Iron Man 3 Howard says that not getting to Reprise his Ironman role killed his career!

Let's not get carried away here. Howard was 10x more popular than RDJ (and remains more popular than Patrow, Bridges and Favreau) with the general audience at the time. That's why Marvel paid him what he demanded. Now that RDJ is an A-List celebrity again however, Marvel kicked his ass to the curb (something that Marvel Studios isn't afraid to do with big name actors -- which has earned them a reputation). Justice was done. Howard was asking for too much and he's apparently complicated to work with (similar to Jamie Foxx).

Cheadle is a great actor but his chemistry with RDJ was off. Marvel did the right thing but Don wasn't as well-received as Howard. At this point, casual fans have accepted that Terrance has been replaced but Cheadle won't be as charismatic as Howard in alot of people's eyes.

Um....Howard is more popular than Bridges (Academy Award Winner), and Paltrow (Academy Award Winner), and was more popular than Downey (Academy Award Winner) when the film came out????

I'm going to pretend you didn't say that.

Let's not get carried away here. Howard was 10x more popular than RDJ (and remains more popular than Patrow, Bridges and Favreau) with the general audience at the time. That's why Marvel paid him what he demanded. Now that RDJ is an A-List celebrity again however, Marvel kicked his ass to the curb (something that Marvel Studios isn't afraid to do with big name actors -- which has earned them a reputation). Justice was done. Howard was asking for too much and he's apparently complicated to work with (similar to Jamie Foxx).

Cheadle is a great actor but his chemistry with RDJ was off. Marvel did the right thing but Don wasn't as well-received as Howard. At this point, casual fans have accepted that Terrance has been replaced but Cheadle won't be as charismatic as Howard in alot of people's eyes.

:doh: Sorry, but this is just not correct.

Most people probably said "who's that" when they said Terrance Howard was in the movie. Let's please not act like Terrance was Denzel Washington or someone.

Infact Cheadle is far more recognizable than Howard has ever been, if only for the Captain Planet skit.

Howard is just a big whiny baby anyways. Cheadle is a million times the actor he's in. Also funny to note, that just about every other person who has parted ways with Marvel doesn't throw a hissyfit everytime a movie of their character or so comes out, they seem really professional about it.

I tell you one thing, i sure as heck bet Ed Norton is kickin' himself in the ass right now for givin' marvel a hard time. Although, I kind of feel like it's better he wasn't in Avengers.

In a way I'm kind of glad about both Howard and Norton getting the axe. Marvel needed to pretty much make it clear that NOBODY is absolutely indispensable so that they can discourage opportunistic actors/directors/writers from trying to use their clout to hold Marvel up for more money. I'm sure Marvel wants talent and is willing to pay for it but I don't think they're willing to get taken advantage of.

I tell you one thing, i sure as heck bet Ed Norton is kickin' himself in the ass right now for givin' marvel a hard time. Although, I kind of feel like it's better he wasn't in Avengers.

I don't think he would have been a very good bruce banner in avengers

To be fair, Norton didn't get the axe. He signed for one film. They asked him back but he wanted more money than what was offered.

Considering how huge the film was, and what it could have done for his career, (vs. having a bit part with Renner in the last Bourne movie), it's surprising that he turned it down. But he didn't quit and he wasn't fired.

Howard on the other hand was contracted for 3 films, plus Avengers. Cheadle was also contracted to be in Avengers, but when the story didn't go that way, he was released from that obligation.

Howard was released from his contract (i.e. fired) in Megan Fox type fashion.

It's hard to say, but it would have been different than what we got with Ruffalo, and I can't immagine it being better. To me the best live performances of Banner have been Bill Bixby (still my favorite to date), and then Ruffalo.

I do prefer Norton's performance to Bana, but that's not his fault. Ang Lee had a terrible script, and the egotistical Ang Lee did all the motion capture for the Hulk, basically making Bana a hired gun and never allowed him to explore the character.

Most people probably said "who's that" when they said Terrance Howard was in the movie. Let's please not act like Terrance was Denzel Washington or someone.
This :up:

I don't know how popular Terrence Howard is in America but in the rest of the world he is far from an A-list actor. I would say there is still a large number of people in Britain have not even heard of him.

This :up:

I don't know how popular Terrence Howard is in America but in the rest of the world he is far from an A-list actor. I would say there is still a large number of people in Britain have not even heard of him.

Not popular at all. I honestly barely knew who he was when he was cast, which is why the original comment that somehow he was more popular than Bridges, Paltrow and Downey was so out of place.

Jeff Bridges being the son of the late Lloyd Bridges had been well known for years, and of course had been nominated multiple times for Academy awards, finally winning one for Crazy Heart. Both Downey and Paltrow already had won academy awards.

So here is a guy that was a B-list actor but was getting paid more than anyone in the film.

In fact the only movie I'd ever seen Howard in prior to Iron Man was Mr. Holland's Opus, and old Richard Dreyfuss film, and I don't even remember what part he played in the film.

Oh by the way, I keep seeing news stories referring to Howard as an "Oscar winning actor", well if that's true then is Adele and "Oscar winning actress?". Howard appeared in a film called "Hustle and Flow" where Howard plays a pimp with aspirations to be a rap star. Howard performed (did not write) the songs for the film, and the song "It's hard out here for a pimp" won the academy award for best original song in a film.

I always was upset Norton didn't come back for Avengers, Hulk was like my second favorite Phase 1 movie and I've always liked Norton. But Ruffalo was a great replacement so I'm not mad anymore.

I always was upset Norton didn't come back for Avengers, Hulk was like my second favorite Phase 1 movie and I've always liked Norton. But Ruffalo was a great replacement so I'm not mad anymore.

:lmao:

lol honestly no pun intended.

lol I didn't even notice the pun, I just thought "so I'm not mad anymore", is just a funny choice of words for the situation, like..when I hear someone say I'm not mad anymore, I think more of a personal dispute lol, atleast around MA anyway, so hearing you say "im not mad anymore", for something regarding a movie, made me laugh for some reason haha

but now that you pointed out that pun...

lol I didn't even notice the pun, I just thought "so I'm not mad anymore", is just a funny choice of words for the situation, like..when I hear someone say I'm not mad anymore, I think more of a personal dispute lol, atleast around MA anyway, so hearing you say "im not mad anymore", for something regarding a movie, made me laugh for some reason haha

but now that you pointed out that pun...

Well I was mad when Marvel and Norton couldn't agree on him coming back! haha he's one of my favorite actors so it was a bummer when he wasn't coming back, then Avengers came along and Ruffalo was pretty good. I still have a hard time seeing him in the same exact movie as Norton's Hulk though..

Well I was mad when Marvel and Norton couldn't agree on him coming back! haha he's one of my favorite actors so it was a bummer when he wasn't coming back, then Avengers came along and Ruffalo was pretty good. I still have a hard time seeing him in the same exact movie as Norton's Hulk though..
I'm still mad. While Ruffalo is a great actor and brought a lot to the role, I think Norton would have been just as stellar thanks to Whedon's script and direction. The crazy idea of Norton and Downey appearing together in an Avengers movie was something I had been anticipating since Norton was cast in 2007, and given how Whedon wrote Stark and Banner's interactions in the Avengers, it would have been so fantastic to have kept Norton through it all. Just a big missed opportunity IMO.

I think he would have. Norton as Bruce Banner is still one of my favorite casting decisions in the superhero movie era, right up there with RDJ as Tony Stark and JK Simmons as J Jonah Jameson.

It's hard to say, but it would have been different than what we got with Ruffalo, and I can't immagine it being better. To me the best live performances of Banner have been Bill Bixby (still my favorite to date), and then Ruffalo.
I can. Look at Black Widow. The same actress is almost unrecognizable between how BW was written in IM2 and how Whedon wrote her in The Avengers. I think a similar type of leap would have happened for Norton's Banner. People point to Ruffalo's performance as "delightfully understated, quietly cynical, etc." And to me, that sounds exactly like what an actor like Norton would have been able to deliver. If only Norton's passion for the role (see the features in the TIH dvd) had translated into him being more compromising rather than uncompromising...

As for Howard, I thought he was miscast as Rhodey in the first place, but I get why they cast him at the time.

Last edited:
I actually prefered Howard in this role than Cheadle, but what's done is done, in least Marvel is giving him another chance in another Marvel project, or so he says

The sorts of comments he makes in those articles lead me to believe that the rumors about why he left / was booted from the Iron Man franchise are exactly true.

What are these rumors?

He's going to play....

Black Panther.

I'm simply making a silly prediction. I could see not using an African-American who is darker skinned or with less of a genuine African accent, so as to not give into "stereotypes". I wouldn't agree, I'm simply stating what they did with Mandarin could be done with Black Panther. I'm just being silly and semi serious about it. So please, nobody throw darts at me.:oldrazz:

Last edited:
I remember at the time Howard was the first one cast, Marvel were praising his acting and talent and suggesting that they could easily have cast him as Tony Stark, should that have been the way they decided to go (which they didn't). I don't have a link to the article as it was so long ago, but I remember being struck by that thought at the time when I read it and breathed a sigh of relief when they didn't go that route.

I'm glad he wasn't Stark, and I thought he was a rather weak and whiney Rhodey. To be honest, neither Howard nor Cheadle have been the perfect Rhodey. I think they've tried to go differently for his character than the comic, because in the comics he is more of a wise-cracking, laid back and humourous guy than the stiff military type. It's because RDJ now has the wise-cracking traits that they need a straight man to play against him, so they can't have Rhodey doing the same thing.

That's the classic Stark. For about the last 10 years Tony has had a goatee in the comics. The classic Tony only had a mustache because they were trying to go for that David Niven type look that was popular in the 60's.

His mustache was based on Errol Flynn, not David Niven.

Not getting to reprise my role as Terrance Howard killed my career.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"