Superman Returns I'm over it.

The problem for me is that Singer refused to make a Superman movie. He made a Bryan Singer movie. You could replace the character arc of Superman in SR with the arc of Wolverine, Dean Keaton, or many of his other "lost" characters searching for their roots. Even if Singer knows the character, he refused to put the true character onscreen. Superman is not a lost soul. The great directors can put there stamp on a film, while making a film unlike their previous films.

He wanted to use the Donnerverse as a template but the movie lacked Donner's humor and grace. It lacked vision. Reeves had the "it" factor. He had the boyish charm, the sense of humor, and the power. Routh, although not bad, lacked all these qualities. Not that it mattered because Singer gave him nothing to do.

I'm biased, I don't want him to do another because nothing I've seen from Singer shows he can do better. I like The Usual Suspects, but nothing from that film shows he can do a good Superman. I was dissapointed in both X-Men films as well. Nothing from the X-Men comics translated into his movies. Once again he puts Wolverine as the lost soul searching for his roots.

Dean Keaton is that from "Apt Pupil"? If not where?

Angeloz

Dean Keaton is that from "Apt Pupil"? If not where?

Angeloz

Dean Keaton is from The Usual Suspects. The Apt Pupil character was Todd something or other. Actually that character in Apt Pupil was a better link to Superman. A lost soul searching for something.

Love or hate the film, you can't argue Singer's approach to the character. He uses the same character in every film. He saw Superman as a lost soul, the fact that he's not, didn't matter much to Singer.

Now he's given him a son, a love triangle, and a brooding, guilt riden existance who would sacrifice the world and people he swore to protect to selfishly leave earth for 5 years because of a newspaper article.

And we know that before reading your post it is going to be defending SR. So what is your point? So what, he can't post his opinion here?

Hmm I really don't believe I only DEFEND SR. As someone who likes the film I still try to be objective about flaws it may have.

First, C. Lee isn't the authority on comedy. That would be Carrot Top.
You never know....I may be Carrot Top's Clark Kent......have you ever seen the two of us together?

I loved SR anyway but I feel it gets better each time you watch it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"