• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

The Dark Knight If Jake Gyllenhaal was cast as Dent would the Brokeback connection bother you ?

Hunter Rider

Ronin
Staff member
Reaction score
Ok so we have seemingly got Ledger as The Joker and already the silly "brokeback bat" stuff has started so my question is simple,would it bother you if they escalated the situation by casting his onscreen BF from Brokeback as Harvey Dent ?

Note:This isn't a "no i hate Jake for other reasons" thread it's a very specific question

Personally if Nolan thinks he is right for the part im in total favour of it and think the whole inability to separate ppl and their roles is insanity

Him getting cast as Dent would bother me with or without Ledger. I just don't think he's right for the part.

Mee said:
Him getting cast as Dent would bother me with or without Ledger. I just don't think he's right for the part.

Fair enough but that isnt the question

Not really,but it would bother most other people.

The fact that is needs to be asked is a real shame...however it is something Batman Begins 2 would have to deal with if Gyllenhaal is cast.

It would, actually. Seeing them on screen together, and knowing who they were, would remind me of BBM. It'd take me out of the movie.

No, it wouldn't bother me.

Boom said:
It would, actually. Seeing them on screen together, and knowing who they were, would remind me of BBM. It'd take me out of the movie.
Really ? well i salute you for actually posting your view as opposed to those that voted yes and didn't post:up:
Under all that make up they will be doing with Ledger though would it really look like the same two ppl ?

It would take away too much from the actual movie and would come off as a gimicky publicity stunt. Plus I don't think Jake is right for Two-Face. Ironically enough, Jake was at one point one of my top picks for The Joker, then Heath got it.

hunter rider said:
Really ? well i salute you for actually posting your view as opposed to those that voted yes and didn't post:up:
Under all that make up they will be doing with Ledger though would it really look like the same two ppl ?
Well, the problem is that despite all of the makeup, I still know that Heath Ledger is playing The Joker.

Boom said:

same.

Boom said:
Well, the problem is that despite all of the makeup, I still know that Heath Ledger is playing The Joker.

Would you say it was because the two played gay lovers that would ruin it for you ? or just that thye were in the same film ? for instance if they had been buddy cops together in a film would it be as distracting

hunter rider said:
Would you say it was because the two played gay lovers that would ruin it for you ? or just that thye were in the same film ? for instance if they had been buddy cops together in a film would it be as distracting
Good question. I've got no problem with the fact that they played gay lovers in a movie. It's just that BBM got so much controversy and publicity surrounding that fact that the movie blew out of proportion. That's the problem that Ledger now faces: the inevitable "gay Joker" and "Brokebat Mountain" jokes (which aren't really jokes at all, as they don't provoke laughter. Idiocy is a better term to use).

The reason this would bother me is because while trying to enjoy this movie, I would instinctively make the BBM connection, and I would instinctively be reminded of how people were going to make a joke of this movie because of it. Nothing bothers me more than people hating a genuinely good film for such a ridiculous reason. Of course, this is assuming the sequel is a good film to begin with.

Nah, wouldnt bother me at all. Its really just a matter of them being good in the roles IMO.
Although the Brokeback Bat jokes would be alot more plentiful then they are already:o

Boom said:
Good question. I've got no problem with the fact that they played gay lovers in a movie. It's just that BBM got so much controversy and publicity surrounding that fact that the movie blew out of proportion. That's the problem that Ledger now faces: the inevitable "gay Joker" and "Brokebat Mountain" jokes (which aren't really jokes at all, as they don't provoke laughter. Idiocy is a better term to use).

The reason this would bother me is because while trying to enjoy this movie, I would instinctively make the BBM connection, and I would instinctively be reminded of how people were going to make a joke of this movie because of it. Nothing bothers me more than people hating a genuinely good film for such a ridiculous reason. Of course, this is assuming the sequel is a good film to begin with.

I see where your coming from,it's more about how you will be reminded of the doubtlessley tacky crap that will be written prior to the movie everytime you see them together which in turn will take you out of the film ?

hunter rider said:
I see where your coming from,it's more about how you will be reminded of the doubtlessley tacky crap that will be written prior to the movie everytime you see them together which in turn will take you out of the film ?
That pretty much sums it up.

prsonally i wouldnt care, but i know id def get annoyed at all the "brokebat" comments.

Boom said:
That pretty much sums it up.
Well thanks for your view Boom,you can probably tell by my first post that i had a pretty tunnel vision view on this but your posts make me see another reason that it would bother someone outside homophobic crap:up:

Brokebat....

the GP wont let it down i'm sure of it.

I really dont think Brokeback Mountain would be all that big of a deal really if Gyllenhaal and Ledger were in a Batman movie - especially when Ledger is playing a sadistic killer and Gyllenhaal is playing the All-American D.A.

I actually don't think GYllenhall would take the role if he was offered knowing this. The man has already taken a serious beating because he got it on with another guy in movie. Plus, I don't even think he had a girlfriend at the time,which made things worse.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"