If DC had an Infinity War

Why should DC have an "Infinity War"? And why should they follow Marvel's template, but having the movies lead to a 'big event crisis.' Can't they just put out great movies? Does everything have to be a mirror version of something else? Nah, let's have them follow their own path. There is a Marvel Studios already. I don't need more of the same.
It's following what they do in their own comics and source material though. Ignore Marvel.

I'd prefer them to delve into what makes each of the characters unique in their solo movies, though. No throug-lines, no set-ups for the big event. Just great stories, with a beginning and an end. There's more interesting material than the events that they can bring to the big screen.

I'm just trying to think of the films WB would have needed for Infinite Crisis. They would have needed solo films for Superman, Wonder Woman, Batman, Green Lantern, Flash and Aquaman, and at least 2 sequels for the first three, at least 2 JL film, so already you're looking at 14 films alone just for the core JL members. After that I'm not sure who would have been added but you would have had to consider characters like Green Arrow, Atom, Hawkman and Hawkgirl, Blue Beetle, Booster Gold, Doctor Fate, Shazam, Supergirl, on top of teams like Teen Titans, Birds of Prey and JL Dark. You're looking anywhere between another 10-12 films of secondary characters on top of the 14 JL member movies to make an Infinite Crisis movie worth while. It would have taken at least 5 years longer for WB to get to where Marvel got.

I'm just trying to think of the films WB would have needed for Infinite Crisis. They would have needed solo films for Superman, Wonder Woman, Batman, Green Lantern, Flash and Aquaman, and at least 2 sequels for the first three, at least 2 JL film, so already you're looking at 14 films alone just for the core JL members. After that I'm not sure who would have been added but you would have had to consider characters like Green Arrow, Atom, Hawkman and Hawkgirl, Blue Beetle, Booster Gold, Doctor Fate, Shazam, Supergirl, on top of teams like Teen Titans, Birds of Prey and JL Dark. You're looking anywhere between another 10-12 films of secondary characters on top of the 14 JL member movies to make an Infinite Crisis movie worth while. It would have taken at least 5 years longer for WB to get to where Marvel got.
What made you go for Infinite Crisis over Crisis on Infinite Earths?

I'd prefer them to delve into what makes each of the characters unique in their solo movies, though. No throug-lines, no set-ups for the big event. Just great stories, with a beginning and an end. There's more interesting material than the events that they can bring to the big screen.
There’s nothing wrong with that. Even when everything is in a universe you only really need to pay lip service to the universe aspect rather than have cameos all over the place. You can have great solo stories and then major events that you might not personally interested in (also fair enough), but will be great for those who are interested and will also pay the bills for more solo movies like the MCU event films have done for the MCU. The likes of Ant Man would have likely got a much smaller budget otherwise and Guardians would probably never have been made. It’s not like people who want a great DC universe on film want good rather than great solos. Most of them would welcome TDK trilogy into the universe even though it makes no external references.

If Chris Reeve was alive and well, now would be a good time for WB to make a live action Kingdom Come movie with him, Keaton and Lynda Carter in the roles that made them famous.

If Chris Reeve was alive and well, now would be a good time for WB to make a live action Kingdom Come movie with him, Keaton and Lynda Carter in the roles that made them famous.
:hmr: :hmr: :hmr:

Infinity war feels like a big event because Marvel have carefully set the groundwork over 14 or so films establishing both characters and the key plot device ( the stones).

DC has had some wonderful cross over events in its history ( IMO Crisis on Infinite Earths being the best with Kingdom Come as a close second - and it is really a Superman story).

However because the Dceu is in tatters with wildly different quality and tone of films, to try and do any of that stuff now, well....they haven't earned it yet.

The CW shows are a different story, their cross overs are great goofy fun.

I hope that one day they get it together and give us a Superman show we can enjoy.

I wouldn’t quite go that far, but the technology exists to bring the likes of Reeve back for small cameos... hence my DC multiverse idea.

I'm not a regular watcher of the CW shows, but someone who knows my love for things DC bought me the Invasion! crossover DVD and I really enjoyed it. In fact I enjoyed it far more than I did Justice League.

I'm not a regular watcher of the CW shows, but someone who knows my love for things DC bought me the Invasion! crossover DVD and I really enjoyed it. In fact I enjoyed it far more than I did Justice League.
Yep, definitely fun.

Is there a truncated vers of Crisis? Either story seems difficult to do because there are too out-there and too many plot points.

The whole formation of the Justice League {New 52 style} and then leading to some battle with Darkseid, that's about it as far as DC's IW.
Wouldn't have any macguffins apart from...a math equation.

Practically all the other DC events are so weird and hard to translate for a mass audience by comparison.

Is there a truncated vers of Crisis? Either story seems difficult to do because there are too out-there and too many plot points.
Just running through the events of CoIE in my mind I guess you could leave out;
  • The Freedom Fighters and the Charlton heroes
  • Sgt Rock/Haunted Tank, etc
  • Jonah Hex, Bat Lash, etc
  • The prehistoric stuff
  • Kamandi, etc in the future
So no need to travel back/forwards in time, the story can be kept in the present, focusing on characters already known to the GA - so basically all those appearing in DCEU movies up to that point and alternate versions of them from several Earths.

Also, CoIE suffers from serious ending fatigue ('We've beaten the Anti-Monitor! Oh no, there he is... Now we've beaten him! Oh wait, he's back...' and so on), so that can be pared down to one big battle towards the end, followed by an epilogue showing the changes resulting from the whole thing (maybe with a voice-over by Harbinger, along the lines of Amy Adams at the end of JL).

That's just off the top of my head. I think you could still get a sense of massive scale but make it easier to follow.

Last edited:
Infinity war feels like a big event because Marvel have carefully set the groundwork over 14 or so films establishing both characters and the key plot device ( the stones).

DC has had some wonderful cross over events in its history ( IMO Crisis on Infinite Earths being the best with Kingdom Come as a close second - and it is really a Superman story).

However because the Dceu is in tatters with wildly different quality and tone of films, to try and do any of that stuff now, well....they haven't earned it yet.

I hope that one day they get it together and give us a Superman show we can enjoy.

That "whatever cinematic universe that does nto do the exact same thing as the mcu is bad" animosity i have been hearing for a while does not make any sense.

We got a butchered SS and JL, but BvS set up the Justice League in a good way, in fact the story presented and developed was better made than the one from the mcu because they were making it right from the start. They had earned it, they just ruined the punchline with reshoots and awful editing.

In regards to this thread, Justice League was gonna be the cinematic equivalent to Infinity War, at least the movie where Darkseid appeared, but not anymore.

How Marvel's films built up to Infinity War & Avenger'4 next year I would love to see DC's movies build up to there own large event like that.

I see what some people are saying though that they wouldn't want to see DC just carbon copy Marvel's model.

To have a similar large team up event but with a different outcome I think Crisis On Infinite Earth's would be excellent.

First big bonus is the Infinite Earths story could work as a way to re-cast any actors or actress wanting out of the franchise (Im looking at you Cavill & Affleck)

You could have the big old battles, power displays and fight for the fate of the universe but instead of an Infinity War type ending that effects the entire universe that I imagine will be largely fixed in the next movie have a much more personal and contained ending with the sacrifice of The Flash to save everyone.

Just running through the events of CoIE in my mind I guess you could leave out;
  • The Freedom Fighters and the Charlton heroes
  • Sgt Rock/Haunted Tank, etc
  • Jonah Hex, Bat Lash, etc
  • The prehistoric stuff
  • Kamandi, etc in the future
So no need to travel back/forwards in time, the story can be kept in the present, focusing on characters already known to the GA - so basically all those appearing in DCEU movies up to that point and alternate versions of them from several Earths.

Also, CoIE suffers from serious ending fatigue ('We've beaten the Anti-Monitor! Oh no, there he is... Now we've beaten him! Oh wait, he's back...' and so on), so that can be pared down to one big battle towards the end, followed by an epilogue showing the changes resulting from the whole thing (maybe with a voice-over by Harbinger, along the lines of Amy Adams at the end of JL).

That's just off the top of my head. I think you could still get a sense of massive scale but make it easier to follow.
Even subtracting those guys/things, there's apparently still a heck of a lot of absurd plot points and characters being thrown into the mix and in constant flux at every twist & turn.
What has been adapted...Crisis on Two Earths (loosely) or Flashpoint Paradox are relatively easier to do, yet neither are stories that require build-up beyond the basic solo origins.
MV5BMzg0ODZjNjUtNmVhZi00NTYxLWExNWMtMWI3MDFiMjhiNjc2L2ltYWdlL2ltYWdlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTAyODkwOQ@@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg
MV5BMTgwNTljYzgtOTU3ZC00ZjhhLTk0YzItY2RiMWU0MGZlNzFjL2ltYWdlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDQ2MTMzODA@._V1_UY268_CR2,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

Alternate Universe Lex just shows up one day, Terminator-style to seek the help of the Justice League.
Barry just decides one day to go back and save his mom, which has unintended consequences.
Between those, the Injustice games, Crisis on Earth-X crossover, and comics like Dark Nights: Metal
batman-v-superman-fight-criticsight-500x281.jpg

61t9c9uQnbL._SS500.jpg

PLcM-fyrcsrw4974602.jpg

it seems DC has an infatuation with pitting the League against evil analogues & retroactive "what if" scenarios & elseworlds colliding with the main Earth

What has been adapted...Crisis on Two Earths (loosely) or Flashpoint Paradox are relatively easier to do, yet neither are stories that require build-up beyond the basic solo origins.
Oh I agree that the animated movies Crisis on Two Earths and The Flashpoint Paradox (two of my very favourites, btw) would be easier to adapt for live-action than Crisis on Infinite Earths. In fact I prefer TFP to the original Flashpoint comic.

Last edited:
First big bonus is the Infinite Earths story could work as a way to re-cast any actors or actress wanting out of the franchise (Im looking at you Cavill & Affleck)
That of course was thought to be a possible benefit of them doing Flashpoint when it was still on the table. To be honest I think it's still more likely that we'll get a Flashpoint movie at some point (not for some years) than Crisis on Infinite Earths.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"