If Star Wars had been made today...

If Star Wars was made today, there'd be only one story. Luke wanting revenge on Darth Vader for killing his father, and two and a half hours of epic fighting! The End!

And they would all be CGI rendered in front of a blue screen using tennis balls on sticks. It would cost $56 million dollars. Get 50 video game spin off's. And John Williams would die again.

For ANH:

Luke - Anton Yelchin
Leia - Emma Stone
Han - Hugh Jackman
Threepio - Doug Jones
Chewie - CG with Andy Serkis doing performance-capture
Obi-Wan - Gary Oldman
Darth Vader - voiced by Jeffrey Wright
Tarkin - Ben Kingsley

I think my mother would appreciate more of Boba Fett. Let me explain...

I was 5 when Kenner had the offer to get the new Boba Fett action figure iin the mail. I was such a little SW nut at the time that my mom helped me cut out the Kenner logos off of the action figure cards that we had to send in so I could get this Boba Fett action figure.

Empire Strikes Back wasn't coming out until the following summer, so when they did this whole promo and I had the action figure months before the movie came out, my mom assumed that Boba Fett was some major character in the next movie.

Then we saw the movie (I was 6 by then) and I thought Boba Fett was awesome...but my mom never got over how we had sent away for an action figure of a character who was barely in the movie for 10 minutes.

Seriously...it's been 31 years, and my mother still refers to Boba Fett as "George Lucas's practical joke on every mother in America." :argh: :funny:

:lmao: That is a great story. :up:

Luke Skywalker - Unknown. I agree with Matt

Han Solo - Josh Holloway.

Princess Leia - Allison Brie

Darth Vader (Voice) - I honestly think James Earl Jones would be cast. Maybe Terrence Stamp

C3PO - Jim Parsons.

Ben Kenobi - Terry O'Quinn. He's 59 and you can tell he could have been a Jedi.

Lando Calrissian - Dule Hill.

Grand Moff Tarkin- Willem Dafoe.

The Emperor - Ian McKellan. Matt's right again.

Yoda- Andy Serkis.

I like a lot of your cast. Dule Hill would make a great Lando. Though to be honest, I'd take Nathan Fillion over Holloway. Jim Parsons just annoys me. As for Terry O'Quinn, I love the guy but like you said, you can tell he could've been a Jedi. What's great about Ben Kenobi is that he looks like a harmless, unassuming old man....then he slices Ponda Baba's arm off. Sadly that turned out to be the most unfortunate misunderstanding of all time:

I think Lucas is already doing a remake of his own films , piece by piece. I'm hoping for a sequel though , there's so much potential. Something in the same universe but with different characters.

Very true. Though eventually I think he will just do a full on remake. Though I wonder how far off we are from CGI Chewie and Ackbar?

And they would all be CGI rendered in front of a blue screen using tennis balls on sticks. It would cost $56 million dollars. Get 50 video game spin off's. And John Williams would die again.
So true it has to be said again.

Lucas seems less interested in characters and story than he is creating a Star Wars version of Final Fantasy Spirits Within coupled with the Michael Bay school of acting and story writing.

Seriously...it's been 31 years, and my mother still refers to Boba Fett as "George Lucas's practical joke on every mother in America." :argh: :funny:

When I was a kid my dad had a really cool 12 inch Boba Fett figure and I'd play with it thinking he was the most awesome one. Eh , he's still a badass and that figure probably goes for a ton on ebay.

Very true. Though eventually I think he will just do a full on remake. Though I wonder how far off we are from CGI Chewie and Ackbar?

Well there's the 3D Star Wars on the horizon. I was watching some of ESB last night and the thought of Lucas cgi-ing Yoda entered my mind.

Ugh. It is inevitable, I think. :(

Michael Stahl-David - Luke Skywalker

600fullmichaelstahldavi.jpg

I really like this guy. I can totally see him going from Naive Farm-Boy Luke to Jedi Warrior Luke.

Idris Elba - Han Solo

luthers1idriselba001390.jpg

Elba would make a ****ing awesome Han Solo. The charm, the swagger, he's got it all.

Jaimie Alexander - Princess Leia

jaimiealexanderthorprem.jpg

Based on Thor, she seems to have the right amount of attitude and spunk for Leia.

Chow Yun-Fat - Obi-Wan Kenobi

chow2byunfat.jpg

I love the idea of the jedi being a Kurosawa-esque order of samurai. Now Yun Fat's not Toshiro Mifune, but he's as close as we got.

Dennis Haysbert - Darth Vader

dennishaysbert2403.jpg

Nothing to say, expect maybe how great this would be.

Other Casting -
Colm Feore - Grand Moff Tarkin
Dominic West - Lando Calrissian
(McNulty and Stringer Bell reunited!)
Toby Jones - Yoda
Danny Trejo - Boba Fett
Ray Winstone - Uncle Owen
Dr. Zoidberg - Admiral Ackbar

Idris Elba - Han Solo

luthers1idriselba001390.jpg

Elba would make a ****ing awesome Han Solo. The charm, the swagger, he's got it all.

Eh, he's missing one very important component, he needs to be funny as well. Not once did that guy make me laugh in the Wire, and with that kind of role, he certainly could have played with some humour in there.
I don't think it's one of his skills.

I thought the suggestion of Josh Holloway as Han Solo was a good one.

Eh, he's missing one very important component, he needs to be funny as well. Not once did that guy make me laugh in the Wire, and with that kind of role, he certainly could have played with some humour in there.
I don't think it's one of his skills.

I thought the suggestion of Josh Holloway as Han Solo was a good one.
I thought he was pretty funny in RockNRolla.

Jaimie Alexander - Princess Leia

jaimiealexanderthorprem.jpg

Based on Thor, she seems to have the right amount of attitude and spunk for Leia.

Ok , now we're talking. I'd love to see her in that get -up.

Not a bad idea, but I couldn't take him seriously. The Lord of the Sith should not be selling me insurance.

I guess you must be referring to some tv ad he did right?
Yeah, I used to hate it when I saw a good successful actor do tv ads, it was that Bill Hicks bit he did that made me more aware and pissed off about that, haha, when he goes on about them becoming 'barters' or whatever, as opposed to artists.
The no sell out punk in me can agree to an extent. I was pissed when Sawyer started doing those aftershave ads that were remini'scent'(!) of Lost, and ranted about that on the net back in the day, saying how it now cheapened the effect of his presence on Lost as the free-booting wild man.

But, y'know, you can re-align your perceptions and forget about the ads, if the actor and material is good enough.

See, a good performer can always be serious, anyone can be serious, not everyone can be funny, that is a problem for that Han Solo casting i was talking about, that means he's not right for the role, as in, he couldn't actually give the audience the kind of enjoyment they need and expect from that role, cause there is a pivotal skill he lacks, which cannot be learned.

Last edited:
I thought he was pretty funny in RockNRolla.

Haven't seen it, I mean, anyone can crack a couple of jokes y'know, but I'm guessing he doesn't have it in the way that role requires, because look at his role in the Wire, the leader of the gangs, always talking up the troops, and not once does he slip in any humour into that role. I can't see him being good enough in that regard for the role of Han Solo, that requires extra special skills in that regard, just like with Ford and Indy Jones.

edit: I'm guessing you didn't equate humour with him at all, until I brought it up, as you didn't type up that component in your Han Solo casting, when you said what he could bring to the role. Which is, y'know, a main pillar of the required skills for the role i should think.

Last edited:
I guess you must be referring to some tv ad he did right?

Lol, you're right, but it's not just any ad, it's his ads for AllState that I see almost every day, and it's the only thing I've seen him in lately. That's bound to impact my perceptions.

Director: Gore Verbinsky (sp?)
Composer: Trent Reznor
Writers: George Lucas, Gore Verbinsky and Drew Karpyshyn

Cast (ANH)
Luke Skywalker: Charlie Hunnam
Han Solo: Bradley Cooper
Chewie: CGI
Leia Organa: Jordana Brewster
Obi Wan: Gary Oldman
Vader: Tim Robbins (Voice can be Modified to a deeper tone)
Emperor: Bill Nighy
Tarkin: David Strathairn
R2D2: CGI
C3P0: CGI w/ David Hyde Pierce providing the voice

C3P0: CGI w/ David Hyde Pierce providing the voice

That is a really good one.

I don't know about a ChewGIe though, they looked fine in quick group shots in ROTS, but i think it's better to have an actor in a suit, although in saying that, in years to come, they could probably do a 100% convincing wookie, with a mo-cap actor. But still hell, Chewie looks 100% real to me, i don't know if CG will ever look 100%.

Last edited:
More other casting -

Cate Blanchett - Mon Mothma
Brad Dourif - The Emperor
Stephen Fry - Threepio

i actually like MEW and Jaimie Alexander as choices for Leia. Emma Stone did this paradoy thing and she nailed all of Leia's lines perfectly.

It would be written to more of a parable of War on Terror then in Vietnam when Lucas wrote the original. I think the plot of a small rebel band defeating a giant power sounds a lot like Al-Qaeda and insurgents in Iraq and other places have done, and probably would not be popular. A different conflict and protagonist would be different.

Remake of ANH could begin with Luke wanting to leave Tattooine because the Empire hasn't done anything about the power stuggles among the street gangs and Jabba the Hutt.

Post ANH after the Death Star blows up Alderaan the citizens of the Galactic Empire begin holding more negative feelings toward the Empire. Then either in TESB or ROTJ, the Rebel Alliance would learn that the Empire persuaded Jabba and some of the other known crime bosses throughout the galaxy to become more vicious in their territorial disputes. This begins to turn the Imperial citizens' attitude toward the Empire into a more favorable one when the Empire increases its efforts against the very war that it instigated to regain the peoples' favor.

This way the Empire is undeniably evil by allowing the Hutts and other gangsters to drag civilians and whole cities into their street wars, and the audience would be rooting for the Rebels.

However some of the stuff you'd need to show might push the PG rating to a PG13.

Personally in this rendition, Leia should have become queen of New Alderaan after final film in the trilogy, Han would have died and Luke gone off on a solitary road to recruit more Jedi. The Death Star can only be used once and the Emperor's flagship replaces the weapon for Return of the Jedi. Lando can be killed off too. But I could see Chewbacca staying with Leia and overseeing her there, as well as C-3PO. My take for him trying to find life as a homosexual in the Galaxy as an element of his character needing to more understood. It justifies him not getting with Leia and besides being a turn off for most girls, it still makes him more Spartan like as a warrior.

I think that a remake of Star Wars could look more like this:
306px-AotS-TSW.jpg

812px-MCQ-deakvader.jpg

518px-MCQ-counterparts.jpg

518px-MCQ-cantina.jpg

517px-ST_Lightsaber.jpg

518px-MCQ-ywing.jpg

So that it continues to be an interesting galaxy but a bit different from the one we were acostumed to, i would keep the original idea for the ending of Return of the Jedi and if they made a 2nd trilogy then they could take inspiration from the Thrawn Trilogy and Dark Empire, the last film could for example have Luke and Mara Jade fighting the Emperor like the original idea of Luke and his sister doing that.

Luke Skywalker - Aaron Johnson

Han Solo - Chris Pine

Princess Leia - Allison Brie

Darth Vader (Voice) - Morgan Freeman or Anthony Hopkins (Either one with voice modulation)

C3PO - Jim Parsons or Michael Sheen

Ben Kenobi - Jeff Bridges

Lando Calrissian - Jessie Williams

Grand Moff Tarkin - Hugo Weaving

The Emperor - Michael Fassbender

Yoda- Andy Serkis

If there were sequels for the remake would you guys make it a trilogy and have Darth Vader killing Palpatine by the end of return of the Jedi or should they proced with the original idea of making Palpatine only appear by the 6th film (Episode IX if counting with prequels).
And should Leia be Luke's sister again?

I would have simply too eliminated the reveal of Vader being Luke's father until Return of the Jedi when how he became the cyborg is revealed. During the confrontation at Cloud City the line would be instead "Obi-Wan killed your father." To what promptly make Luke think his mentor had been lying about this instead. The conversations with Ben in Jedi reveals that this is too half true and that Ben and Anakin fought in a duel and Anakin fell into a molten pit to become Darth Vader. When Vader kills the Emperor does Vader then acknowledge that he is Luke's father. Vader would also vanish like Ben did in the suit before the mask could be removed.

For ANH:

Luke - Anton Yelchin
Leia - Emma Stone
Han - Hugh Jackman
Threepio - Doug Jones
Chewie - CG with Andy Serkis doing performance-capture
Obi-Wan - Gary Oldman
Darth Vader - voiced by Jeffrey Wright
Tarkin - Ben Kingsley

This is very good, I think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts