• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Immigrant Civil Rights Movement

War Lord said:
Your soldiers have no guns?
sarcasm...

And I doubt they shoot immigrants.

And by the way, hundreds of immigrants poor into mexico, yet they don't affect our economy. Funny

Corinthian&#8482 said:
sarcasm...

And by the way, hundreds of immigrants poor into mexico, yet they don't affect our economy. Funny
They did try to shoot illegals but killed one of their own men. And hundreds is a lot different than the millions the US gets...that can change a lot.

Cyclops said:
The problem with the latinos is that they're the ones who are coming here illegally by the truckload - sometimes literally. If it were Germans coming here illegally, we'd have a problem with them, if it were Canadians, same deal. But it's the Latinos doing it, so it's the Latinos that we have the problem with.

If they want rights, and they want to be respected as Americans, why not just come here legally? Why is that so hard? All Americans are descendants of immigrants of some kind. I am. My great-grandparents both came here from Lithuania and Latvia, but they did it legally. They went through Ellis Island and went through the several years to get citizenship, but they did it. And they were dirt-poor when they did it too, so don't tell me it's a money issue. If they want in so bad, they can do it. And it's sure as hell a lot safer than illegally crossing the border, which as I understand it, has a fairly high mortality rate.

So yes, come to our country. Become an American citizen if that's what you want. But do it through the proper legal channels. Don't sneak in here illegally and then demand equal rights. That's just not fair to the people who DID come here the legal way.
Times are a changing. It is different from those times than today, and yes, it is very different. Just browse around the Gov's web pages on immigration and the costs. At least 200 bucks from your side and 100 bucks from our side plus some other expences and lots of waiting in mexico before they can reach America...

chaseter said:
They did try to shoot illegals but killed one of their own men. And hundreds is a lot different than the millions the US gets...that can change a lot.
thousands, not millions.. and Mexico is much smaller.

Corinthian&#8482 said:
O RLY?

Link please... Mexicans can't afford guns. And the authorities have much other people to shoot at rather than immigrants. Well it is very overlooked anyways(immigration)

Here you go

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1617016/posts

SEATTLE POST-INTELLIGENCER
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/national/1102AP_Mexico_Migrant_Shooting.html

Monday, April 17, 2006 · Last updated 6:34 p.m. PT

Mexican officer shoots local man in raid

By MARK STEVENSON
ASSOCIATED PRESS WRITER

TULTITLAN, Mexico -- A state policeman fatally shot a local man whom he apparently mistook for a Central American immigrant during a raid on undocumented workers Monday, infuriating residents who overturned and smashed two immigration service trucks.

People of this town just north of Mexico City expressed outrage that police would open fire on fleeing migrants and said the victim was a construction worker on a lunch break whose dark skin and work clothes may have made him look like a potential target.

State police commander Jorge Cruz Cid said several officers from the Mexico State police force who were helping federal immigration agents in the raid had been detained for questioning.

Tultitlan is frequented by Central Americans who slip across the Guatemala-Mexico border and ride trains north in hopes of reaching the United States. Immigration raids here are frequent - migrants often stop to buy or beg for food - and residents say police often detain townspeople mistakenly.

"They come and grab people just because they are dark-skinned," said Virginia Sanchez, a Tultitlan housewife.

The dead man was identified as Roberto Lugo, a Tultitlan resident who was around 20 years old. Residents said he was neither running nor trying to confront police when he was shot at point-blank range.

Townspeople and Central American migrants interviewed around the scene of the shooting said Mexican police frequently rob and abuse undocumented migrants before releasing them without charges.

"If you're carrying any money, they take it from you; federal, local police, all of them," said Carlos Lopez, a 28-year-old undocumented migrant from Guatemala City. Sitting nearby, 18-year-old Jose Ramos, of El Salvador, agreed.

"If you're on a bus, they pull you off and search your pockets and if you have any money, they keep it and say 'Get out of here,'" Ramos said.

In December, the Mexican government's National Human Rights Commission issued a report corroborating reports of abuses against migrants in Mexico, and condemning the use of police to detain undocumented workers.

Corinthian™ said:
sarcasm...

Let's see, hundreds of illegals within a population of a 150 million vs 12 million illegals in a population of 300 million.

Yep, your comparison is apt.

Corinthian™ said:
Times are a changing. It is different from those times than today, and yes, it is very different. Just browse around the Gov's web pages on immigration and the costs. At least 200 bucks from your side and 100 bucks from our side plus some other expences and lots of waiting in mexico before they can reach America...

But surely, that's better than risking your life to maybe sneak across the border successfully, right?

Either way, if they're here illegally, they shouldn't be demanding equal rights. Time's changing or not, it's still insulting to all the people who went through the trouble to do it right.

Corinthian™ said:
Then why are we paying for people to come over? That does not make sense.

chaseter said:

Who says we're paying anybody to come over?

Some companies will pay the expenses of somebody to come over if their skills are valuable enough.

One day, the US-Mexican border will be open. :up: Probably after a lot of death, and money being wasted.

chaseter said:
No, 200 bucks we have to pay to YOUR side and 100 bucks from the actual MExican Visa and permits and stuff...

and you really need to know what you need to go and live there in the states. If you don't have a family there and/or are filthy rich it is almost near imposible to acquire a citizenship

The difference between these illegal immigrants and immigrants of the past is that their land borders ours, making it vastly easier to sneak in. What they're doing may or may not be right, but one can not be entirely surprised about it.

At the moment, these immigrants provide a source of cheap labor that allows our nation's economy to thrive. Hunting down and deporting them all may please some americans, but will ultimately greatly weaken our economy. Businesses will have to start paying minimum wage for even the least valuable jobs and the price of goods and services will reflect that. Consumers will spend less and.. well... you know the rest...

Outsiderzedge said:
The difference between these illegal immigrants and immigrants of the past is that their land borders ours, making it vastly easier to sneak in. What they're doing may or may not be right, but one can not be entirely surprised about it.

At the moment, these immigrants provide a source of cheap labor that allows our nation's economy to thrive. Hunting down and deporting them all may please some americans, but will ultimately greatly weaken our economy. Businesses will have to start paying minimum wage for even the least valuable jobs and the price of goods and services will reflect that. Consumers will spend less and.. well... you know the rest...

Call me crazy, but I think Americans aren't into saving a couple of bucks to the point that they'll choose the destruction of their country.

If it means paying twice as much for their tomatoes, they'll do it.

Slipknot said:
U.S. has no official language... and language is not what holds a country together. The Soviet Union did quite fine controling their territory where many languages were spoken. The U.S. held itself together when all the immigrants first came over... did they not? Those immigrants were not all speaking English. Sure the Irish had it pretty easy seeing as though they speak it.

From the CIA factbook...

United States:
English 82.1%, Spanish 10.7%, other Indo-European 3.8%, Asian and Pacific island 2.7%, other 0.7%

Canada:
English (official) 59.3%, French (official) 23.2%, other 17.5%
:rolleyes: Such an idiot. We don't conduct our policies in spanish or chinese do we?

Illegal immigrants can get benefits that they are not paying for. Counterfeit documents are not that hard to get, first of all. It would really not be very hard for me to make copies of my social security card that would fool the naked eye of an employer or a DMV worker. And birth certificates? Mine is printed on a plain piece of paper. Those two things are all one would need to get a drivers license and a job. No problem. Or they could steal what they need. Identity theft sucks. Another is option is to buy the documents, forged or real. There is a market for this kind of stuff and then if someone is questionable you can't verify it. I know in Oregon it is illegal for an employee of the state to inquire as per someones residency status. No joke. I don't know the laws in other states but I'm guessing if it is that way here then it is probably that way in other states too. And of course, you can always work under the table for an employer who doesn't care.

And the taxes that illegals do end up paying are not enough for what they are getting. Education (some $10,000 a kid in the Portland School District), roads, protection provided by the police and military, parks, and all the other crap we pay the government to do.

Most importantly, however, is the fact that, whether you like it or not, they are all, in fact, without question, beyond any reasonable doubt, criminals. Criminals. Criminals, criminals, criminals. Crim. I. Nals. Criminals. As in, they committed a crime by breaking the law and so are considered criminals. They. Are. Criminals. Meaning, they broke the law and need to be fined and/or serve jail time. You know, criminals.

Now, if they just want to come here to work then fine, by all means go right ahead so long as you do it legally. Don't want to assimilate? Don't want to learn English? I don't really care as long as you pass a background check and pay your mother freakin' taxes. If for this to be possible there needs to be some kind of change in our immigration system, then I am all for it, I've said that. But having illegal immigrants say "we're not criminals" and "no person is illegal" and "we're not second class citizens" that is just a little much.

And you know what, if they made being here illegally a felony, they wouldn't be bothering immigrants. No matter how much you say it, immigrants are still ok. It's the illegals that would be in trouble. As for the families, every criminal has a family and we don't ignore their crimes. Your dad gets caught stealing, he goes to jail. Now, I don't think making it a felony is a good idea because most illegals are good people. That being said, I don't think a solution has been found as of yet but I for one am open to ideas.

And saying "it's not his fault he didn't come here legally, he couldn't afford it" is like saying "it's not his fault he stole the TV, he couldn't afford it."

Mr. Sparkle said:
you missed the part where you say that "they need to know their place" ha, it's like they think they're reg'lar folk ain't it?"
Mr. Sparkle said:
people that are "against illegal immigration" they are in fact, against "Mexican immigration"

And here it is, anytime someone opposes illegal immigration he is branded a racist. Here it is, right here. You know what, I have friends who are immigrants from Mexico. I have a friend who's dad was recently deported even. I don't care about immigration. Every got dang Mexican that passes a background check, pays taxes and enters the country legally has every right to be here.

People keep trying to link this to immigration and say that we are anti-immigrant, it's happened a dozen times in this thread. It's a sad attempt to legitimize a weak position and it suxors.

My opinion plain and simple:

STOP the flow of illegal immigration NOW. Stop the bleeding before trying to mend the wound. Once there are no more illegals coming in, then we can talk and discuss what to do about the illegals already here.

Blanket deportation is not an option. However, I say we deport any illegals with rap sheets (criminal and/or musical) and deport any illegals who have been unemployed for a sustained period of time. This will still leave us with a large population of illegal immigrants, but it will have sent home the stereotypical bad ones that far righters are harping on about.

In order to locate and identify the illegals we set up a system for them to register in giving them all an id number or social security number. Then, we make set up a validation program by which employers can call in and verify that their employee is in the system. If an employee doesn't have a number or their number doesn't check out, then the wages that employee is paid are not tax deductible for the employer.

Next we reform our immigration system. I really don't know how to do this but it's obvious it needs to be done. After we have a new system we're satisfied with, we make the registered illegals go to the back of the line and attain their citizenship legally but during this process they do get to remain in the country and work ect. like they have been only now they are paying taxes and in the system and no one can complain about them. I think it is necessary to cut the illegals some slack because they contribute to the country and are for the most part good people and our current immigration system seems pretty screwed up.

That is all. They don't need to learn English. They don't need to assimilate into our culture. They just need to abide by the laws.

Oh and also, we should deport everyone who voted Democrat or left-wing independent in the last election. This will unify the country. :up: ;)

War Lord said:
Call me crazy, but I think Americans aren't into saving a couple of bucks to the point that they'll choose the destruction of their country.

If it means paying twice as much for their tomatoes, they'll do it.

No, they won't. They'll simply buy less tomatoes. There's no unspoken tomato quota that consumers adhere to.

Outsiderzedge said:
No, they won't. They'll simply buy less tomatoes. There's no unspoken tomato quota that consumers adhere to.

They will buy the amount of tomatoes they need, as opposed to want.

War Lord said:
They will buy the amount of tomatoes they need, as opposed to want.

What's your point?

It doesn't change the fact that consumers will be buying less.

I think we should let the sexy Mexican ladies into the US like that girl on the Chaquita Bananas. :up:

the only real way to stop this is to make the companies and people who hire illegals to pay out the ying yang....make it more cost effective to hire an american.

And anyone saying illegals arent criminals...Hello they are called "ILLEGAL"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"