Superman Returns "However far away, I will always love you..." Superman and Lois and Love

bosef982

Superhero
Reaction score
I hadn't seen a place for this before, so I'm going to try it here. Only recently, have I been moved via the Spots and new trailer to notice how much I may enjoy the love story between Superman and Lois. On one level, it's just so beautiful. The god-like alien finds one human woman to love, and possibly even bear his child. On another, it just appears so sophisticated, some of the dialogue. For example, Marsden's "Did you love him?" and Lois' response, "He's Superman, everyone loved him..." really just ties together the messianic message of Superman to the really intimate emotions of Lois Lane.

But overall, just seeing these trailers and seeing Superman not only fighting for Lois, but her child, is just so incredibly moving when you truly think about all the two have been through together. Where they stand now is very different to where they stood before, and the emotional weight I think is going to be the prime mover behind this film. Only recently have I become more fond of this than even the Luthor arch...

I wanted to get thoughts not on the child (there's threads for that), but on the unique nature of Lois and Superman's love, the drama of it, the fact that a God has picked her and she is in love with him. Before, Superman and Lois always seemed gimmicky, almost forced and obligatory. Now, seeing just these trailers, it seems to be carrying an emotional weight that Singer's shown himself able to inject in other emotional situations, just never before romance. The way its tying to action is also very amazing. Just think of the scene when Lois gets her fletting glance of Superman flashing by outside the crashing plane. There is so much emotion and power in such a moment...

I'm really looking forward to this dynamic.

You know, you're so right. Its like they've taken the puppy love flight scene from the original and turned it into an entire movie. Love takes flight June 30th!

I wouldn't say its "puppy love" at all. That's what it always came off as before and I hated it. This seems a lot more weighted and emotional -- almost dark in terms of its implications for the two of them.

The love was handled in the original films in a very unbelievable, cheesy, one dimensional way.

Pink? "I Like Pink?"

Love is handled on Smallville in a very angsty, repetitve, annoying shipper-esque way.

SR could be the one that finally gets it right, has the depth....but makes sure it isnt over-the-top.

True Love RETURNS June 30th!!!

I can't wait to see Lois & SUPERMAN reunited . Even if they don't get back together in the first movie. Without question they will in The sequel . After All in every incarnation of the Superman story Lois Lane & Clark Kent/SUPERMAN end up together . It's DESTINY !!!!

Gotta love Bosef and his posts. :up:

I cant agree more and I was actually thinking pretty much the same thing. As far as the love angle goes you just accept it cuz thats how it always is and thats how it always was. just like you said, obligatory. And part of the movie that ingtrigues me most is how it shakes those aspects up so you have to think about them instead of just accepting them. and that adds another dimension to it cuz in reality no love is ever that perfect and black and white. while I dont think it'll show WHY they're so much in love, it'll definitely show how MUCH theyre in love. and this takes things a little off topic but then we get into the fact that superman's love for lois really is his only weakness and in that aspect humanizes the character which I really enjoy. for the first time in all my superman days he's really a living breathing feeling person. which to get more offtopic, only because i have no idea where else to put it. it makes me glad to have brandon routhe in the role instead of getting a perfect speciman of godly intuition to always know the right solution to every problem. AND i'm done rambling :D thanks for bringing this up bosef.

bosef982 said:
I hadn't seen a place for this before, so I'm going to try it here. Only recently, have I been moved via the Spots and new trailer to notice how much I may enjoy the love story between Superman and Lois. On one level, it's just so beautiful. The god-like alien finds one human woman to love, and possibly even bear his child. On another, it just appears so sophisticated, some of the dialogue. For example, Marsden's "Did you love him?" and Lois' response, "He's Superman, everyone loved him..." really just ties together the messianic message of Superman to the really intimate emotions of Lois Lane.

But overall, just seeing these trailers and seeing Superman not only fighting for Lois, but her child, is just so incredibly moving when you truly think about all the two have been through together. Where they stand now is very different to where they stood before, and the emotional weight I think is going to be the prime mover behind this film. Only recently have I become more fond of this than even the Luthor arch...

I wanted to get thoughts not on the child (there's threads for that), but on the unique nature of Lois and Superman's love, the drama of it, the fact that a God has picked her and she is in love with him. Before, Superman and Lois always seemed gimmicky, almost forced and obligatory. Now, seeing just these trailers, it seems to be carrying an emotional weight that Singer's shown himself able to inject in other emotional situations, just never before romance. The way its tying to action is also very amazing. Just think of the scene when Lois gets her fletting glance of Superman flashing by outside the crashing plane. There is so much emotion and power in such a moment...

I'm really looking forward to this dynamic.

Agreed, very well written.

Someone should compile a music video with shots from the teasers, trailers and tv spots. :cool:

Sing with me now: "I can be your hero bay-beeeeee!!"

But seriously, I hear songs on the radio now like "Saving Me" by Nickelback (personal thoughts on the band aside) and I keep thinking of Supes and Lois (especially with lyrics like that).

The love story is more important nowadays, but in the entirety of teh mythology it has been huge. Even people who have never read a Superman comic or seen the movies knows that Superman and Lois Lane love each other...for Singer to play that up is great. If you think about it, nothing motivates man more than fighting for what he loves.

BTW- I agree with MEHZEB...someone with talent (ie not me) should make a music video about it...may I suggest "Saving Me" as the song?

Superman79 said:
The love story is more important nowadays, but in the entirety of teh mythology it has been huge. Even people who have never read a Superman comic or seen the movies knows that Superman and Lois Lane love each other...for Singer to play that up is great. If you think about it, nothing motivates man more than fighting for what he loves.

Word .:supes:

The Super love story between Lois & Clark/Superman is a never ending love story . Their story show us What True Love really is all about . :supes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"