If Star Wars had been made today...

Punisher_MAX

Ol' Painless
Reaction score
I know this is sacrilege but humor me as i am bored and ive always found this fun, I've had people talk about remaking Star Wars one day or even had random musings of who would play what character had it been made today...who would you pick to play what character?

only ones i could think of off the bat would be:

Han Solo- Chris Pine
Luke Skywalker- Joseph Gordon Levitt
Princess Leia- Hayley Atwell
Darth Vader (Voice)- Sam Jackson
C3PO (Voice)- Tom Hiddleston
Obi Wan- Viggo Mortensen
Lando Calrissian- Will Smith

who would you choose? crucify me later.

No offense, but your cast is....well....pretty bad. :funny

Luke Skywalker - Unknown, just like Hamill.

Han Solo - Nathan Fillion

Princess Leia - Anna Kendrick

Darth Vader (Voice) - Why not James Earl Jones? It is voice acting. Jackson? Really? Jackson's voice is basically the opposite of Vader. It is rough and loud. Vader's is deep but calm and composed. If not Jones, maybe Jeremy Irons.

C3PO - Again Tom Hiddleston? What part of his voice is even remotely like 3PO? Michael Sheen could probably do it, if you insist upon recasting, but no reason not to just go with Daniels, IMO.

Ben Kenobi - Viggo is probably too young. Guiness was nearing 70 when he played the role. Viggo is barely over 50. I'd say Peter O'Toole would be tremendous in the role though he is getting rather old and isn't in the greatest of health so alternatively, John Hurt

Lando Calrissian - Really? Will Smith? Lando is smooth, sophisticated and unflappable. Will Smith's characters tend to be the exact opposite, either incredibly intense or loud and obnoxious. I'd say someone like Omar Epps fits the role far better.

Also, you left off two important characters:

Grand Moff Tarkin - Alan Rickman, perhaps.

The Emperor - Ian McKellan

And THAT is how you cast a Star Wars remake....Chris Pine, Sam Jackson, and Will Smith...good lord. :(

It would be written to more of a parable of War on Terror then in Vietnam when Lucas wrote the original. I think the plot of a small rebel band defeating a giant power sounds a lot like Al-Qaeda and insurgents in Iraq and other places have done, and probably would not be popular. A different conflict and protagonist would be different.

No offense, but your cast is....well....pretty bad. :funny

Luke Skywalker - Unknown, just like Hamill.

Han Solo - Nathan Fillion

Princess Leia - Anna Kendrick

Darth Vader (Voice) - Why not James Earl Jones? It is voice acting. Jackson? Really? Jackson's voice is basically the opposite of Vader. It is rough and loud. Vader's is deep but calm and composed. If not Jones, maybe Jeremy Irons.

C3PO - Again Tom Hiddleston? What part of his voice is even remotely like 3PO? Michael Sheen could probably do it, if you insist upon recasting, but no reason not to just go with Daniels, IMO.

Ben Kenobi - Viggo is probably too young. Guiness was nearing 70 when he played the role. Viggo is barely over 50. I'd say Peter O'Toole would be tremendous in the role though he is getting rather old and isn't in the greatest of health so alternatively, John Hurt

Lando Calrissian - Really? Will Smith? Lando is smooth, sophisticated and unflappable. Will Smith's characters tend to be the exact opposite, either incredibly intense or loud and obnoxious. I'd say someone like Omar Epps fits the role far better.

Also, you left off two important characters:

Grand Moff Tarkin - Alan Rickman, perhaps.

The Emperor - Ian McKellan

And THAT is how you cast a Star Wars remake....Chris Pine, Sam Jackson, and Will Smith...good lord. :(

-Chris Pine is a good actor and has that rugged appeal that Solo brought.

-Sam Jackson when he isn't being loud and obnoxious can actually sound menacing but i'd still keep Jones.

-Will Smith is a fine actor and can play suave/serious just as good. Believe it or not he can act...

as for Takin and the Emperor...yeah those wouldve been my choices.

I'm sure Obi Wan, according to the Trilogies and what I feel is an appropriate age based on it, should be around 50-60...and Viggo looks just about right.

-I just like how Hiddleston speaks and if we're going to recast it I feel he'd do well.

It is sacrilege. We shouldn't even be having this discussion, shame on all of you.

And besides, Chris Pine is Captain Kirk now. :awesome:

PunisherMAX said:
-Chris Pine is a good actor and has that rugged appeal that Solo brought.

-Sam Jackson when he isn't being loud and obnoxious can actually sound menacing but i'd still keep Jones.

-Will Smith is a fine actor and can play suave/serious just as good. Believe it or not he can act...

as for Takin and the Emperor...yeah those wouldve been my choices.

I'm sure Obi Wan, according to the Trilogies and what I feel is an appropriate age based on it, should be around 50-60...and Viggo looks just about right.

-I just like how Hiddleston speaks and if we're going to recast it I feel he'd do well.

Pine is a fine actor, a Han Solo he is not. And I do not deny that Will Smith is a good actor, but he is still a terrible choice for Lando, same with Jackson. It is like you cast the first two black guys who came to mind. :( As for Hiddleston and Viggo, it just seems like you cast two trendy fanboy actors without really considering if they fit the part.

I would've put Don Cheadle as Lando, but he's already Captain Planet :woot:

EDIT: Captain Planet, ************!

It is sacrilege. We shouldn't even be having this discussion, shame on all of you.

No harm in playing "what if." Now if someone actually says that they SHOULD be remade...yeah, that is sacrilege. That being said, Star Wars will be remade eventually. Lucas' children will eventually blow throw their inheiritence, get greedy and sell the rights. And that is assuming Lucas doesn't remake them himself. Lucas stopped being a filmmaker and started being a businessman a long time ago (in a galaxy far away). Within his life time, he will either make sequels or remakes. It is really just a question of which one he sees as more profitable. Maybe he'll do both. Make sequels and then use the new cast to remake the OT?

And besides, Chris Pine is Captain Kirk now. :awesome:

And a damn fine Kirk he is. :up:

Well, sir. It's a good thing you did not post this question on the Star Wars thread, otherwise even if it's wishful thinking, recasting the original characters is like committing a sin.

Since it's safe to talk about this sort of stuff, a "what if" scenario, I guess I could lend you my picks.

Hunter Parrish as Luke Skywalker

hunter-parrish.jpg

Mary Elizabeth Winstead as Princess Leia Organa

spike.jpg

Matthew Davis as Han Solo

70691.jpg

James McAvoy as Wedge Antilles

James-McAvoy.jpg

Chiwetel Ejiofor as Lando Calrissian

41325_124672017581637_111203932261779_125641_4104476_n.jpg

James Frain as Admiral Firmus Piett

92011.jpg

Bill Nighy as Grand Moff Wilhuff Tarkin

11868357_gal.jpg

Michael Caine as Obi-Wan "Ben" Kenobi

sir_michael_caine_photo.jpg

THE REST:

Darth Vader (voice of James Earl Jones)
C-3PO (Anthony Daniels),
R2-D2 (Kenny Baker),
Emperor Palpatine (Ian McDiarmid),
Boba Fett (Temuera Morrison, yeah he's cool, just develop his character further.)

These stay the same.

"Develop Fett's character further." That is the one thing Lucas and Star Wars fans have never gotten. Less is more! Sure, everyone thinks it would be great to see Vader's days as a Jedi Knight, or the mysterious Clone Wars or Boba Fett's early years....then Lucas actually makes them and it is a pansy rolling around in a bed of flowers, 2 hours of political debates with a couple action scenes cut in and an off-putting, whiney kid. You'd think if there is any lesson that the fandom has learned by this point it would be, be careful of what you wish for! Nothing Lucas gives you can be cooler than what is in your head. The mystique is what makes it fun.

"Develop Fett's character further." That is the one thing Lucas and Star Wars fans have never gotten. Less is more! Sure, everyone thinks it would be great to see Vader's days as a Jedi Knight, or the mysterious Clone Wars or Boba Fett's early years....then Lucas actually makes them and it is a pansy rolling around in a bed of flowers, 2 hours of political debates with a couple action scenes cut in and an off-putting, whiney kid. You'd think if there is any lesson that the fandom has learned by this point it would be, be careful of what you wish for! Nothing Lucas gives you can be cooler than what is in your head. The mystique is what makes it fun.

OK. Sorry if i offended you. I thought character development was a good thing.

Oh, BTW, IF Star Wars was made today, I'd like to see Joss Whedon at the director's seat.

OK. Sorry if i offended you. I thought character development was a good thing.

Not always. Some character types are better left undeveloped. Do you really want a Die Hard prequel where we learn the tragic backstory of Hans Gruber as an oppressed boy in East Germany who was forced to work in the sweat shops, stand in line for food and swore revenge on the greedy corporations who exploited him?

Hannibal LEcter is a perfect example. The more sequels and prequels we got, the more we learned and it destroyed the character. With some characters, things are better left to the imagination.

I think my mother would appreciate more of Boba Fett. Let me explain...

I was 5 when Kenner had the offer to get the new Boba Fett action figure iin the mail. I was such a little SW nut at the time that my mom helped me cut out the Kenner logos off of the action figure cards that we had to send in so I could get this Boba Fett action figure.

Empire Strikes Back wasn't coming out until the following summer, so when they did this whole promo and I had the action figure months before the movie came out, my mom assumed that Boba Fett was some major character in the next movie.

Then we saw the movie (I was 6 by then) and I thought Boba Fett was awesome...but my mom never got over how we had sent away for an action figure of a character who was barely in the movie for 10 minutes.

Seriously...it's been 31 years, and my mother still refers to Boba Fett as "George Lucas's practical joke on every mother in America." :argh: :funny:

Luke Skywalker - Unknown. I agree with Matt

Han Solo - Josh Holloway.

Princess Leia - Allison Brie

Darth Vader (Voice) - I honestly think James Earl Jones would be cast. Maybe Terrence Stamp

C3PO - Jim Parsons.

Ben Kenobi - Terry O'Quinn. He's 59 and you can tell he could have been a Jedi.

Lando Calrissian - Dule Hill.

Grand Moff Tarkin- Willem Dafoe.

The Emperor - Ian McKellan. Matt's right again.

Yoda- Andy Serkis.

If it were made today and not helmed by Lucas it probably lose a lot of its campy charm.

Wee Man?! Lol, can that guy even act?

No harm in playing "what if." Now if someone actually says that they SHOULD be remade...yeah, that is sacrilege. That being said, Star Wars will be remade eventually. Lucas' children will eventually blow throw their inheiritence, get greedy and sell the rights. And that is assuming Lucas doesn't remake them himself. Lucas stopped being a filmmaker and started being a businessman a long time ago (in a galaxy far away). Within his life time, he will either make sequels or remakes. It is really just a question of which one he sees as more profitable. Maybe he'll do both. Make sequels and then use the new cast to remake the OT?

And a damn fine Kirk he is. :up:

I think Lucas is already doing a remake of his own films , piece by piece. I'm hoping for a sequel though , there's so much potential. Something in the same universe but with different characters.

If Star Wars was made today, there'd be only one story. Luke wanting revenge on Darth Vader for killing his father, and two and a half hours of epic fighting! The End!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"