• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

If Stanley Kubrick directed a superhero movie..

ShadowBoxing

Avenger
Reaction score
What would he choose? What would you want him to do?

It occured to me watching Clockwork Orange tonight that if Stanley Kubrick had any one thing that could be is the same about his films is how thoroughly different everyone is. True, you know a Stanley Kubrick film when you watch one...but he wasn't one to limit himself to a certain type of film. Horror, Sci-fi, love stories, dramas, thrillers. He touched upon many many genre's in his career, moreso than most.

They all kinda have this Kubrick style...so I began wondering (now watching the Shinning), in the age of the superhero genre...what would he have done? or what could/should he have done?

Some things to think about is: whatever you get wouldn't be a shavish retelling I'd imagine. Kubrick would probably change it in some way. It would be good. Kubrick's films also all seem to make statements about various issues and comment on humanity and society...so if a comic already does this, more the better.

I could see him, personally, doing Silver Surfer, but I think I only say that being a fan of Space Odyssey: 2001.

I remember I use to frequant the comics2film board and this was while ff1 was being filmed there was a thread about directors you thought would make a good ff flick and i said "even though he's dead Kubrick prolly would" then of course was promptly told "kubrick would never touch a movie based on a comic book" (y'know cuz messege board nerds are just TOTAL losers...god I hate them).

V for Vendetta. It's already very Kubrick-esque, and especially Clockwork Orange-esque.

I remember I use to frequant the comics2film board and this was while ff1 was being filmed there was a thread about directors you thought would make a good ff flick and i said "even though he's dead Kubrick prolly would" then of course was promptly told "kubrick would never touch a movie based on a comic book" (y'know cuz messege board nerds are just TOTAL losers...god I hate them).
Yeah, I feel ya'...no imagination.

I'm not so sure he would or wouldn't. With most of his movies it seemed to me he took a popular genre or style at the time and did something unique with it. So, maybe he would've done a superhero movie. It probably wouldn't have been wall to wall action, but it certainly could've been cool.

Love Kubrick, did a term English project on him my first year in college.

I think he would have a pretty interesting take on darker characters like Batman, Daredevil or Punisher. I would love to see him render Batman in his 3 movement style ala Full Metal Jacket. It would be epic, all of Batman Begins could fit into the first 2 sections of a Kubrick film leaving the third for even more development.

V for Vendetta. It's already very Kubrick-esque, and especially Clockwork Orange-esque.
The thing is, V is a terrorist, not a superhero. The title of the thread implies a superhero.
So Kubrick with a comic book is more likely than a superhero movie...I don't see him trying to redeem a Superman movie or things like that... it's just not nuanced enough

Watchmen or V seem most likely to me...a Kubrick Batman movie would have been incredible though...

The Preacher
Dr. Strange

Best of all:

Transmetropolitan_2.jpg

Transmetropolitan

quite stlyish, I don't know this comic book, but just at looks, it would be interesting to see in a Kubrick way

I think it's safe to say all the abstract weirdy type graphic novels with existential tones would have been his thing.

Just to throw one out of left field, I'll say Kid Eternity. Maybe Moonshadow? The Maxx? Ragmop?

Watchmen, V For V and Transmet are the best I can think of though.

The thing is, V is a terrorist, not a superhero. The title of the thread implies a superhero.

He could be seen as either, and that's exactly Kubrick's bag. V is like Kubrick's idea of a superhero. He is very similar to Batman, but also to Alex DeLange. Morally questionable, edges of society, sanity debatable, highly intelligent, main persuit is beating the crap out of people - with gusto. Thinks his actions are completely justified while others are horrified.

I would have liked to see him do The Question

When I saw the title of this thread thats the first thing I thought of. Some already mentioned the Preacher who would work too.

In that same vain, Hellblazer would be pretty cool.

He could have made an amazing Swamp Thing or Deadman movie.

I always thought Kubrick could have made an awesome V FOR VENDETTA, though that film's superhero credentials are questionable.

So as far as straight-superhero stuff... maybe WATCHMEN?

If he made a superhero movie he'd have to "reinvent the form"...

I could see him making up his own story or something and not picking one based off of a comic book, even though he was largely dependent on novels and such for his screenplays.

All I know is that it would take a lot of convincing to get him to do it. After all he didn't even want to do a science fiction film at first because the genre was beneath him. And then he made 2001...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"