deadpool film, but I think Hulk vs. Wolverine, Ultimate Alliance 2, and Shattered Dimensions did a good job portraying a PG-13 (and slightly more serious) Deadpool.

I practically guarantee if they reboot the franchise that Wolverine will be the focus. Because he always is, whether it is movies, comics, video games, or cartoons.

About the only exception I can think of since he became popular was X-Men Evolution. And even there the creators were always under pressure from the studio to include more Wolverine. That's how X-23 got created.

I would reboot it by having Wolverine take a break and bring in Cyclops as the main focus.

I would reboot it by having Wolverine take a break and bring in Cyclops as the main focus.

Or better yet, still bring Cyclops in, but have the characters balanced out like a true ensemble.

I've been thinking, a reboot will eventually happen, how would the franchise be rebooted? Start with the original 5 this time?
Make it Cyclops centric and Original 5, maybe one or two switch up members (Gambit, Kitty, Storm or Nightcrawler) and Sinister as the main villain. Slowly start to build Phoinex with Jean and have Emma Frost as an unreliable allies to the X-Men. This way we can have a great telepath battle between her and Jean at some point. Include Sentinels, but no Magneto or Wolverine right off the bat.

When they do introduce Magneto, set up that he has children quicker then this time around. Maybe have him on Genosha with them like WATX and House Of M. Gives a great new battleground and environment while setting Mags in a different light , while the audience is still aware of who he was in the past.

When they get to Rogue have her be a rebellious girl on the wrong side because shes a bit driven by anger, confused and scared with being a mutant. She makes the mistake of absorbing too much of a rival mutant giving her the ability to fly and have super strength. This way we can finally see her beat the **** out of some sentinels/mutant baddies in the future, and give her a more tough as nails attitude.

Last edited:
How would y'all feel if they moved Nicholas Hoult's Hank McCoy to the present day and brought Kelsey Grammer back as Dark Beast from Age Of Apocalypse?

EDIT: and...

What fixes would you suggest to be in place post-X-Men: Age Of Apocalypse to...

...rectify the inconsistencies in the ages of Emma Frost (Origins:Wolverine, First Class), Storm & Cyclops (briefly glimpsed in First Class)?

...establish what the relationship is between the movie versions of Scott and Alex Summer (Cyclops & Havok)?

...re-instate Cyclops and Jean Grey to allow for the "original" team of them, Beast, Angel & Iceman to have their own movie outing?

Last edited:
Either or both.

At the end of DOFP we have a new series with McaVoys Xavier recruiting a teenage Scott, Jean & Storm in the 80s

At the end of DOFP, Wolverine reawakens in the future to find that Scott never died in X3 and Jean didn't die at the end of X3, she awoke in her grave a few weeks later. And with events of X1, X2 & X3 occurring slightly differently due to Logan's time stream meddling the characters are a little different and look different with Scott being more the leader

EDIT: and...

What fixes would you suggest to be in place post-X-Men: Age Of Apocalypse to...

.[1]..rectify the inconsistencies in the ages of Emma Frost (Origins:Wolverine, First Class), Storm & Cyclops (briefly glimpsed in First Class)?

...[2]establish what the relationship is between the movie versions of Scott and Alex Summer (Cyclops & Havok)?

...re-instate Cyclops and Jean Grey to allow for the "original" team of them, Beast, Angel & Iceman to have their own movie outing?

[1]No rectification needed. They're two different characters. First Class Emma was called Emma Frost on screen and had Emma Fronts fashion and powers, Emma in Origins was a different age and never called Emma Frost on-screen (only Kayla's sister) and only had diamond skin.

[2]I'd say Scott and Alex aren't related they just share the same surname, nothing in the movies said they were or weren't related.

They could have Scott as a baby when Alex and he jumped from the plane and had them separated. Say the crash occurred in 1961 with Alex as a teen and Scott as his newborn brother. Scott would be 19 in 1980 and usable hence forth (OT was never dated just not too distant future) and Alex could've had the event trigger his mutation which got him locked up just prior to First Class, a year later.

Last edited:
[1]No rectification needed. They're two different characters. First Class Emma was called Emma Frost on screen and had Emma Fronts fashion and powers, Emma in Origins was a different age and never called Emma Frost on-screen (only Kayla's sister) and only had diamond skin

Yeah I can go with that :yay:

[2]I'd say Scott and Alex aren't related they just share the same surname, nothing in the movies said they were or weren't related..

It's disappointing that it has to be so, It's a shame there doesn't seem to be an obvious fix for this :huh:

They could have Scott as a baby when Alex and he jumped from the plane and had them separated. Say the crash occurred in 1961 with Alex as a teen and Scott as his newborn brother. Scott would be 19 in 1980 and usable hence forth (OT was never dated just not too distant future) and Alex could've had the event trigger his mutation which got him locked up just prior to First Class, a year later.

Still rather have their ages more like in the comics though.

Either or both.

At the end of DOFP we have a new series with McaVoys Xavier recruiting a teenage Scott, Jean & Storm in the 80s

At the end of DOFP, Wolverine reawakens in the future to find that Scott never died in X3 and Jean didn't die at the end of X3, she awoke in her grave a few weeks later. And with events of X1, X2 & X3 occurring slightly differently due to Logan's time stream meddling the characters are a little different and look different with Scott being more the leader

I'd be happy with either of these...

I did think myself about the possibility of an 80s setting for the movie after X-Men:Age Of Apocalypse ... It would be a good way to give a nod to that era.

I've been thinking some more about this, and I think a cool way to take the story following a universe reset after X-Men: Apocalypse would be...

X-Factor (or maybe "Uncanny X-Men"?) -Cyclops (James Marsden), Phoenix (Famke Janssen), Beast (Nicholas Hoult), Iceman (Shawn Ashmore) & Archangel (Ben Foster)take on Sinister, Madeline Pryor (also Janssen), Dark Beast (Kelsey Grammer) and a team of Marauders.

X-Force - Bishop,Warpath,Sunspot,Blink and Ink team up with Cable to take on Genesis and the Six Pack
(...of course it could be that Bishop and co end up in the main X-Men team further down the line with Storm, Colossus and Shadowcat, and we get a Wolverine led "Uncanny X-Force"?)

X-Men: X-cutioners Song - featuring X-Factor. X-Force and the X-Men (Storm, Wolverine, Shadowcat, Colossus and others) .... vs Stryfe

...so basically a "Cable" themed trilogy :word:...
....oh and of course you'd have to squeeze in Deadpool and Wolverine 3 as well...

...and then another couple of movies before...

X-Men: Onslaught .... does what it says on the tin.

Last edited:
Uh, I guess they already did it with FIrst Class. But anyway- I'd just start off with an all new team, no WOlverine- Jackman is still too iconic and in fairness I'd like to see the focus be on other characters who are lesser used.

Wolverine is a must if they're going to reboot this franchise. I dunno how many people I've met that think Wolverine's name is X-Man

Uh, I guess they already did it with FIrst Class. But anyway- I'd just start off with an all new team, no WOlverine- Jackman is still too iconic and in fairness I'd like to see the focus be on other characters who are lesser used.

That's another argument for shifting the "original" five X-Men over to an "X-Factor" movie, to leave some space to bring in new characters...

Take out Cyclops, Phoenix, Beast, Iceman and Angel/Archangel ... Wolverine ... and Rogue (not appearing in DOFP) and you're left with...

Professor X, Storm, Shadowcat and Colossus from the original trilogy...
...and Bishop, Warpath, Sunspot, Blink and Ink if they're all still around after DOFP.

So who next to add to the roster?
Any story you can tell with Sunfire, Nightcrawler and Thunderbird you can tell just as well with Sunspot, Blink and Warpath so I'd then look to 80s and 90s recruits...

Marvel Girl? - weave her story in with Cable's
Gambit? - already appeared in Origins:Wolverine (though I'd like to see him and Rogue on screen together)
Psylocke? - Probably best left alone after The Last Stand

That would leave...
Longshot, Dazzler, Forge and Jubilee
...as the next obvious choices to add to the roster, along with a couple from...

Cannonball, Mirage, Karma, Magma, Magik, Cypher, Warlock, Wolfsbane
Skids, Rictor, Boom-Boom, Shatterstar, Feral, Siryn (already seen in X2), Domino, Caliban, Strong Guy, Marrow, Chamber, Armor and Pixie

...out of that lot I think Cannonball, Wolfsbane, Boom-Boom, Domino and Marrow are the better choices to include in a movie.

hmm.. I like Longshot, but,well, the traditional origin is kind of out-there for the world they’ve established so far. What is the origin of Ultimate Longshot? On a side note, I suppose it might be best to describe his power as having extremely enhanced reflexes and agility- the “super luck” power is probably too abstract.

Dazzler and Jubilee I could see them being perceived as redundant in terms of their powers. Obviously, Dazzler absorbs sound so fans know it’s not the same, but.. On another level, I could see producers “merging” the characters, and having an Asian young woman who is always wearing her MP3 player with headphones as a ‘sound source’ for her energy blasts, and she would probably be wearing roller skates.

Forge- I’d like to see Forge, but the Vietnam veteran angle might have to be updated to the Gulf Wars. You could give him any type of gadget, and more or less justify it with his hyper-invention power.

I’d like to see as many of the original New Mutants characters as possible. I’m less sold on the “middle-era” members but hopefully the portrayals would be true to their powers. It would be interesting to see how Cannonball is used- his flying power doesn’t involve hovering at all, and it’s never “slow”—so there’s a certain cinematic challenge.
Karma’s easy, just give her an ‘eye glow’ thing when her power activates.
With Sunspot, I suppose a CGI black-glow could be done when he powers up.
Skids- I guess a thin CGI force field is appropriate.
Rusty/”Firefist”- I’m not all in for another “fire guy” right off the bat. But he wouldn’t be horrible.
Rictor- the quake powers haven’t been seen on screen yet. I would rather see Magma instead, and add on the lava power.
I suppose Wolfsbane is easy enough if she just turns into a wolf. The she-wolf makeup could be interesting, depending on how frightening the producers chose to go with it.
Marrow offers some intriguing makeup possibilities- the actress would have to put up with a lot.
I guess Domino would be the X-Men’s analog to Black Widow. No explicit powers, just fighting skills.
As much as I’m a Warlock fan, I know it would be a thematic challenge, to avoid Jar-Jar territory.

I always thought First Class did a solid job of doing a soft reboot on the franchise, so I don't think it particularly needs it right now.

Post-Apocalypse, I can see them fanning out with X-Force teams and more semi-Solo outings with the First Class cast. We still haven't seen the real formation of the X-Men, and depending on how destroyed the current timeline is, there's certainly potential to shake things up there. As much as I didn't like Star Trek's reboot, Apocalypse leaves the door open to do similar

x-men has such an expanded universe, they could just keep going on for ever introducing new characters, different teams... why limit them self to rebooting an going back to the same group of characters, over an over

I knew some would misinterpret the thread :whatever: I'm not saying it should happen, i'm saying that a reboot will eventually happen, even James Bond got one eventually, so, when that happens how will it go?

how will it go no idea, but i would like it to take the focus the hell out of wolverine. He should remain the back up dwarf murder machine as he was originally presented. I think the original roster could work, specially if they're a less gritty bunch. Work cyclops depth, beast design, professor x-jean studen teacher relation.

I'm also of the mind of an original 5 slanted thing. I personally would keep the Fox-Men going as the Exiles. Let Jackman play old Wolverine as long as he likes. A lot of my ideas are in my TV show, which you see in my sig. I wouldn't do it as a film, really... except perhaps possibly as a Harry Potter-like series with a movie every year or so as we see kids grow up.

The problem with the original five idea is that the lineup is kind of bland - not saying it's terrible since it's the classic but I couldn't see them doing that lineup and not adding Storm or someone else for some diversity on the team.

There's already been complaints about the lack of female characters in some of the movies, as well as characters of other backgrounds, I can't possibly see them rebooting and making Jean the only woman surrounded by a bunch of white males.

I would go with the original Ultimate lineup minus Wolverine - Cyclops, Jean Grey, Storm, Beast, Iceman, Colossus. It is essentially the original five plus one and minus Angel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"