• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

The Dark Knight If Jake Gyllenhaal was cast as Dent would the Brokeback connection bother you ?

Mee said:
But it is my answer.

To a question that wasn't asked :p
icon12.gif

Yes.

Why?

Dont get me wrong, I liked Brokeback Mountain, but Gyllenhaal has nothing same with Dent. He doesn't look like Dent.

With Ledger, I am fine, he has something from Joker. But Jake isn't Dent. He is very good actor, but I see someone older and better in this role.

Jackman looks right and I would be fine with him.

But not with Jake.

yes it would bother me because the media will over hype this movie for the wrong reasons.

Majik1387 said:
It wouldn't bother me. The thing that would bother me would be the people who don't like it because of their gay roles on Brokeback Mountain.

The thing that would bother me would be the people who don't like it because of their gay roles on Brokeback Mountain:up:

Oh yah man it would really take me out of the movie. Like during the first movie I kept expecting Morgan Freeman to find Katie Holmes head in a box. Speaking of her everytime I saw her on screen all I could think of was wheres Dawson? And Bale was just American Psycho all the way, I just couldn't see anything else. Oh and Liam Neeson was Kinsey to me the entire time.

Are you people serious? Because you know that two straight males are good enough actors to play in a movie where they happen to believably fall in love, now thats all you can think of them as? Whats so weird about it?

I think they are both good enough actors that it wouldnt bother anyone once they saw them in character.
Even those who hate the casting ;)

i dont really have a problem with gyllenhaal i enjoyed his acting in donnie darko, brokeback and jarhead (very underated movie IMO) but i just dont see him as Dent, and besides the fact he and ledger were the two leads in a popular movie (be it about gay cowboys or not) and then they reunite on batman. it would sorta take you out of the whole batman movie thing, and the press would hype it as ledger and gyllenhaal reunite agen for a movie....also starring christian bale. NOT COOL

I'm sure it wouldn't bother the movie itself at all. If both gave the performances they are capable of then no problem whatsoever.

What WOULD bother me is the fact that the media will obviously pick up on the Brokeback connection and that is ALL they would be talking about in relation to the movie. It would get hyped for all the wrong reasons.

That's something I've noticed.

Brokeback is the new term now to say gay.

It's like, the words *** and Homo are out cause they're obviously so offensive.....but Brokeback is game b/c it's from a movie. So, you could easily say that term anywhere, anytime, anyway to attack gays.....and you'd be fine. It's kinda odd how that worked out......

ChrisBaleBatman said:
That's something I've noticed.

Brokeback is the new term now to say gay.

It's like, the words *** and Homo are out cause they're obviously so offensive.....but Brokeback is game b/c it's from a movie. So, you could easily say that term anywhere, anytime, anyway to attack gays.....and you'd be fine. It's kinda odd how that worked out......

its quite sad, id expect the term to rise in usage in the next couple of years and kids will forget that it came from quite a good movie. still calling people brokeback is quite humourous....for now.

no but the brokeback jokes that everyone would make would bother me.

Cinemaman said:
Dont get me wrong, I liked Brokeback Mountain, but Gyllenhaal has nothing same with Dent. He doesn't look like Dent.
lol Gyllenhaal is Dent :p
Just replace Lawyer with Actor, add some acid, and viola!
Gyllenhaal is actually a good actor. He delivers his lines with well thought out motivation. But its his subtext that makes him incredible. He isnt a chameleon like Ledger (i dont think he has been in a movie that gave him that opportunity besides Bubble Boy :p ) but he is so readable his acting looks effortless and that makes you forget he is acting.

We saw his version of a disturbed adolescent in Donnie Darko and it was incredible. I know he could pull off a role like Dent even if I hadnt seen him in all of his other movies.

I like the idea of Dent being younger, it will give him something on Batman.
Younger, faster maybe. I mean how menacing is an older lawyer going to be...

And the most important thing is he is a huge fan so you know he is going to work his a$$ off.
He is one us...we should take care of our own! ;)
Crap I drank that wheatgrass too fast...

bluehit said:

I trust in Nolan, so... if this two guys will be the villians, i should say: i will trust in Ledger even in Gyllenhaal like a Dent.:up:

bluehit said:
I trust in Nolan, so... if this two guys will be the villians, i should say: i will trust in Ledger even in Gyllenhaal like a Dent.:up:
Sorry but this made me giggle
icon10.gif
:(

DV8 said:
heh . . . you didn't even have an inkling? Just look at how frail he is, and the slight 'gay-man' lisp . . . . not to mention this pic of him:
quote]

Pics didnt work.

7Hells said:
lol Gyllenhaal is Dent :p
Just replace Lawyer with Actor, add some acid, and viola!
Gyllenhaal is actually a good actor. He delivers his lines with well thought out motivation. But its his subtext that makes him incredible. He isnt a chameleon like Ledger (i dont think he has been in a movie that gave him that opportunity besides Bubble Boy :p ) but he is so readable his acting looks effortless and that makes you forget he is acting.

We saw his version of a disturbed adolescent in Donnie Darko and it was incredible. I know he could pull off a role like Dent even if I hadnt seen him in all of his other movies.

I like the idea of Dent being younger, it will give him something on Batman.
Younger, faster maybe. I mean how menacing is an older lawyer going to be...

And the most important thing is he is a huge fan so you know he is going to work his a$$ off.
He is one us...we should take care of our own! ;)
Crap I drank that wheatgrass too fast...

Gyllenhaal sold me with Jarhead.

Cinemaman said:
Yes.

Why?

With Ledger, I am fine, he has something from Joker. But Jake isn't Dent. He is very good actor, but I see someone older and better in this role.

Jackman looks right and I would be fine with him.

But not with Jake.

Gyllenhaals age does not bother me at all - the average age for a D.A. in New York is 28. Gyllenhaal is 26 now - not bad.

StorminNorman said:
Gyllenhaals age does not bother me at all - the average age for a D.A. in New York is 28. Gyllenhaal is 26 now - not bad.

He might be 26, but he looks even younger than that. I'd much rather see a slightly older Harvey Dent.

Gyllenhaal's voice also ruins it for me. Dent needs a strong, manly voice. Schreiber has that in spades. Gyllenhaal's still squeeking from puberty.

DA Harvey Dent said:
It wouldn't bother me b/c i never saw BBM and dont ever intend to.

Same here. Although I don't think it would be a good idea..

It wouldn't bug me at all really. I would say: "hey... what a coincidence! Both those actors are in that one movie."

And then I would continue watching Batman Begins 2, undistracted.

I won't have a problem if Jake Gyllenhaal is cast as DA Harvey Dent, because both Ledger and Gyllenhaal are good young actors and they can play Joker and Two-Face just as well as their other roles because they have the talents to pull it off. Unfortunately, some people will not be able to separate the parts they played with the actors themselves, and inevitably some lame "Brokeback Bat" jokes will crop up if this possibility ever becomes a reality.

Btw, I never heard people making gay jokes on Phillippe Seymour Hoffman, even though he has played two gay characters in films already, but is a straight man in life. Why is it that Ledger and Gyllenhaal getting all the gay jokes just because they did BBM?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"