Hype TV Club does Game of Thrones in February!

i confused myself for a second because I thought you meant Oberyn was a Targaryen. my bad.

Mis-read what you said because I am half asleep and cant sleep lol.

and Daario ... weird ass recast right hahaha

yes. he's not even long haired anymore, he's got facial hair and short hair

i swear all these guys are in that secret crew that ayra's friend was in. the one who gave her the coin and changed faces

:rimshot:

also, i now understand why yall were discussing theon's trial. don't really feel too bad for him
which reminds me. now i can go back and read all the spoilers

well be weary of s4 spoilers... esp Watchers on the Wall stuff.

i'm watching the last ep of season 3 now.

fwiw, i hate joffrey, but that means the kid playing him is a pretty decent actor to make me dislike him so much. unfortunately, i'll never be able to see him as anyone else and not want to punch him in the ear :argh:

tumblr_mzrs0lMz8q1se9fcoo1_500.gif

The guy that plays Daario in season 4 (Michiel Huisman) had a short-lived and little-known musical career with his band Fontane here in Holland, alongside his work as an actor.

In fact, his songs are so obscure that no one has bothered to upload the actual videos of them to Youtube, and I only managed to find one official video on Vimeo:

https://vimeo.com/20753267

So yeah. He's having a fair bit more success as an actor.

(Also, Jesus H. Christ, those mouth close ups. Couldn't some of those folks have plucked their nasal hairs before filming??)

Wow, CC, you've made a lot of progress! I'm glad you managed to carry on after the Red Wedding, haha.

As for Ygritte, she and Jon Snow are pretty much an equal match in blandness for me, lol. I care about Jon in the books, but on the show he and his supporting players all leave me pretty flat. The only reason I care about their storyline at all is because it involved what resides beyond The Wall.

And yeah, Jaime looks much better with scruff, but I also like him with short hair:

tumblr_njzb5u7hqY1qdmsioo2_400_zpspqqg0huk.gif

But then, I'll admit I've had a crush on Nikolaj Coster-Waldau since well before this show, so just about any of his haircuts works for me at this point. ;)

I like this new Daario slightly better, tbh. The original did nothing for me. Both kinda blah, though. In the books his beard is blue, lol.

Last edited:
As for Ygritte, she and Jon Snow are pretty much an equal match in blandness for me, lol. I care about Jon in the books, but on the show he and his supporting players all leave me pretty flat. The only reason I care about their storyline at all is because it involved what resides beyond The Wall.
Ok, so it's not just me... I like Snow a little. But yeah, I actually find him occasionally bland and that storyline a bit blander. Everyone wanted to ask me about The Wall ep in S4, and while it was certainly a great epsiode, I didn't really care too much about most of what happened.

Wow, CC, you've made a lot of progress! I'm glad you managed to carry on after the Red Wedding, haha.

And yeah, Jaime looks much better with scruff, but I also like him with short hair:

tumblr_njzb5u7hqY1qdmsioo2_400_zpspqqg0huk.gif

But then, I'll admit I've had a crush on Nikolaj Coster-Waldau since well before this show, so just about any of his haircuts works for me at this point. ;)

I like this new Daario slightly better, tbh. The original did nothing for me. Both kinda blah, though. In the books his beard is blue, lol.

that's a good look for him there :up:
but i don't like his haircut season 4 at all. i'm just going to pretend he tried to cut his own hair with his sole hand and didn't do a good job

The actor who plays Joffrey seems like a really nice guy. Which means he really is a good actor!

Even though the show/books are set in a fictional fantasy universe with its own continents and languages and it sparingly has dragons and the like, it is funny to see a world that borrows so much from medieval Europe in terms of setting, yet lacks the religious element that was so omnipresent in society in those days. I mean, I know that several religions are practiced in the world of GoT, but I've gotten so used to movies/shows that are set in Medieval times where the Church is exerting a pretty big influence over matters of state and society, that it's startling to see the world of Game of Thrones where there are no major religious movements or a seat/council of clerical authority that plays a part in the political intrigue going on.

Not a criticism, more an observation.

R'hllor's influence is pretty big, as a foreign religion spreading from the east into a land that's never experienced it. We see that in season 3 with little offshoots spring up about in the Riverlands in conjuncture with the main source of Red Priesthood going on at Dragonstone. without giving anything away, that will naturally continue.

But as for the main religion that dominates the south, the big organized religion in the New Gods, the Faith of the Seven. In the history of Westeros the Faith was defanged early on by Targaryen kings, whom were Valyrian foreigners who kept their own customs (incestuous marriage). The Faith and the Iron Throne exist in a partnership now, with the Throne defending the Faith, but the church as it is has no authority over what the king does and has no real military power.

The old and new Gods?
Sure, but all the characters do (so far, I'm just about to finish season one) is pray and cross their fingers. The thought occurred to me when someone in Robb's forces mentioned something about their fallen, and Robb said something along the lines of 'they won't be around to hear the songs (sung about their heroics)', where one might expect that a king in Medieval Europe would have said 'they will hear the song while in Heaven'. The view that some of the characters in Westeros seem to hold of their deities is slightly cynical; they acknowledge the gods are watching over them, but they are aware of the fickleness of fate. There was another line in the very same episode (episode 9), I think-- don't remember who said it or what it was, exactly-- but it was along the same lines as Robb's comment.

It makes sense, of course; George R.R. Martin has mentioned that he doesn't set out to put one religious or philosophical view in the world of ASOIAF/GoT before the other, and that helps bring the individual character motivations to the forefront, and I for one applaud it.
R'hllor's influence is pretty big, as a foreign religion spreading from the east into a land that's never experienced it. We see that in season 3 with little offshoots spring up about in the Riverlands in conjuncture with the main source of Red Priesthood going on at Dragonstone. without giving anything away, that will naturally continue.

But as for the main religion that dominates the south, the big organized religion in the New Gods, the Faith of the Seven. In the history of Westeros the Faith was defanged early on by Targaryen kings, whom were Valyrian foreigners who kept their own customs (incestuous marriage). The Faith and the Iron Throne exist in a partnership now, with the Throne defending the Faith, but the church as it is has no authority over what the king does and has no real military power.
Ahh, thanks for that piece of background info. I'll be curious to see the development of that story thread (on R'hllor), and I'm also about to start with the novels as I progress into the seasons.

Last edited:
The actor who plays Joffrey seems like a really nice guy. Which means he really is a good actor!

go to youtube and look up his q&a at the college he visited.

go to youtube and look up his q&a at the college he visited.

Yeah I'd seen that. Was pretty cool. The guy is very down to earth.

well i just watched episodes 2 and 3 of season 4. bye bye
joffrey

baelish is a shady mofo. i still hate him
the whole cersei/jamie "mourning" scene was very awkward. you know what i mean :o

i don't care for bolton or his son at all. i almost want Sansa to team up with Dany and have Dany's dragons kill all the white walkers and give sansa winterfell back.

i never thought i'd enjoy seeing someone learn to read on this show lol
and Pod's a good dude. definitely the best squire

the lannister sibling dynamic is such a crazy triangle. jamie and cersei are very close (too close lol), cersei hates tyrion. tyrion seems to love both and he and jamie get along very well it appears. he went out of his way to help jamie learn how to wield a left handed sword away from people finding out.
tyrion man be the half-man, but he seems to be twice the man anyone else in knights landing is.

Do you actually hate guys like Baelish and Cersei (I think you mentioned before) or love-to-hate them? They are among my favourites (which means possible top 20 with the size of this cast!).

the whole cersei/jamie "mourning" scene was very awkward. you know what i mean :o
Yeah, that wasn't in the books and caused quite a bit of controversy when it aired, partially because it seemed to take Jaime's character development backwards for no apparent reason.

i don't care for bolton or his son at all. i almost want Sansa to team up with Dany and have Dany's dragons kill all the white walkers and give sansa winterfell back.
Ha, I'm glad you like Sansa. My mom STILL hates Sansa due to her whole "spoiled princess" routine from S1. I don't get it. Her worst crime in the first place was being a naive, spoiled teenager, but now she's been through so much tragedy, I don't see how it's possible not to sympathize a little.

the lannister sibling dynamic is such a crazy triangle. jamie and cersei are very close (too close lol), cersei hates tyrion. tyrion seems to love both and he and jamie get along very well it appears. he went out of his way to help jamie learn how to wield a left handed sword away from people finding out.
tyrion man be the half-man, but he seems to be twice the man anyone else in knights landing is.
Yeah, their dynamic is really interesting to me. And Jaime's genuine affection and respect for his brother was my first clue that he couldn't be all bad.

i like to hate Cersei but i haven't liked Baelish ever. he has no loyalty, no real redeeming qualities. he'll screw over any and everyone to get what he wants, and he wants everything.
he's pretty much the reason all this stuff happened to begin with anyways :argh:

Ha, I'm glad you like Sansa. My mom STILL hates Sansa due to her whole "spoiled princess" routine from S1. I don't get it. Her worst crime in the first place was being a naive, spoiled teenager, but now she's been through so much tragedy, I don't see how it's possible not to sympathize a little.

Yeah, their dynamic is really interesting to me. And Jaime's genuine affection and respect for his brother was my first clue that he couldn't be all bad.

i didn't like that sansa much either, but she was a young 13-ish yr old eldest daughter to a lord, so of course i expected somewhat of a spoiledness. she was nothing compared to viserys and his spoiled brattiness though.

looking back, the really truly "bad" thing that jamie ever did was push bran out the window and the massacre of ned's people that followed. once all the reasons for the things he's labeled for came to light, like oathbreaker, kingslayer etc, he didn't do those things with evil as the motive (does that make sense). granted he's killed a few people here and there and he's definitely not squeaky clean, but knowing why he did the things that will go down with him in history, helps a little i suppose.
season 1 i never thought i would've defended him ever

sidenote: doing what he did for Brienne in ep 4 + the gifts and still trying to keep his word to Catelyn was pretty cool.
and during the scene with Bronn training him and how Tyrion had asked for Jamie first, i had forgotten all about that. but that was a great line and delivery that helped show that the lannister brothers were important to each other

i like to hate Cersei but i haven't liked Baelish ever. he has no loyalty, no real redeeming qualities. he'll screw over any and everyone to get what he wants, and he wants everything.
he's pretty much the reason all this stuff happened to begin with anyways :argh:
Well I mean I wouldn't want him as my best bud in real life. ;) But he makes for an interesting character in this world where 90% of them are ****s anyway! He's an intriguing bastard rather than a likeable character, and that's why I like him, especially alongside Varys. Although I still want him to die by the end of the show for his crimes against [BLACKOUT]Papa Stark[/BLACKOUT].

i like varys way more than i like baelish

He's a bit good though so that doesn't count. ;) Do you like any of Joffrey, Ramsay, Walder Frey, The Mountain, Craster or Alliser Thorne? [BLACKOUT]Actually I hate most of them too! :woot:[/BLACKOUT]

Tywin, Drogo, The Hound & Melisandre are probably easier to like or respect.

Oh yeah, Varys is definitely more likable, imo.

looking back, the really truly "bad" thing that jamie ever did was push bran out the window and the massacre of ned's people that followed. once all the reasons for the things he's labeled for came to light, like oathbreaker, kingslayer etc, he didn't do those things with evil as the motive (does that make sense). granted he's killed a few people here and there and he's definitely not squeaky clean, but knowing why he did the things that will go down with him in history, helps a little i suppose.
season 1 i never thought i would've defended him ever

sidenote: doing what he did for Brienne in ep 4 + the gifts and still trying to keep his word to Catelyn was pretty cool.
and during the scene with Bronn training him and how Tyrion had asked for Jamie first, i had forgotten all about that. but that was a great line and delivery that helped show that the lannister brothers were important to each other
Yeah the way I see Jaime, and I think Nikolaj has actually described him this way as well, is that he got labeled this horrible thing for a misunderstanding after saving thousands of lives. Everyone treated him like a dishonorable villain, so he eventually decided, "might as well play the part." And of course, loving the one woman it's considered monstrous to love in that way made him feel even more like a villain. He spent so many years living up to the way people saw him, that he actually became that guy. Hence the despicable acts like pushing Bran out of the window for Cersei, the only person who didn't see him that way. I think his journey with Brienne helped him remember who he once was and wanted to be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"