Iron Man 3 Howard says that not getting to Reprise his Ironman role killed his career!

I don't get how people say Howard looked more like Rhodey. Rhodey never had a mustache in the comics either.

Iron+Man+Rhodey.jpg

IIRC, Howard was cast before even Favreau was signed on as director. So he had no say in that casting decision. Howard was an Avi Arad pick while he was still in the loop. Glad he's not calling any shots anymore in the MCU.

Ain't that the truth.

yes of course I did, the first link also isnt working, but the last link looks a lot like howard, moreso then cheadle, so I dont get your point?
I don't get how people say Howard looked more like Rhodey. Rhodey never had a mustache in the comics either.

Iron+Man+Rhodey.jpg

yes he did have a moustache in the comics sometimes, see above link 3 as an example

I don't think a mustache would make or break an actor looking Rhodey. Facial structure and overall stage presence I think plays a bigger roll.

facial structure wise he looks more like howard then cheadle

If we're gonna use facial hair as a point, we must be fair: the Stark in that panel doesn't have a goatee either. Is RDJ therefore not visually Stark?

Idris Elba would be the best War Machine. I know he gets suggested for every black superhero but that doesn't change the facts.

I don't really care about Howard's career. If he was as talented as Jamie Foxx, Samuel Jackson, or Denzel doors would eventually open.

And if he was less of a drama queen. Lets not forget that.

he always sounds like he is on the verge of tears anyways..and his watery eyes... he is the Toby MaGuire of brown people

If we're gonna use facial hair as a point, we must be fair: the Stark in that panel doesn't have a goatee either. Is RDJ therefore not visually Stark?

That's the classic Stark. For about the last 10 years Tony has had a goatee in the comics. The classic Tony only had a mustache because they were trying to go for that David Niven type look that was popular in the 60's.

facial structure wise he looks more like howard then cheadle

he looks nothing like Howard, but I'll give you he doesn't look like Cheadle either.

I always thought Rhodey in the comics looked like Bernie Casey, but of course he's way too old for the role now.

This is now the only IM thread I can go on without having spoilers :dry:.

I find Cheadle to be a better actor than Howard but I liked Howard's version of the character much more. Maybe that was the crappy IM2 script's fault. We shall see.

Regardless, Howard should have been fired. He is a crude arrogant cry-baby. He is so icky.

Last edited:
Let's not get carried away here. Howard was 10x more popular than RDJ (and remains more popular than Patrow, Bridges and Favreau) with the general audience at the time. That's why Marvel paid him what he demanded. Now that RDJ is an A-List celebrity again however, Marvel kicked his ash to the curb (something that Marvel Studios isn't afraid to do with big name actors -- which has earned them a reputation). Justice was done. Howard was asking for too much and he's apparently complicated to work with (similar to Jamie Foxx).

Cheadle is a great actor but his chemistry with RDJ was off. Marvel did the right thing but Don wasn't as well-received as Howard. At this point, casual fans have accepted that Terrance has been replaced but Cheadle won't be as charismatic as Howard in alot of people's eyes.

Whenever I read a review for IM1, virtually nobody ever mentions Howard's role in it. He did ok by at least not screwing up(ala' Katie Holmes in BB) but he was easily the most dispensable person in the cast. He thought he was hot stuff but then got a dose of cold hard reality. RDJ, Bridges & Paltrow ALL did more to make the film great than he did.

Whenever I read a review for IM1, virtually nobody ever mentions Howard's role in it. He did ok by at least not screwing up(ala' Katie Holmes in BB) but he was easily the most dispensable person in the cast. He thought he was hot stuff but then got a dose of cold hard reality. RDJ, Bridges & Paltrow ALL did more to make the film great than he did.

It's not about the critics. Howard had a small role but he was the name that Marvel contracted to attract a certain demographic. His miniscule part didn't stop the typical movie go'er from loving Howard's version of Rhody though.

Meh, I still believe Cheadle was hamstrung by IM2's script. I'm not sure Howard would have fared that much better. I'm expecting much better chemistry this time around. If there's anyone who can write good buddy-cop type stuff, its Shane Black

I don't think a solid script is going to make Cheadle any less of a miscast, for me anyway. His style and flare just doesn't fuse with RDJ in this franchise.

I don't think a solid script is going to make Cheadle any less of a miscast, for me anyway. His style and flare just doesn't fuse with RDJ in this franchise.
I hope we are wrong but I feel the same way right now.

Yes. If you replace RDJ with Luis Guzman in scenes with Cheadle then we might see some chemistry.

I kind of think it was worth it for him to get his advanced schooling. He can MAKE diamonds. How many actors can say that? Plus, he was on Jimmy Kimmel Live and sounded so sexy when he was speaking nerd...made me wish they had more of that in the MCU. For having so many scientists as super heroes, they tend to avoid actual scientific dialogue beyond the middle school level.

Let's not get carried away here. Howard was 10x more popular than RDJ (and remains more popular than Patrow, Bridges and Favreau) with the general audience at the time. That's why Marvel paid him what he demanded. Now that RDJ is an A-List celebrity again however, Marvel kicked his ash to the curb (something that Marvel Studios isn't afraid to do with big name actors -- which has earned them a reputation). Justice was done. Howard was asking for too much and he's apparently complicated to work with (similar to Jamie Foxx).

Cheadle is a great actor but his chemistry with RDJ was off. Marvel did the right thing but Don wasn't as well-received as Howard. At this point, casual fans have accepted that Terrance has been replaced but Cheadle won't be as charismatic as Howard in alot of people's eyes.

Yeah, *let's* not get carried away here...

"Howard remains more popular than Paltrow, Bridges, and Favreau?" Is that why Howard's latest movie, Dead Man Down, debuted this week at #4 with a paltry $5 million take and a 37% RT rating? And how much did Tron and True Grit make again, I forget...? Oh right, $400 mil and $250 mil respectively....obviously Bridges isn't as popular as Howard.

YMMV at Cheadle's performance in IM2, but there's no public consensus anywhere showing that the vast majority of audiences were disappointed with Cheadle. And there's a damn good chance that Shane Black, king of the buddy-cop screenplays, is giving Cheadle a *lot* more to do with Rhodey's character this time around. I don't think anybody in the audience except for Terrence Howard will have any complaints about Stark and Rhodey's chemistry in IM3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"