IF Marvel Got the Rights Back and Announced FF in 2020 . . .

Willie Lumpkin

Trophy Husband
Reaction score
Complete hypothetical of course, but since I believe most of us don't expect another FF film from either studio for a very long time, I'm curious how we, the fans, would actually feel if Marvel put one in the pipeline.

Do we need more time to recover and get over this abomination, or would we be ready to go with yet another attempt?

By the way, if Fox is going to keep the rights, they would have to release one by 2023 (which makes me feel Fox will never make another film, because there's no way I can see them collecting themselves and taking another try that soon after this complete disaster).

Last edited:
If Marvel got the rights back, I'm sure that they will introduce very quickly the 4 characters as guest in their allready planned movie, and then use the Sulver Surfer and the villains (Doom, Galactus, Kang) to their full potential (minus Doom, none of them are damaged) in the future movies.

Then they will increase their screen presence slowly to "build a demand" for a future movie, probably in 10 years (maybe sooner if they do a Namor movie). It's not perfect, but they will need time to recover from Trank's treatment.

If Marvel got the rights back, I'm sure that they will introduce very quickly the 4 characters as guest in their allready planned movie, and then use the Sulver Surfer and the villains (Doom, Galactus, Kang) to their full potential (minus Doom, none of them are damaged) in the future movies.

Then they will increase their screen presence slowly to "build a demand" for a future movie, probably in 10 years (maybe sooner if they do a Namor movie). It's not perfect, but they will need time to recover from Trank's treatment.

Yeah, while it seems like casual fans might be confused if Marvel just popped up with an FF film, I can imagine a college age Reed and Doom being introduced and maybe even the FF's origin mentioned or even shown in an Infinity Wars film, and then I think they could slide into a full FF film after establishing them in other films.

And even I would be reluctant to see another origin film - even if it's from Marvel. If they feel the need to do an origin, I hope they do it very briefly (as they did in FF #1).

I don't really want to see another film that treats the origin as the story.

I posted this elswehere but...

I'd have Fantastic Four movie set in the 60s and they have a fight with some monster and disappear. A young Hank Pym is then assigned to look for them leading to him discovering Pym particles as the FF are actually in the micro-verse. I'd have the micro-verse and the negative zone be one and the same.

In the present, I'd then have the nation of Latveria formed in the ruins of Sarkovia or whatever was destroyed in Age of Ultron. Victor von Doom is elected leader due to some lineage and goes to the USA on a diplomatic mission but the FF return from the microverse with the monster and the battle injures Doom who also gets pissed off that his mission to help the new Latveria is eclipsed in the media by the return of the FF. He goes home and makes a suit using Vanko's research (Whiplash's dad and the fella who helped create the arc reactor) promising to help the people of Latveria.

That'd be my basic setup, anyway.

That's the diference between Marvel and Sony/Fox, they will probably never do another origin story. After what Marvel did with the Hulk and what they will do with the next Spiderman movie, the pattern is clear : no origin retold for already presented characters.

I'd have Fantastic Four movie set in the 60s and they have a fight with some monster and disappear. A young Hank Pym is then assigned to look for them leading to him discovering Pym particles as the FF are actually in the micro-verse. I'd have the micro-verse and the negative zone be one and the same.

In the present, I'd then have the nation of Latveria formed in the ruins of Sarkovia or whatever was destroyed in Age of Ultron. Victor von Doom is elected leader due to some lineage and goes to the USA on a diplomatic mission but the FF return from the microverse with the monster and the battle injures Doom who also gets pissed off that his mission to help the new Latveria is eclipsed in the media by the return of the FF. He goes home and makes a suit using Vanko's research (Whiplash's dad and the fella who helped create the arc reactor) promising to help the people of Latveria.

This would be really good!

Well I don't want to wait another 8 years for another Fantastic Four film so that would be cool if we will see a new movie in 5 years.

I don't know about all the details, but I think it's very realistic that we could see a '60s setting with a connection to Pym and Peyton Reed could be involved.

Well the Fantastic Four in tone, would fit right in to the MCU, so introducing them in an upcoming Phase 3 film (like Black Panther or Avengers) would be very organic so the general public would just accept them very easily. Marvel is going to need more properties after Infinity War, so the solo film can be released once they've been established in the MCU.

Galactus can be the new threat after Thanos. The Fantastic Four can join, Captain Marvel 2, Spider-Man 2, Black Panther 2 or maybe even a Silver Surfer film (?) as part of Phase 4. I think either way, the next reboot of Spider-Man in 2017 will be a good way to measure how "soon" is "too soon" for the general audience.

I would love it if Marvel could adjust their schedule to fit a Fantastic Four movie if they had the right people and approach. Though I can't help but wonder if they could do something similar to the comics and litter the characters throughout the other Marvel movies and then bring them together for a FF film later.

Last edited:
I don't know about all the details, but I think it's very realistic that we could see a '60s setting with a connection to Pym and Peyton Reed could be involved.

Peyton Reed, the 1960s, the FF, young versions of Pym and Van Dyne, Peggy Carter, Howard Stark -

When do tickets go on sale?

Apparently now the argument is that Marvel has only good villain, so the rights shouldn't revert:

The same studio that can't seem to make a good villain outside of Loki???? I can't wait for them to get Doom...he'll crack jokes just like he does in the comics.

I love this.

Hank Pym + Fantastic Four? Would be great for the next 'Ant-Man' film (separate from Scott Lang) whilst also serving another purpose.

Imagine Peyton Reed at the helm. Doesn't have the best filmography but boy did he hit it out of the park with Ant-Man. ALSO, he worked on a Fantastic Four movie before Story came in and made his mess.

Apparently now the argument is that Marvel has only good villain, so the rights shouldn't revert:

I wouldn't put much stock in it. Some people will always post from the POV of hating certain studios or worshipping others blindly.

I love this.

Hank Pym + Fantastic Four? Would be great for the next 'Ant-Man' film (separate from Scott Lang) whilst also serving another purpose.

Imagine Peyton Reed at the helm. Doesn't have the best filmography but boy did he hit it out of the park with Ant-Man. ALSO, he worked on a Fantastic Four movie before Story came in and made his mess.

I was nervous about Reed when he was first attached to FF and then later with Ant-Man, but while he has traditionally done low-brow fare, he showed he can make a film like Ant-Man work. And I believe he has a passion for and understanding of the genre and I think that's key.

If I remember correctly I believe I had read that the FF film he had been working with was set in the 60's (I know at least some script at some time was).

So I wouldn't be surprised if he is behind the scenes trying to make something like this happen, and if it did, I would be all for it.

15 years ago, I wasn't thrilled with the idea of a 1960's FF, but I've become intrigued by the idea recently. If it was done with a semi-modern 'steam-punk' sort of feel that brought Kirby's world to life, I think that could be beyond cool.

It's just pie in the sky now, but a Peyton Reed directed 1960's FF film that could pair with a 1960's Ant-Man would get me pretty excited.

I just tweeted Peyton Reed to talk to Marvel and make this happen.

If anybody else wants to bug him to make it a movement, feel free.:cwink:

Yes, bring together the Knights of the Atomic Round Table, even earlier than 2020, please.

15 years ago, I wasn't thrilled with the idea of a 1960's FF, but I've become intrigued by the idea recently. If it was done with a semi-modern 'steam-punk' sort of feel that brought Kirby's world to life, I think that could be beyond cool.
The retro tech aesthetic has already been set up in Captain America. Think of Howard Stark's flying car - that's pure Silver Age Marvel.

Last edited:
Inhumans comes out in 2019 so 2020-2021 FF could work. Maybe have them cameo in the Inhumans first.

Inhumans comes out in 2019 so 2020-2021 FF could work. Maybe have them cameo in the Inhumans first.

Yeah for Marvel to rehabilitate FF they would need to be in other movies first. You could add the baxter building and then have some situation where heroes needed help from future foundation or something like that. Plenty of ways to work them into other movies so they can do another "solo" movie.

The only fantastic four reboot I'd support after this is one made by Marvel Studios.

Fox has dropped the ball far too many times. They're doing cool stuff with X-Men and Deadpool, but they just don't get the F4 at all.

A 60's setting was my first thought for a Marvel reboot. I'd be down for that. I like how Agent Carter is filling gaps in MCU history, and the Fantastic Four would be another way to do that.

If it means a good faithful adaptation of the FF, and Doom in his rightful place. Then bring it on!

I would love a period piece in the 60s. Maybe they can even run into 60s Ant-Man and Wasp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
japanorsomewher
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"