I get off work, and my car is missing....it's been towed!

How I do I put this...

The Chicago Police hires mob run towing companies. The towing companies know that a lot of people have insurance towing coverage, and they know that insurance companies, by law, have to pay for any towing costs as the law there currently stands. So they jack up the price and then some. $1,000 is the low end for some of them. I've seen a $3,000 tow and $700 storage for two days, on a vehicle worth about $500.

This is why I hate Chicago, not only does their pizza suck, but the mob there has no decency. Back when the mob ruled NYC they had class, dignity, they didn't **** on all the little people.

How I do I put this...

The Chicago Police Department apparently hires mob run towing companies. The towing companies know that a lot of people have insurance towing coverage, and they know that insurance companies, by law, have to pay for any towing costs as the law there currently stands. So they jack up the price and then some. $1,000 is the low end for some of them. I've seen a $3,000 tow and $700 storage for two days, on a vehicle worth about $500.
And cars are cheaper over there too...

How often then, would the tow be worth more than the car..?

Fairly often people just sign their cars over to the towing company. We've "totaled" cars based on the towing charges, because the amount of the tow was excessively more than the vehicle was worth, and since the tow often stems from the damages, it's considered part of a collision loss.

I wouldn't say they all have no decency. I've negotiated some of those tows down to $300 or so. They're mindful of the fact that most people simply don't have that money. The average tow is about $150 within a 30 mile radius, plus about $30 storage per day.

Some, not all, but some of those companies charging higher prices use it as leverage. They'll say things like, "Well, the bill is $1,000, but if you get it out of here today and get a check in the mail to me, I'll let it go for $300". That's rare, though.

My **** was like a mile away from the yard, so you know.

If she called the cops on you and they used their tow company, I think you pretty much got a break for $100 on the tow, regardless of distance. Standard rate, regardless of where you are, usually approaches $100, unless you know someone, or its a private tow company, who might charge $70-80.

Fairly often people just sign their cars over to the towing company. We've "totaled" cars based on the towing charges, because the amount of the tow was excessively more than the vehicle was worth, and since the tow often stems from the damages, it's considered part of a collision loss.

I wouldn't say they all have no decency. I've negotiated some of those tows down to $300 or so. They're mindful of the fact that most people simply don't have that money. The average tow is about $150 within a 30 mile radius, plus about $30 storage per day.

Some, not all, but some of those companies charging higher prices use it as leverage. They'll say things like, "Well, the bill is $1,000, but if you get it out of here today and get a check in the mail to me, I'll let it go for $300". That's rare, though.
Yeah, over here we get subrogations where if a car's been stolen for a while, the insurance company will buy them out and now the car's the insurance company's fault once it gets recovered.

Since they're private companies I'd doubt they'd stand for paying out the owner only to find out later that it was impounded...

I'd assume over here it'd pretty much be signed over straight away... and these councils often go through wrecking yards rather than have their own impound lot to take these cars so you know they'd be able to use those wrecks... others, Pickles Auctions (which from what I can gather is a state run auction of confiscated goods, signed over impounded vehicles, etc) also have their own yards some councils go through.

How I do I put this...

The Chicago Police Department apparently hires mob run towing companies. The towing companies know that a lot of people have insurance towing coverage, and they know that insurance companies, by law, have to pay for any towing costs as the law there currently stands. So they jack up the price and then some. $1,000 is the low end for some of them. I've seen a $3,000 tow and $700 storage for two days, on a vehicle worth about $500.

This is bull, I've gotten my car towed twice, both times here in Chicago and both times it was $150 for the tow and $10/day storage (then of course there's the ticket). I've never heard of a $1,000 tow.

Tell me the *****es address and I'll have her killed by morning
The morning, you lazy bum I'll have her killed before it gets dark she won't even have time to take teeth out :twisted:
Crazy old women are ruining everyone's day today, it seems. Mine was ****ed up by an old lady, too, but at least I didn't have to pay a fee :csad:
Sneeze on them a little cold will send them on a one way trip to a funeral parlor.
This is bull, I've gotten my car towed twice, both times here in Chicago and both times it was $150 for the tow and $10/day storage (then of course there's the ticket). I've never heard of a $1,000 tow.
Perhaps they liked your face

I remember when I was selling cars. I had a guy come in who was so behind on his payment that he was on the verge of being repossessed. So, he thought that he'd be able to trade out of it into a new car and avoid the repossession. It was late on a Saturday night and about to close, so we managed to put a car deal together. The only thing he had going for him was a sizable income. Which later we found out he lied about. Anyway, come Tuesday, we got the final turn down from the lenders. So, we had to get the car back. He came in that Tuesday afternoon to return the car and when I went back to the trade in lot behind the dealership, I couldn't find the car he was trying to trade in. So, I went to find the used car manager and ask if he knew what happened to it, he said it got repossessed by the lender. So, now he can't buy our car and the car he was in has been repossessed. Talk about being uncomfortable. I had to go tell him, we couldn't put him in a car and that his car wasn't here anymore and he had to call someone for a ride.

I love how violent this place is. Down with the *****es that **** with us!:funny:

Pft, the community forum is childs play. You should hang out in the Spider-Man comics forum. WHEW! It's like both World Wars and the Vietnam War combined! :wow:

Sucks you got towed though. I don't know where you live but if you are even remotely blocking anyones driveway or anything that's private parking you have the right to be towed.

Next time, just make sure you are not blocking anything. It sucks. But the lesson has to be learned somehow.

I do security in downtown Pittsburgh for a very private building and we have our own private lot with giant signs that say, "Tow Away Zone" and "You must have a parking Permit for *insert address here* to park here". People illegally park all the time and it's the greatest feeling in the world to tow them away. :woot:

Pft, the community forum is childs play. You should hang out in the Spider-Man comics forum. WHEW! It's like both World Wars and the Vietnam War combined! :wow:

Sucks you got towed though. I don't know where you live but if you are even remotely blocking anyones driveway or anything that's private parking you have the right to be towed.

Next time, just make sure you are not blocking anything. It sucks. But the lesson has to be learned somehow.

I do security in downtown Pittsburgh for a very private building and we have our own private lot with giant signs that say, "Tow Away Zone" and "You must have a parking Permit for *insert address here* to park here". People illegally park all the time and it's the greatest feeling in the world to tow them away. :woot:

Go to hell. :cmad:

It has to be a police order to tow cars on the street, so she basically called the cops, they called their own towing people, and it was towed. 20 bucks for the release form from the station, and another 100.00 for the towing fee. :cmad:
Here's what you do. Get her address, spend the 39c on a stamp, and mail her a letter. Explain to her how you are sorry that you accidentally parked six inches into her driveway. But the good news, however, is that the money you used to pay for the towing and fine, came out of your grammy's medical fund. Since she didn't have the meds she needed because you spent the money on your fine, she has passed on, freeing you from further financial burden. Include a clipping of a random obituary for added effect.

When I was in college living in my fraternity house, some of the guys from the house next door would always park in our lot, after continuously telling them not to park there anymore, we called the cops to have one of the cars towed. It was great, tow truck came and all of us were watching from the windows, one of the members of the house next door, noticed his friend's car being towed and went inside to tell him. He came running out in his boxer shorts with his checkbook trying to pay the guy, but since the car was already hoisted on the tow, the tow truck operator couldn't let it down and hauled it away. No one outside of our house ever parked in our lot again.

Goddamn snitches.

It sucks to get towed :( . I got a $50 ticket for parking to close to the fire hydrant. I didn't care so i immediately went to pay the ticket in person and parked my car Behind the building where i was going to pay. 1 hour and a half passes by and next thing i know my cars gone. I panic & call the Cops. I go to the station and next thing i know they tell me it got towed. So i pay $280 to get it out and have to pay another ticket for $120 for illegal parking. All in less than 3 hours :o....

Parking spaces are like gold at colleges, you do what you have to do

Pittsburgh's got lots of problems.
http://www.gadling.com/2009/07/13/famous-pittsburgh-morse-code-landmark-actually-spells-pitetsbkrr/

Since March 1929, the 33 story Grant building in downtown Pittsburgh has been home to a huge flashing beacon, using Morse code to spell the word "Pittsburgh". The beacon was installed so aviators could avoid the 500 foot structure, even though commercial air travel was not well established upon completion of the tower.

When Tom Stepleton was waiting for the local Fourth of July fireworks show to begin, he started decoding the Morse code message, but to his amazement, he noticed the flashing blink of the letter "K". Since there is no K in Pittsburgh, he decoded the rest of the message, and discovered that the landmark was actually spelling "Pitetsbkrrh".

It isn't clear how long the beacon had been relaying the incorrect message, but the building's current owners are aware of the mistake.

Mr. Stepleton is a recreational pilot, and even though the FAA no longer requires pilots to master Morse code, it isn't too hard to learn. The correct beacon flash pattern should be ".--. .. - - ... -... ..- .-. --. .... ". If you want to learn more about Morse code, or if you'd just like to mess around with it, and see your own name in Morse, check out this fun online Morse code decoder/encoder.

UPDATE: Now the building is flashing "TPEBTSAURGH"

[YT]3fTYzoSDAS4[/YT]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"