Sequels The New Mutants - Josh Boone to Direct

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still hope it is. I don't know how far out a confirmation will be, but it'd be good to know what we are dealing with.
Same. Keep everything else in the present and just let the flagship X-Men eventually catch up. No need to have multiple properties spread out across different times.

well majik is Colossus's sister so it would be nice for it to be present day

Same. Keep everything else in the present and just let the flagship X-Men eventually catch up. No need to have multiple properties spread out across different times.

Either way whatever is set in the past will catch up to the present anyway, it's the same journey.

Although I still think people's expectations of what new mutants will be all about will be totally wrong, it probably won't be X-men mark 2 or just an excuse to have X-men train young mutants to be X-men

Last edited:
Yeah, but considering how the OT is probably done with the last Wolverine we're gonna eventually have to deal with the younger cast playing older, so might as well get that whole not-aging thing over with. It is a big suspension of disbelief, but it'll probably happen sooner or later.

no it wont. Theres no reason to believe McAvoy will be playing an 80 something year old Xavier. He really is not needed in present day material

well majik is Colossus's sister so it would be nice for it to be present day

Magik being Colossus' little sister isnt really important to her character arc in NM. Thats always been more characterization for him as he rarely factored into her NM tales. Besides she can still be his little sister if this is set in the 90s

Last edited:
I disagree with it barely factoring in. I think the biggest example I can think of is after Colossus "died" in Fall of the Mutants and Ilyana tried to kill Forge in revenge. There was also an ongoing theme that Ilyana believed that she was essentially evil and that it was only out of a desire to please her brother (who is so inherently good) that she had any goodness left.

That being said, I don't think it's necessary for a movie where timelines, continuity, and family relations are a mess. I do think it would be a bit of a shame to lose that dynamic, though.

I disagree with it barely factoring in. I think the biggest example I can think of is after Colossus "died" in Fall of the Mutants and Ilyana tried to kill Forge in revenge. There was also an ongoing theme that Ilyana believed that she was essentially evil and that it was only out of a desire to please her brother (who is so inherently good) that she had any goodness left.

That being said, I don't think it's necessary for a movie where timelines, continuity, and family relations are a mess. I do think it would be a bit of a shame to lose that dynamic, though.
That was rather late in her NM run and happened just before she was written out herself. The core of her NM stint did not revolve around Colossus. Im reading through that run now and he was not used much at all. Besides I dont expect to see an adaptation of Fall of the Mutants. The classic NM stories which the film should draw inspiration from are the Claremont issues and Colossus was a relative non-factor in them. Again, we saw more of their relationship in Uncanny and that was as a supporting character to him there. She being a demon sorceres played directly into her interactions with the kids, especially Rahne. NM does not need Colossus in any capacity. He and her family can be mentioned. Her entire backstory would likely need to be rewritten anyway as its complex and could probably serve as a plot for its own film

The dynamic is interesting but I dont even think present day Piotr needs Illyana. The bulk of his stint since the mid 70s didnt include her in her aged Magik form

Last edited:

Yeah pretty much. No need to dilute the period aesthetic between multiple properties either.

Putting them together could be fun, especially after Deadpool did a good job reintroducing Colossus.

Looks like they are bringing on the "Fault in Our Stars" writers for this. So, it seems to be going forward.

New Mutant's obviously will fill in the gap between the 1990's X-Men movie.

New Mutant's will probably take place between 1984 - 1989.

That was rather late in her NM run and happened just before she was written out herself. The core of her NM stint did not revolve around Colossus. Im reading through that run now and he was not used much at all. Besides I dont expect to see an adaptation of Fall of the Mutants. The classic NM stories which the film should draw inspiration from are the Claremont issues and Colossus was a relative non-factor in them. Again, we saw more of their relationship in Uncanny and that was as a supporting character to him there. She being a demon sorceres played directly into her interactions with the kids, especially Rahne. NM does not need Colossus in any capacity. He and her family can be mentioned. Her entire backstory would likely need to be rewritten anyway as its complex and could probably serve as a plot for its own film

He didn't appear, but his presence was felt. The central theme from the beginning was good vs. evil/nature vs. nurture. Colossus always represented her nature side with Belasco being nurture. It's important to have somebody that fundamentally good-hearted to make it work. I'd have to go through a bunch of issues to find examples, but it came up pretty much any time either Bobby or Raine was scared of her after seeing Limbo. Certainly, I'm talking about the Claremont run, not the Simonson run.

It's not necessary for the movie, I agree. I thought, given what they had done, they might as well not have made Havok and Cyclops related. I also think if Siryn were to appear (likely connected to Deadpool), she won't be connected to Banshee. But I like these family connections and I'd prefer a more modern New Mutants movie to help separate it from the young X-Men cast.

By the looks of it, they have approached a few actors and are fine tuning the script. I could see cameras rolling next year at the rate things are going.:up:

He didn't appear, but his presence was felt. The central theme from the beginning was good vs. evil/nature vs. nurture. Colossus always represented her nature side with Belasco being nurture. It's important to have somebody that fundamentally good-hearted to make it work. I'd have to go through a bunch of issues to find examples, but it came up pretty much any time either Bobby or Raine was scared of her after seeing Limbo. Certainly, I'm talking about the Claremont run, not the Simonson run.

It's not necessary for the movie, I agree. I thought, given what they had done, they might as well not have made Havok and Cyclops related. I also think if Siryn were to appear (likely connected to Deadpool), she won't be connected to Banshee. But I like these family connections and I'd prefer a more modern New Mutants movie to help separate it from the young X-Men cast.

I prefer it be in the present as well but it doesnt need to be. A 90s New Mutant film can still have that Colossus/Illyana relationship. It would be more pure and more representative of the Claremont era bc he would be young as well as opposed to the adult he is in the present day. I dont get why people assume that a 90s NM film would eliminate that family tie.

I hope one of the writers decide to set this in the present times! That'd be awesome! :ilv:

I prefer it be in the present as well but it doesnt need to be. A 90s New Mutant film can still have that Colossus/Illyana relationship. It would be more pure and more representative of the Claremont era bc he would be young as well as opposed to the adult he is in the present day. I dont get why people assume that a 90s NM film would eliminate that family tie.

90s would be fine with me. Frankly, Colossus looks a little old in Deadpool. I prefer a 19 or 20 year old Colossus. However, I think an overriding issue is how to differentiate it from the X-Men movies. The X-Men movies are the ones exploring every era. Their next movie will likely be a 90s movie. Of course, this movie seems likely to explore magic and fantasy and things like that, which will help.

No matter what, though, I would ignore character ages as a consideration. I don't think the people making these movies care. The decade they're in is an excuse to show that decade. It isn't supposed to make sense and you're only setting yourself up for disappointment if you try and make it make sense. Just think of it as a floating timeline like they do in the comics.

No need for that flagship X-Men to catch up. Just set all X-Men movies set in the present!

I very much doubt the majik and collosus relationship is even on their minds tbh, all it would likely be there for is so fans can sleep at night knowing its there.

We were lucky they even acknowledged the havok and scott relationship tbh and i still question whether that would have happened if havok wasn't to be killed off in the movie

Yeah pretty much. No need to dilute the period aesthetic between multiple properties either.

Putting them together could be fun, especially after Deadpool did a good job reintroducing Colossus.

Deadpool was cool in that movie!:ilv: It was nice to see him train a mutant, I wish someday Cyclops, Storm, Rogue, Iceman, Kitty, Beast and Phoenix could do that in a film set in present-times.

What I do not get is why introduce Magik, Sunspot, Cannonball, Wolfsbane, Warlock and Mirage in the late 80s or early 90s setting when we just got the younger version of Storm, Nightcrawler, Storm and Phoenix.

Not only they are forcing and boxing the X-Men into the past setting, they are also trying to shoehorn more younger mutants when we haven't seen Xavier train Nightcrawler, Cyclops, Phoenix and Storm in battle.

Its freaking all over the place and that needs to stop.

Not only they are forcing and boxing the X-Men into the past setting, they are also trying to shoehorn more younger mutants when we haven't seen Xavier train Nightcrawler, Cyclops, Phoenix and Storm in battle.

Its freaking all over the place and that needs to stop.
We just saw him train the first 3 in battle. Weren't you the one advocating the next X-men film jump ahead 10 years? If its in the 90s, all 4 characters will be vets and wont need field training by Xavier.

In the books, the X-men were superheroes; the NM were not. Their strict role and their tales were about teenage hijinks which would often land them in trouble. They have a different vibe which would be more lighthearted and less serious and depressing than the X-men films are if Boone manages to get the spirit and tone of the team right.

We just saw him train the first 3 in battle. Weren't you the one advocating the next X-men film jump ahead 10 years? If its in the 90s, all 4 characters will be vets and wont need field training by Xavier.

In the books, the X-men were superheroes; the NM were not. Their strict role and their tales were about teenage hijinks which would often land them in trouble. They have a different vibe which would be more lighthearted and less serious and depressing than the X-men films are if Boone manages to get the spirit and tone of the team right.

I only want the 10 year jump so they could quickly move on to the present. But the time jump isn't an excuse to put Phoenix, Cyclops, Nightcrawler and Storm in the sidelines.

And in the comic-books there were already a lot of stories for the X-Men before the New Mutants entered. So not similar here. You don't reintroduce Phoenix, Cyclops, Nightcrawler and Storm with their younger version. Then have Prof X train another set of mutants in the next film. Then the build-up to this New Mutants movie is non-existent especially if they are trying to push this film to be set in the past. Release this 2018, its gonna come out of nowhere and that will hurt the film/film series.

Last edited:
I only want the 10 year jump so they could quickly move on to the present. But the time jump isn't an excuse to put Phoenix, Cyclops, Nightcrawler and Storm in the sidelines.

And in the comic-books there were already a lot of stories for the X-Men before the New Mutants entered. So not similar here. You don't reintroduce Phoenix, Cyclops, Nightcrawler and Storm with their younger version. Then have Prof X train another set of mutants in the next film. Then the build-up to this New Mutants movie is non-existent especially if they are trying to push this film to be set in the past. Release this 2018, its gonna come out of nowhere and that will hurt the film/film series.

As we saw in Apocalypse, the school has tons of mutant children. Jean, Scott, Kurt and Ororo arent the only ones that are getting trained in their powers. NM will likely be set several years from that so that they will be the new young group and not really have to worry with overlap. By that point, the X-men will likely be facing bigger threats, whereas the NM's will be more grounded and personal to the members, like Demon Bear for example

And why does it need build up? The first film in any new series does not need build up.

I will agree with you that the franchise is a mess but I try not to say much on it bc I realize I sound like a broken record when it comes to touting that they should have done a complete reboot years ago instead of keeping things in the past.

As we saw in Apocalypse, the school has tons of mutant children. Jean, Scott, Kurt and Ororo arent the only ones that are getting trained in their powers. NM will likely be set several years from that so that they will be the new young group and not really have to worry with overlap. By that point, the X-men will likely be facing bigger threats, whereas the NM's will be more grounded and personal to the members, like Demon Bear for example

And why does it need build up? The first film in any new series does not need build up.

If they want to continue doing more spin-offs after spin-offs, they better know how to build things up. MCu is doing very well in regard to that. You just cannot throw something to the audience and just hope it sticks especially Apocalypse just underperformed this year.

If they want to continue doing more spin-offs after spin-offs, they better know how to build things up. MCu is doing very well in regard to that. You just cannot throw something to the audience and just hope it sticks especially Apocalypse just underperformed this year.
What build up did Ant Man have? What build up did GotG have? The big team event films (the 2 Avengers and CW) film had proper build. Ones where you are introducing new main characters doesn't need that. This movie will lay the groundwork for them and serve as buildup for their next outing which one can presumably assume will be bigger

Those films probably did not get a build up by having a tease or cameo in another film before their film got released, but still MCU were on a roll when those films were released. And unlike New Mutants... I don't see how the other films could have teased GOTG and Ant-Man. GOTG was set in space and Scott Lang wasn't Ant-Man yet. And here, they are gonna use Professor X again, probably the X-Mansion.Storm again. Its not really a different territory that a build-up is impossible to do and in Apocalypse they didn't do that, during the final scene, they were teasing Phoenix, Cyclops, Nightcrawler, Storm becoming proper X-Men and Sinister.

And like I said, Apocalypse lost the momentum. If Deadpool 2/Wolverine 3 turn out to be great, it could be a missed opportunity to hype people for the New Mutants, I don't see how they could insert something related to New Mutants if New Mutants is set in the past. Like I felt the Deadpool movie could have been teased the next X-Men movie especially Colossus was in the movie but of course that didn't happen because X-Men: Apocalypse is set in the past.

So its really gonna out of nowhere. Spider-Man/Black Panther got some advantage by appearing in Civil War. Captain Marvel will appear in Avengers 3 before her solo film. WHile New Mutants is just gonna appear out of nowhere when its released, similar to First Class, especially its roster is really not well known to the GA. Rmember when people complained about Havok, Banshee and there weren't really big X-Men characters other than Prof X, Beast, Mystique, Magneto. This one could have a similar effect.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"