im really getting annoyed with the blue ray disc...

gap5ewl

inconspicuous since '03.
Reaction score
So pretty much every dvd release commercial is including the blue ray disc option which basically means it will be replacing dvd's within the coming years. I'm really pissed because it's so pointless..there's nothing wrong with the dvd's and I definatly think we could still market them 10-15 years onward. But no pretty soon all they'll be selling is the blue rays which means we will have to replace our dvd players and get the new blue ray player and dvd's will be just as obsolete as the vhs. From what I can tell, all the blue ray offers is more digital features. High Definition, interactive menu's and specials blah blah. I dont want to see more behind the scenes features or pop ups or see the freaken thing in high def so i can see an ant on the ground I just want to see the damn movie! I can't stand it I mean the dvd has only been around for 10 years and has only been globally popular for the last 6 years. The vhs had a longer shelf life damnit! Damn movie industry trying to suck in as much money as possible...

Blue ray is just another scam by sony to make you buy more of their products. Im not buying a blue ray player, or a PS3. **** sony.

gap5ewl said:
So pretty much every dvd release commercial is including the blue ray disc option which basically means it will be replacing dvd's within the coming years. I'm really pissed because basically its pointless..there's nothing wrong with the dvd's and I definatly think we could still marked them 10-15 years onward. But no pretty soon all they'll be selling is the blue rays which means we will have to replace our dvd players and get the new blue ray player and dvd's will just as obsalete as the vhs. From what I can tell, all the blue ray offers is more digital features. High Definition, interactive menu's and specials blah blah. I dont want to see more behind the scenes features or pop ups or see the freaken thing in high def so i can see an ant on the ground I just want to see the freaken movie! I can't stand it I mean the dvd has only been around for 10 years the vhs had a longer shelf life. Damn movie industry trying to suck in as much money as possible...

Amen.

gap5ewl said:
So pretty much every dvd release commercial is including the blue ray disc option which basically means it will be replacing dvd's within the coming years. I'm really pissed because basically its pointless..there's nothing wrong with the dvd's and I definatly think we could still marked them 10-15 years onward. But no pretty soon all they'll be selling is the blue rays which means we will have to replace our dvd players and get the new blue ray player and dvd's will be just as obsolete as the vhs. From what I can tell, all the blue ray offers is more digital features. High Definition, interactive menu's and specials blah blah. I dont want to see more behind the scenes features or pop ups or see the freaken thing in high def so i can see an ant on the ground I just want to see the freaken movie! I can't stand it I mean the dvd has only been around for 10 years the vhs had a longer shelf life. Damn movie industry trying to suck in as much money as possible...
So true. Blue ray is pointless. Sony is notorious for trying to squeeze as much cash as possible out of it's customers.

We'll have to get used to it, technology is advancing faster than before. I have a feeling 10 years after Blu-Ray we'll have a new format.

Despite Fred's great argument :woot:, I will say there is one major positive to Blu-Ray. It holds 25 and possibly 30 gigs of data on one disk, compared to even HD disks 15 gigs, which are both larger than DVD.

What's the positive of that? No more having to switch disks in between an extended Lord of the Rings movie lol. Seriously that **** gets annoying, having to get up mid way thru any of them mid way thru as your getting into it to pop it out and switch disks. It's lazy I know, but if I can have the whole movie, and all features and extras and other items on one disk instead of 4, it's not too bad.

I am with you tho that I hate that format switches too much, heck I still record shows on VHS's rather than a Tivo or something (still have a DvD player of course, just for TV shows I miss). So wasn't arguing for so much format change, just clearing that up.

Well that is a good thing if you're into extended editions and such (Im personally not a fan) it holds more memory...So that means we have to replace our dvd players so it can be compatible with this new stuff? Why can't they just upgrade the cd format allowing more storage but not forcing us to replace our players? That seems way more practicle then throwing away the dvd all together I mean the dvd hasnt even been around that long I got my first dvd player 6 years ago. The vhs was around for about 25 years before it went away for good and it was pretty ancient in its technology compared to the dvd. .

change is good

Otherwise we'd still only have stereo sound lol

Besides if you watch something in hi definition you can see the difference

gap5ewl said:
Well that is a good thing if you're into extended editions and such (Im personally not a fan) it holds more memory...So that means we have to replace our dvd players so it can be compatible with this new stuff? Why can't they just upgrade the cd format allowing more storage but not forcing us to replace our players? That seems way more practicle then throwing away the dvd all together I mean the dvd hasnt even been around that long I got my first dvd player 6 years ago. The vhs was around for about 25 years before it went away for good and it was pretty ancient in its technology compared to the dvd. .

Trust me I feel ya, have a box of VHS tapes in my garage still, and some I don't have on DVD yet so I bought a DVD/VHS combo to still watch the old ones. Ya tho their not compatible. HD and Blu-Ray are supposed to have better quality (tho the first wave of Blu-Ray are rumored not to be much better), thing is tho both formats are failing in a way. You can get a Blu-ray player or one comes free with your PS3, for an HD you can get a player or get an additional $200 add on for your Xbox 360. For both you have to have an HD TV.

Right now no one knows who's going to win out, so there's a possibility that those buying HD players right now will have no use for them in a year, or those buying Blu-Ray will have no use for them in a year. Right now Blu-Ray has more movie companies backing it, while HD has more titles out. Blu-Ray has more revenue, while HD has more players sold but they are both about equal in sales overall.

If you don't want one now then I wouldn't buy it, DVD's will still come out for awhile longer while Blu-ray and HD fight it out. Neither will be the winner any time soon, a year from now one will prob go the way of the Beta-Max, and will probably be years after until you have to get one like you had to with DVD players. No rush if you don't care to get the upgrade now.

As for me, I'll get a Blu-ray when I get a PS3 as it comes with it. If I wasn't getting a PS3 tho I wouldn't care and prob not get a Blu-ray player for a few years. It's going to be a pain to start a new movie collection all over again tho :(.

FadingCB said:
I will say there is one major positive to Blu-Ray. It holds 25 and possibly 30 gigs of data on one disk, compared to even HD disks 15 gigs, which are both larger than DVD. What's the positive of that? No more having to switch disks in between an extended Lord of the Rings movie lol. Seriously that **** gets annoying, having to get up mid way thru any of them mid way thru as your getting into it to pop it out and switch disks. It's lazy I know, but if I can have the whole movie, and all features and ex

Tell me something even with the amazing Blu-Ray why does some Blu-Ray movies have thats right 2 Disc Editions. Doesnt that take away the point of Blu-Ray ?

Sony did NOT make Blu-Ray for the extra space otherwise no & I mean no Blu-Ray release would be two discs

That's all part of the "added experience".

jimmy rhoads said:
That's all part of the "added experience".

But it takes away the point of "why" Blu-Ray was supposedly made.

That's not the point. It's all about the EXPERIENCE, brahh.

Arnt most blue ray players meant to be backwards compatable with DVDs?

blue ray can die in a ditch for all i care:cmad:

most of the dvds i buy now are classic dr who stories and the guys who put them out have said that after they're on dvd then thats it so blue ray can bite it.

and you say this was made by sony? then i really want it to die.

long post short....i still own videos and like them cause you can stop them and not have your player shut down and go back to the menu and search for where you were the previous night. basicly i hope that it dies on it's arse:up:

I'd just like to point out every DVD commercial used to say "Avalible on DVD and PSP". Look where that went :up:

Blu-Ray isn't Sony,Sony is backing up Blu-Ray along with Disney,Fox,Warner,Apple ect...While there is nothing wrong with dvd's,the movie studios are having a problem with dvds,since they aren't selling like they used to,On Feb 17th 2009 all TV Broadcasts are to be televised in HD anyhow,Now if you turn on channel 5 and see it's in HD,and you then pop in your dvd..you'll be saying to yourself...why dont they make movies in HD...yes the picture IS that good,for those who have never see an HD broadcast.

mightiest_mortal said:
Arnt most blue ray players meant to be backwards compatable with DVDs?

Yes,they all are.DVD get upconverted as well.So your dvds will look better,not become obsolete.

Shuley said:
Blu-Ray isn't Sony,Sony is backing up Blu-Ray along with Disney,Fox,Warner,Apple ect...While there is nothing wrong with dvd's,the movie studios are having a problem with dvds,since they aren't selling like they used to,On Feb 17th 2009 all TV Broadcasts are to be televised in HD anyhow,Now if you turn on channel 5 and see it's in HD,and you then pop in your dvd..you'll be saying to yourself...why dont they make movies in HD...yes the picture IS that good,for those who have never see an HD broadcast.

I've seen DVD and I have an HD-TV with HD networks. In all honesty, the difference isn't that big. It isn't like comparing VHS to DVD where there was such a tremendous change you needed to switch formats. The colors are a little brighter and the picture a little sharper. Thats it. If you're not a tech junkie you won't know/care.

Shuley said:

Sony does want to compromise & there be one format. So we may see one of the new formats "disappear" eventually

gap5ewl said:
So pretty much every dvd release commercial is including the blue ray disc option which basically means it will be replacing dvd's within the coming years. I'm really pissed because it's so pointless..there's nothing wrong with the dvd's and I definatly think we could still market them 10-15 years onward. But no pretty soon all they'll be selling is the blue rays which means we will have to replace our dvd players and get the new blue ray player and dvd's will be just as obsolete as the vhs. From what I can tell, all the blue ray offers is more digital features. High Definition, interactive menu's and specials blah blah. I dont want to see more behind the scenes features or pop ups or see the freaken thing in high def so i can see an ant on the ground I just want to see the damn movie! I can't stand it I mean the dvd has only been around for 10 years and has only been globally popular for the last 6 years. The vhs had a longer shelf life damnit! Damn movie industry trying to suck in as much money as possible...

I've never been able to understand anti-capitalism; if you don't want a product, don't buy it! It's that simple. There's a free market in this country and if you don't like it, you have the ability to move to China where there isn't one. I mean, would you actually like the government to dictate what you're allowed to buy and sell? Are you so dependent on the government that not only are you incapable of making this decision for yourself, but you also want the government to make this decision for other people?

What you want to buy is your decision, so don't act like it's not; this is why democracy and capitalism are so great.

I think pretty soon we'll download films from the internet onto our TV like iTunes.

But that's jus me.

Dan33977 said:
I've never been able to understand anti-capitalism; if you don't want a product, don't buy it! It's that simple. There's a free market in this country and if you don't like it, you have the ability to move to China where there isn't one. I mean, would you actually like the government to dictate what you're allowed to buy and sell? Are you so dependent on the government that not only are you incapable of making this decision for yourself, but you also want the government to make this decision for other people?

What you want to buy is your decision, so don't act like it's not; this is why democracy and capitalism are so great.

China has a free market now, you have to talk about North Korea now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"