Hype TV Club does Game of Thrones in February!

sabetoonth

Where You Get Those Eyes?
Reaction score

GAME OF THRONES
9tw6T6C.jpg

Any Hype members are welcome to join us in our viewing of these shows.
The Discussion Thread: http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=491461

The only rules are

• Only shows on the list will be selected
  • Only the first season is required for the monthly viewing. If a show has multiple seasons
  • Each show on the generator has a minimum of 10 episodes per season, if not, we will watch S1&2
  • ALL spoilers must be tagged as such, as none of us have seen these shows before aka don't be a jerk
  • Any posts not following the spoiler rule as subject to Deletion

For the second month we're doing Game of Thrones(GoT), and in this thread we will be talking about our viewing experiences with the show. You all are welcome to join, so we'll talk about what we like and/or dislike about the show we're watching.

Winter Is Coming!

What is Game of Thrones?
Game of Thrones roughly follows the three storylines of A Song of Ice and Fire. Set in the fictional Seven Kingdoms of Westeros, the series chronicles the violent dynastic struggles among the realm's noble families for control of the Iron Throne. As the series opens, additional threats emerge in the icy North and in the eastern continent of Essos

Yeahhhh boi!!!

Spoiler alert: people be dying.

Oh I'll rewatch this! Is it a new thread for each new show? I was planning to jump on to the Fringe one as I was watching that anyway.

yeah we're doing a thread for each show. you can still comment on the fringe one! some of us kept watching it, i just finished season 3 of fringe myself

Is that thread titled like this one? Will search for it. Do you guys all discuss it on skype? (I probably won't be doing that :yay:)

I too, will join! Never seen this one nor read the books by George R. R. Martin, so I'm coming in as a completely blank slate. :p

Hard to stop once you start. I'm going to watch the 1st episode of season 1 this evening. See how much time I get.

Is that thread titled like this one? Will search for it. Do you guys all discuss it on skype? (I probably won't be doing that :yay:)

yeah if you click on the discussion page link in the first post, it'll send you to the thread that keeps track of all the shows. it's also a general discussion thread/faq/etc for whatever

I too, will join! Never seen this one nor read the books by George R. R. Martin, so I'm coming in as a completely blank slate. :p

welcome!
i'm going to try and start watching today as i'm off.

i just watched the first episode... and it's honestly like nothing i watch. i'm not a fan of violence and gore, and there's gore, profanity and sex galore! :rimshot: i remember thinking of the word "entrails" at least twice in the episode. i couldn't even tell you the last time i said that word. and i turned my head at least once or twice
i guess i should say that i've never read the books, never kept up with the show or anything, but there's a few actors on the show i recognize from other things. like Ned (Bean) i've seen in a lot, the queen (headey), i've been a fan of since Gossip. etc etc and maybe it's just me, but her brother reminds me so much of the Prince from Shrek looks-wise.

the only thing i know from this show, is that everyone hates the Prince Joffrey, and i couldn't help wanting to smack the smug look off his face lol. i also do not like Jamie Lannister, especially concluding with the final scene of the episode. i really went :eek:
i also don't like Danerys (sp?)' brother. he's a *****e, and i didn't even realize he was her brother at first cuz of the way he undressed her and felt her up. guess there's going to be a lot of incest in the show. there's obviously a lot of sex. the wolf pups are cute, so yay.

Are we watching just the first season this February, or the first and second season?

I saw the first episode yesterday evening... wow, the story is so engrossing! When it ended, it almost felt like I'd seen three episodes, in a good way. With so many characters running around and divided into different factions, I'm curious about how they're going to build on the intrigues that they've set up in this first episode.

I was also surprised at the violence, but I adjusted soon enough. I really like the visuals; the sets, the costumes, despite a way too obvious green screen effect some 20-30 minutes in.
My favourite characters so far are Lord Stark (Sean Bean is great as usual) and Jon Snow (I just have a thing for the tragic brooding characters :woot:).

I also did not see that ending coming. I hope Bran survives somehow, but I guess the chances are slim. :csad: Who's gonna take care of his dire wolf cub?

I love the 1st episode. Really sets the scene for a huge world and loads of good characters. The ending definitely leaves you wanting more and even if you thought it might happen it's still surprising that it actually does. I'm not really into gore either but it does lend some authenticity to a brutal, uncompromising, medieval setting. (I'm not a 1st time watcher btw)

Are we watching just the first season this February, or the first and second season?

I saw the first episode yesterday evening... wow, the story is so engrossing! When it ended, it almost felt like I'd seen three episodes, in a good way. With so many characters running around and divided into different factions, I'm curious about how they're going to build on the intrigues that they've set up in this first episode.

I was also surprised at the violence, but I adjusted soon enough. I really like the visuals; the sets, the costumes, despite a way too obvious green screen effect some 20-30 minutes in.
My favourite characters so far are Lord Stark (Sean Bean is great as usual) and Jon Snow (I just have a thing for the tragic brooding characters :woot:).

I also did not see that ending coming. I hope Bran survives somehow, but I guess the chances are slim. :csad: Who's gonna take care of his dire wolf cub?

the first season is the only "requirement", but you're welcome to keep with it. i finished 3 seasons of fringe last month, and i intend to watch the other 2 seasons sometime.

i ended up watching the second episode too. i like Jon Snow, Arya, and Ned Stark. The only Lannsiter I like is Tyrion.
I guess the Dothraki have their own language, and i was watching without subtitles, so I had to google what was being said.

iceman, i guess you're right. the midieval times were a lot more brutal and savage than we seem to recall, and i know this is a more fantasy setting, so it's even more upped lol. i still turn my head or close my eyes for the too gruesome scenes.
if every episode ends like the first two have, i might be an emotional wreck by the end of the season
i wanted to cry for Lady :(

What'd you think of Cersei so far?

Finished three episodes. And damn. Its so engrossing and every time wee something or maybe there's a mention of someone we haven't seen I want to learn more about them. The gore doesn't bother me too much, tbh. I dont feel like its over the top considering the setting and all. The sex, eh maybe a bit much at times but again, looking at the world around it..less bugged.

Really want to learn more about the Mad King and Ned's sister. How Robert came to power. I bet Ned's son is named after him btw. Also curious about the Dothraki too. Noticed lots of Mongolian influence in heir culture with the importance of the horse and being nomads.
While I don't like any but Tyrion, I enjoy all the Lannister's scenes. But there's something about the Imp...maybe its how he didn't take Joffrey's ****?

Also love Commander Mormont but that' cause I like James Cosmo, lol.

and maybe it's just me, but her brother reminds me so much of the Prince from Shrek looks-wise.
It's not just you. That became something of a meme almost right after the show began airing, lol.

tumblrcharming_lannister_demot_by_renaissancelady_k-d3jz6h5_zpsnws6a35r.jpg

tumblr3181_c881_zps9hhwu5g1.gif

tumblrprince_charming_gif_by_buffybot101-d47o6lf_zps0bmanurc.gif

I can't watch with y'all because I just lent my blu-rays to a co-worker a few days ago, but I always enjoy reading the reactions of new viewers. Hope you all enjoy! :up:

Last edited:
I watched the first three episodes this morning, and it's not grabbing me. I love shows with political intrigue, but so far it's not doing it for me. The characters besides Ned Stark, Tyrion, and Aya are falling flat for me. Plus I really don't like many of them. I figured Joffrey would be incredibly intolerable because people have been hating on him so much, but he wasn't that bad. The chick who he's supposed to marry needs to kick rocks, and so does his mother. Then there's that one Lannister guy who was the king's "hand." **** him and everybody who looks like him. Hopefully the show gets better. I know I'm really early on in the show right now, so I'm not going to declare it overhyped just yet as if I was some punk ass robot or something.

I guess the Dothraki have their own language, and i was watching without subtitles, so I had to google what was being said.
I'm watching it on DVD with Dutch subtitles, and (at least in the first two episodes) the Dothraki dialogue didn't get subtitled at all, with the exception of Daenerys telling Drogo that she "wants to see his face".

If Joffrey is hated by the fandom, I can perfectly understand it. He made me cringe in the second episode with everything he said or did. I want to see someone kick his ass! Very well done by the young actor who plays him.
Episode two was a bit more 'quiet' than the first episode, but it was nice. I really feel for Jon Snow joining the Night's Watch (and the farewell scene between him and Arya was sweet).

I think the Nights Watch and beyond the wall will become a part of the show I really enjoy. Its like that part of the story almost no one is going to know about elsewhere I feel. If its that far north, and messages are carried by ravens. That's a long way to fly.

He's an *******, but he's not Dana Brody yet. That girl had me waiting for Randy Orton to come out and RKO her ass each episode of Homeland. Joffrey right now is just a punk *****, but a lot of people are on this show so far.

I expect him to get worse if he's as hated as he is by the fans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"