I'm thinking of buying a new computer

Superman

The Man Of Steel (Is #1)
Reaction score
What should I look for? Is the new Windows Vista any good or should I try to get a computer with an older Windows? What should I look for with the Windows Vista?

My wife wants a word processing program--any suggestions?

In general, what would be a good computer to get?

Kinda depends on what you want to do with it, besides the word processing program, from a hardware standpoint.

You'll be hard pressed to get anything but Vista now, if you go the Windows route try to get XP Pro.

I'm sure jag will stick his head in here and give you the Mac rundown, I am not fimilar with them. It may be the overall best choice.

I'm personal thinking of crossing over for my personal laptop.

What should I look for? Is the new Windows Vista any good or should I try to get a computer with an older Windows? What should I look for with the Windows Vista?

My wife wants a word processing program--any suggestions?

In general, what would be a good computer to get?

If you are simply wanting a pc for general use (not gaming) Vista is ok.
XP I like personally better.

Try OpenOffice for a word processing application, its completely free...

Kinda depends on what you want to do with it, besides the word processing program, from a hardware standpoint.

You'll be hard pressed to get anything but Vista now, if you go the Windows route try to get XP Pro.

I'm sure jag will stick his head in here and give you the Mac rundown, I am not fimilar with them. It may be the overall best choice.

I'm personal thinking of crossing over for my personal laptop.

I am thinking of getting a Mac, but to get one new, they are just significantly more expensive.

MAC rocks. WINDOWS sucks. Thats all the advice you need.

I am thinking of getting a Mac, but to get one new, they are just significantly more expensive.

That they are, probably not going to seriously look into it for a year or so.

There are plenty of desktop computers worth about $250 to $450.
If that is a good price range they are all over the internet.

Check Pricewatch
With Windows
Without an OS

That depends if you're looking for a powerful computer or just a basic/decent one.

O and if you want a really solid Operating System for your new computer and suggest getting one of the UNIX flavors of OS. Its difficult to use but it trumps both MAC and WINDOWS combined. :eek:

O and if you want a really solid Operating System for your new computer and suggest getting one of the UNIX flavors of OS. Its difficult to use but it trumps both MAC and WINDOWS combined. :eek:

Unix/Linux is great, but NOT user friendly. So if you are not too technical...its NOT an option

Build it! I did. You save lots of money, don't have to put up with crap bundled software that you don't need and that slows your computer down, and you can always urgrade to keep up.

Of course the trade off is that you have to know how to assemble a computer, you have to know what components can work together, and you run the risk of messing stuff up if you don't take precautions.

Vista is nice looking, but XP kicks its ass performance wise.

I use a Mac, but all the PC users I know are actually DXing Vista and installing the older XP. If you want to use a PC that's fine (really it's not, but I'm trying to be nice) but it seems that the consensus is to avoid Vista.

How about Solaris? The worlds most powerful OS.

I honestly have no experience with it. From what I know, its in the Unix/Linux category too as far as technical knowledge...

I would imagine though it would be a very bad "desktop" OS...again I could be wrong on this one.

How about we form our own group and make an OS? How hard can it be? I mean Microsoft uses bloody Visual Basic and C programming, which is supposed to be the least difficult programming language to use.

^Yeah I'm thinking of getting myself a leopard OS or the MAC OSX. Does anyone know how much for these OS or even if they sell it unattached to an actual MAC PC.

How about we form our own group and make an OS? How hard can it be? I mean Microsoft uses bloody Visual Basic and C programming, which is supposed to be the least difficult programming language to use.

Want to see something interested, check this out...
ReactOS

Its not really ready for real use, but its interesting

Unix/Linux is great, but NOT user friendly. So if you are not too technical...its NOT an option

Mac OSX is a full UNIX operating system. So that flavor is user friendly.

Mac OSX is a full UNIX operating system. So that flavor is user friendly.

Technically it has a Unix/BSD implementation of the kernel. This is built upon from there. It has undergone a bit of work

Want to see something interested, check this out...
ReactOS

Its not really ready for real use, but its interesting

Sounds pretty interesting. Sounds like these guys are trying to do what linux users have been doing since the creation of that OS. They should have started this a long time ago.

Dude no one can touch Unix/Linux. The group that created it always keeps improving it as a matter of fact most people who use that OS contribute to the further development of the OS. People just keep adding on to the general architecture of the OS.

Sounds pretty interesting. Sounds like these guys are trying to do what linux users have been doing since the creation of that OS. They should have started this a long time ago.

Its quite interesting...like I said, not ready for any real use..
I have loaded it on a PC at home for the hell of it, and DAMN it was fast.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"