BvS If Snyder had Clark end up with a woman other than Lois, would fans freak out?

I never once thought of Lois needing to die if they don't end up together. It's not necessary at all. I also think I SEE SPIDEY who abandoned this thread out of frustration :( made an interesting point about women being killed off in such movies. I never thought of that at all. What if this Lois functioned dually as Lana in a way? By that, knowing his secret and being the closest friend even if their relationship was too complicated to work out. I'm thinking they will stick to Lois and Clark as a couple by the end of the series, but Snyder may toy with a triangle or two at some point. :o

I never once thought of Lois needing to die if they don't end up together. It's not necessary at all. I also think I SEE SPIDEY who abandoned this thread out of frustration :( made an interesting point about women being killed off in such movies. I never thought of that at all. What if this Lois functioned dually as Lana in a way? By that, knowing his secret and being the closest friend even if their relationship was too complicated to work out. I'm thinking they will stick to Lois and Clark as a couple by the end of the series, but Snyder may toy with a triangle or two at some point. :o

Because that's a cop out and devalues one of the most important female figures in comics

Lois Lane and Superman were created as a pair 76 years ago. Lois is one of the only female characters in comics history literally created from issue #1 to be a foil and potential partner. While other love interests across the landscape were additions or afterthoughts, this is a rare woman character who legitimately was part of the design and landscape of Superman from the ground up. To imply it's "too much" or "too complicated" to handle devalues her strength, her resolve and her will and passion. Lois Lane is not Lana Lang. It's not too much for her. She will fight till the end.

There is a lot of sexism that surrounds trying to get Lois out of the way as the love interest. A lot. She's not a typical sexy girl in a sexy male gaze costume (though she's obviously very attractive) and that's part of it. She's also been subjected to decades of crap in an industry that hasn't always done right by women and yet she's endured.

The bottom line is that Superman's love for Lois Lane--- for a human committed to finding the truth---for a human who reached out her hand and wasn't afraid of him when she had every right to be---is a building block of this story and it's a role that she's earned.

There is a very bad habit in culture (bc it's often told from male POV) to treat love interests as interchangeable and to assume that men have to play the field. So here we have a superhero who, consistently, for 76 years has come back again and again to the same woman. He's been married to her multiple times. She has transcended what we, as women, are usually told ANC usually get in these stories. She's become a hero in her own right and a great example of the way in which women devoted to their jobs can also be worthy of great love as opposed to the cold, sexless "you have to choose between career and family" message that women have been getting repeatedly for decades and is still very real.

The most powerful man in the world breaks all stereotypes about what women "should" be and falls in love with an aggressive career woman who doesn't wear a sexy outfit or pout for the camera. And she doesn't always say the right thing. But she tries really hard. And that's amazing. It's amazing. And yet...you get these men who just can't wait to kill her off or push her aside or carefully (bc hey even they know that fridging is wrong) replace her with someone else. And then you wonder why there are women here who need to excuse themselves from the thread bc they can't handle the disgust.

Lois Lane is in the DNA of Superman. Lois Lane and Superman's love for each other---the messy, human, perfectly imperfect---love they have for each other is in the DNA of Superman. It's one of the ::only:: male driven hero properties to have that kind of consistent driving force. Devaluing it or assuming it's something easily replaced is problematic as hell. And it Pisses. Me. Off.

(P.S. Kingdom Come is set in a reality where Lois and Clark were married for YEARS and the only reason Superman winds up with WW is bc his wife is dead. Mark Waid has spoken at length about his feelings on this. He has clarified repeatedly that the story was a "cautionary tale" and not a "how to" guide. He's also clarified that KC still upholds that Lois was the love of Superman's life. He's also commented that he's not sure in retrospect that the SM/WW works "long term." KC is a very specific story that worked only under very specific circumstances---the murder of Superman's true love. Which is a tired plot and not one I need to see for yet another woman.

As for the new 52? Let's put aside how ragingly disrespectful the entire thing is to the legacy of WW who was created with her own supporting cast and love interests that no one ever ::sees:: bc DC is so sexist. The reason that Superman turned to WW in the new 52 was bc he didn't feel he could burden Lois with his secret. He wanted her. He loved her. He pushed her away bc he feared burdening her. It was a stupid,forced roadblock designed only to get Lois out of the way undercut by decades of narratives proving that Lois has the right to decide for herself her own life choices. However, given that Lois already knows that Clark and Superman are one and the same in the Man of Steel universe and has already had the opportunity to prove that she accepts him completely, this forced reason has no relevance to this film franchise. If falls apart.

You know what would be new and novel? If, for once, a relationship could be allowed to progress and last without being subjected to this crap. What if the woman who appeared in Action #1 beside Superman and the love story that started it all in comics was treated with the dignity it deserved and preserved and respected? Bc that? Would make me respect this director and this franchise. Lois Lane has earned that much. :: They:: have earned it.

Last edited:
I said I wouldn't be back in this thread I lied. Sue me!

Because that's a cop out and devalues one of the most important female figures in comics

Lois Lane and Superman were created as a pair 76 years ago. Lois is one of the only female characters in comics history literally created from issue #1 to be a foil and potential partner. While other love interests across the landscape were additions or afterthoughts, this is a rare woman character who legitimately was part of the design and landscape of Superman from the ground up.

There is a lot of sexism that surrounds trying to get Lois out of the way as the love interest. A lot. She's not a typical sexy girl in a sexy male gaze costume (though she's obviously very attractive) and that's part of it. She's also been subjected to decades of crap in an industry that hasn't always done right by women and yet she's endured.

The bottom line is that Superman's love for Lois Lane--- for a human committed to finding the truth---for a human who reached out her hand and wasn't afraid of him when she had every right to be---is a building block of this story and it's a role that she's earned.

There is a very bad habit in culture (bc it's often told from male POV) to treat love interests as interchangeable and to assume that men have to play the field. So here we have a superhero who, consistently, for 76 years has come back again and again to the same woman. He's been married to her multiple times. She has transcended what we, as women, are usually told ANC usually get in these stories. She's become a hero in her own right and a great example of the way in which women devoted to their jobs can also be worthy of great love as opposed to the cold, sexless "you have to choose between career and family" message that women have been getting repeatedly for decades and is still very real.

The most powerful man in the world breaks all stereotypes about what women "should" be and falls in love with an aggressive career woman who doesn't wear a sexy outfit or pout for the camera. And she doesn't always say the right thing. But she tries really hard. And that's amazing. It's amazing. And yet...you get these men who just can't wait to kill her off or push her aside or carefully (bc hey even they know that fridging is wrong) replace her with someone else. And then you wonder why there are women here who need to excuse themselves from the thread bc they can't handle the disgust.

Lois Lane is in the DNA of Superman. Lois Lane and Superman's love for each other---the messy, human, perfectly imperfect---love they have for each other is in the DNA of Superman. It's one of the ::only:: male driven hero properties to have that kind of consistent driving force. Devaluing it or assuming it's something easily replaced is problematic as hell. And it Pisses. Me. Off.

(P.S. Kingdom Come is set in a reality where Lois and Clark were married for YEARS and the only reason Superman winds up with WW is bc his wife is dead. Mark Waid has spoken at length about his feelings on this. He has clarified repeatedly that the story was a "cautionary tale" and not a "how to" guide. He's also clarified that KC still upholds that Lois was the love of Superman's life. He's also commented that he's not sure in retrospect that he doesn't think the SM/WW works "long term." KC is a very specific story that worked only under very specific circumstances---the murder of Superman's true love. Which is a tired plot and not one I need to see for yet another woman.

As for the new 52? Let's put aside how ragingly disrespectful the entire thing is to the legacy of WW who was created with her own supporting cast and love interests that no one ever ::sees:: bc DC is so sexist. The reason that Superman turned to WW in the new 52 was bc he didn't feel he could burden Lois with his secret. He wanted her. He loved her. He pushed her away bc he feared burdening her. It was a stupid,forced roadblock designed only to get Lois out of the way undercut by decades of narratives proving that Lois has the right to decide for herself her own life choices. However, given that Lois already knows that Clark and Superman are one and the same in the Man of Steel universe and has already had the opportunity to prove that she accepts him completely, this forced reason has no relevance to this film franchise. If falls apart.

You know what would be new and novel? If, for once, a relationship could be allowed to progress and last without being subjected to this crap. What if the woman who appeared in Action #1 beside Superman and the love story that started it all in comics was treated with the dignity it deserved and preserved and respected? Bc that? Would make me respect this director and this franchise. Lois Lane has earned that much. :: They:: have earned it.

Fantastic post as always regarding Lois Lane, Audrey you really should be around these parts' more often to counter some of the crap that get's peddled against this great character. There's not many who actively back her up.

Yeah I'd freak out. Clark should never end up with anyone but Lois. I think Clark and Diana should have a strong friendship and should have a trust in each other to work alongside each other, but no, Lois is the woman for Clark.

Since this new comic just dropped, I would love to see Superman and Catwoman as a thing. That would be my fav comic couple by far. It will never happen though.

Superman and Catwoman...that'd be funny.

Would be hilarious. Hes noble, shes decieving. Hes a hero, shes anti. I think they could compliment eachother perfectly. Would make interesting situations and stories. ..and they just look good together. imo lol.

If they are portrayed more interestingly than Lois in MOS, then I'm all for it.

tumblr_nb6su6jywj1sv9k5oo1_250.gif
tumblr_nb6su6jywj1sv9k5oo2_250.gif

tumblr_nb6su6jywj1sv9k5oo3_250.gif
tumblr_nb6su6jywj1sv9k5oo4_250.gif

Out of all of the comic book films that I've seen (or can recall) where one of (if not the) final moment(s) of the film featured a scene between the main pairing, "Man of Steel" definitely takes the list of having my most favorite one.

It's definitely not as depressing as the "Gwen's Speech" from "The Amazing Spider-Man 2".

Nor is it bland like "Batman is just a symbol Rachel" from "Batman Begins".

If any final scene, involving a comic book couple, comes close to this one then it would definitely be the one from "The Dark Knight Rises" where we see Bruce and Selina together in Venice.

They don't have to kill Lois for Clark to be with another woman, maybe just have her fitted with a kryptonite suit that she can never take off that also gives her super powers, Clark will never be able to get close to her. Effectively ending any kind of intimate relationship. I think that would work.

Points for originality.

They don't have to kill Lois for Clark to be with another woman, maybe just have her fitted with a kryptonite suit that she can never take off that also gives her super powers, Clark will never be able to get close to her. Effectively ending any kind of intimate relationship. I think that would work.

Points for originality.

watching_avengers_i_understood_a_gif_reference-88347.gif

Really wish I didn't though, brings back bad memories.

I understood that reference too. I think it's a great ending for Lana and I think it should be used again! :p.

I thought it was a horrible ending for a character who should've been either switched to just a friend or removed from the show entirely several seasons earlier.

Points for originality.

Not-Sure-If-Fry-Meme-Gif.gif

tumblr_nb6su6jywj1sv9k5oo1_250.gif
tumblr_nb6su6jywj1sv9k5oo2_250.gif

tumblr_nb6su6jywj1sv9k5oo3_250.gif
tumblr_nb6su6jywj1sv9k5oo4_250.gif

Out of all of the comic book films that I've seen (or can recall) where one of (if not the) final moment(s) of the film featured a scene between the main pairing, "Man of Steel" definitely takes the list of having my most favorite one.

It's definitely not as depressing as the "Gwen's Speech" from "The Amazing Spider-Man 2".

If any final scene, involving a comic book couple, comes close to this one then it would definitely be the one from "The Dark Knight Rises" where we see Bruce and Selina together in Venice.

MOS's ending was magic. Cavill's smile, that dialogue with double meaning, the slow build of heroic music...perfection (albeit awkwardly juxtaposed next to the tragic final fight).

I do think DOFP's ending gives it a run for its money though. That was both hopeful and surreal.

For the time being, my hope is that Henry and Amy continue to portray these characters for as long as possible, so that when the time comes for them to finally exit the roles, they'll do so "together".

I personally hate it whenever one-half of any major pairing (romantic or not) is replaced after having spent so many films getting audiences and fans alike invested in that given incarnation.

Example, for as bad as "The Mummy 3" was, it would have made things a lot better if Rachel Weisz had returned to the role one final time since it didn't feel like I was watching the same character that I had seen in the last two Mummy films and it just didn't feel as right when it came to the character's interactions with Brenden Fraser's character.

What was so bland about the BB one? I thought it was great. It was a bittersweet moment where they realize they can't be together because Bruce never returned. And now Batman had taken over.

What was so bland about the BB one? I thought it was great. It was a bittersweet moment where they realize they can't be together because Bruce never returned. And now Batman had taken over.

Because Katie can't really act and had zero chemistry with Christian.

Points for originality.

I really hated that arc. :funny:

I wouldnt mind if Clark ended up with someone other than Lois.

I liked that they ultimately didn't end up together in the Donner films.

Also, we already got the "Clark and Lois marry" happy ending in both Lois and Clark and Smallville, so I'd like to see a more unconventional ending to their romance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"