New Mutants I feel terrible for Josh Boone and the entire New Mutants Cast and Crew!

I've seen nothing from his vision or statements to convince me he deserves a trilogy. IMHO it's a rather silly statement to make.

Well, it'll be hard to respond to your brilliant retort of "nuh uh."

There's no doubt he's a fan of these characters (based on the collected editions he owns) who sought out this project because of that. I also think it's clear he has a plan for three movies that isn't vague and isn't a rehash. Everything else depends on the quality of the movie, which neither one of us knows just yet.

I'm certainly not saying let him make a trilogy even if the movies are bad. I'm saying he deserves a fair shot - particularly because the odds of the New Mutant characters being used in the MCU before the trilogy would have been completed is slim. The odds are we'll get an X-Men movie every two years at most (with Deadpool being arguably separate).

Though I wasn't a fan of the trailer (it tried to be so different from every other comic book movies, it became a carbon copy of every other horror movie) I'm still looking forward to characters like Wolfsbane, Sam, Illyana, etc finally appearing on the big screen.

That said I think once the X-men make the leap over to the MCU, it would be too soon to introduce The New Mutants in that same universe. So I don't think there's any hurry in having this team show up alongside their big bros and sisters just yet.

If this one looked eXactly like the comics, I would be sad but nope. The X-Men are also way more interesting, so if the MCU got them right, I don't mind if we don't get the New Mutants in the 2020s.

If this one looked eXactly like the comics, I would be sad but nope. The X-Men are also way more interesting, so if the MCU got them right, I don't mind if we don't get the New Mutants in the 2020s.

Just like Ant-Man looks just like the comics a elderly Hank Pym and a "dead" Janet. Also a very non supervillian comic relief Mandarin. :cwink::whatever:

Mj looks exactly like the red head white girl from the comics too. Same exact personality too! Marvel can do no wrong! :o

Just like Ant-Man looks just like the comics a elderly Hank Pym and a "dead" Janet. Also a very non supervillian comic relief Mandarin. :cwink::whatever:

Mj looks exactly like the red head white girl from the comics too. Same exact personality too! Marvel can do no wrong! :o

Thank you for the use of your sarcasm. I don't champion Marvel Studios for those creative decisions I'd be the first to complain if that happens to a MCU X-Men film, but as of now, Fox is the bigger offender.

You act as if I said Marvel cannot do no wrong. You just want to complain.

I don't really feel sorry for somebody who makes movies for a living and millions of dollars.

Nobody "deserves" a trilogy. They 'deserve' one movie, if they can sell that single movie as a good idea. *Then*, if that movie does well, they can talk about sequels. Even then, they don't "deserve" a trilogy; if the studio decides to greenlight two sequels, that's the studio being generous.

This 'deserves' to crash and burn like a house of cards as much as it 'deserves' a sequel.

That has nothing to do with it.

Based on the budget that Boone was given, it will likely be a success in that context.

I'll wait till we see more. Bit early to get obsessed by this. It may turn out to be excellent but we still really know very little about it.

Though I wasn't a fan of the trailer (it tried to be so different from every other comic book movies, it became a carbon copy of every other horror movie) I'm still looking forward to characters like Wolfsbane, Sam, Illyana, etc finally appearing on the big screen.

My reaction to the trailer as well. The viral marketing is pretty interesting and perhaps a lot is being held back so I am anticipating hearing more.

That said I think once the X-men make the leap over to the MCU, it would be too soon to introduce The New Mutants in that same universe. So I don't think there's any hurry in having this team show up alongside their big bros and sisters just yet.

My sentiments as well.

Nobody "deserves" a trilogy. They 'deserve' one movie, if they can sell that single movie as a good idea. *Then*, if that movie does well, they can talk about sequels. Even then, they don't "deserve" a trilogy; if the studio decides to greenlight two sequels, that's the studio being generous.

I agree with that. But the question is whether someone deserves to have their changes of a second movie be based on whether or not the first movie does well.

I agree with that. But the question is whether someone deserves to have their changes of a second movie be based on whether or not the first movie does well.

The answer is "Yes, 100% absolutely". Their chance of getting a second movie should absolutely depend on how the first one does.

Seems to be a lot of confusion about what's going on with New Mutants, so for clarity purposes I'm going to sum it up for everyone.

This has nothing to do with Disney.

JB made a crappy horror movie that just happened to have the New Mutants in it.

Fox recognized their mistake shortly after the release of the trailer. The public reaction to the trailer was generally confusion & disinterest.

It will be released.

They are not doubling down on that pricks "genius vision" by making the film darker. Even Fox (believe it or not) understands this would be a bad idea.

Reshoots are intended to lighten the tone of this crappy horror movie that just happens to have the New Mutants in it.

Anyone who says this "film" tested even remotely positively is mistaken. Nobody likes JB's excrement (oh I'm sorry I meant movie).

Myself and the majority of the folks whom I worked with are of the opinion this movie cannot be fixed with reshoots alone. It's just that bad.

Fox has a complete "movie" that they've invested big money in. But they are too cheap to redo it all, so they're doing some reshoots in the hopes that they can break even.

I can personally confirm that people high up were warned beforehand that this would not work as a horror movie. They did not listen. I think in part because what was in the works before JB came aboard required a significant budget increase.

The only redeeming quality of this movie is the actors. They did a phenomenal job with what they had to work with. Yet another reason this whole thing is just sad.

Hope that covers it.

After reading all of those, I say good riddance. Like if the first film is bad enough, I wonder what the sequels would turn out to be.

I never got why the horror film angle got so many people excited. It's like the idea of turning Fantastic Four into a David Cronenberg/body horror story.

Because Logan was Western, Deadpool was comedy and now New Mutants is horror....but a different kind of horror in a way how X-Men: Apocalypse was a disaster of a film. :o Fox showing how it's done because MCU films are all the same.

I never got why the horror film angle got so many people excited. It's like the idea of turning Fantastic Four into a David Cronenberg/body horror story.

Yes, exactly. David Cronenberg might just be my favorite directer in the world, but the idea of Jack and Stan's vision of the First Family being re-imagined into something Cronenberg-esque made my enthusiasm for that film on par with getting a rectal examination. As other's have said multiple times, why is it so hard to be an auteur on your own time with your own ideas? If you can't respect the source material and be creative within the established confines you are using to make a name for yourself, then please take your artistic musings elsewhere. Comic book films are less then 10% of the overall film releases per year, there is plenty of opportunity out there for you to be taken seriously. :o

Last edited:
Because Logan was Western, Deadpool was comedy and now New Mutants is horror....but a different kind of horror in a way how X-Men: Apocalypse was a disaster of a film. :o Fox showing how it's done because MCU films are all the same.

Guardians of the Galaxy was a space opera.

The Winter Soldier was a political thriller.

Sorry, but I don't agree.

I think the Stranger Things type of tone would be perfect for New Mutants. And there are supernatural and horror element in the comics, so adding a horror style fits the material.

I think the Stranger Things type of tone would be perfect for New Mutants. And there are supernatural and horror element in the comics, so adding a horror style fits the material.
If you want Stranger Things...why not just watch Stranger Things?

tell that to Fox and producers. Hollywood is famous for looking at the hit of the moment and trying to replicate it

Fox executives need a comfort blanket, something to grasp on to.

Either it's centred on a star of the moment (hello J-Law) or it's based on an existing film/series they can see was a success.

Wonder what happened between J-Law and Weinstein. She says nothing. But i can't believe Weinstein suddenly developed a sense of restraint. If it moved, he was on it and in it, lol...

"I don't like your opinion on this, go watch something else"

That's the most mature thing people say here. Congrats!

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"