Iron Man In The Middle: The "I'm just not sure about this movie yet" Thread

Anyone that has scene the Comic Con teaser will know that acting is not going to be the problem!! I just hope they don't have the same guy that edited this new Teaser doing the whole movie!!

I know they've said they're trying to ground it in reality, but I just don't see it from the trailer. It has that colorful "popped off the pages of the comic" look to it, and the dialogue seems a little too campy. And the fact that they're resorting to using motion capture CGI to create Iron Man(for god knows what reason) makes me think it's just gonna be one big CG fest by the end.

All in all, I see this film being more in line with Spider-Man than Batman Begins. The problem, however (as others have said), is that Iron Man doesn't have mass public appeal or even recognition. I think Favreau is overestimating this thing, really. Especially with the talk of a three picture deal. The general public just doesn't have enough interest in Iron Man to care. Now maybe if he makes the first film really unique and special(like what Nolan did with Begins) it would spark interest, but if it just turns out to be a run-of-the-mill summer superhero action flick, it's not gonna happen.

I know they've said they're trying to ground it in reality, but I just don't see it from the trailer. It has that colorful "popped off the pages of the comic" look to it, and the dialogue seems a little too campy. And the fact that they're resorting to using motion capture CGI to create Iron Man(for god knows what reason) makes me think it's just gonna be one big CG fest by the end.

All in all, I see this film being more in line with Spider-Man than Batman Begins. The problem, however (as others have said), is that Iron Man doesn't have mass public appeal or even recognition. I think Favreau is overestimating this thing, really. Especially with the talk of a three picture deal. The general public just doesn't have enough interest in Iron Man to care. Now maybe if he makes the first film really unique and special(like what Nolan did with Begins) it would spark interest, but if it just turns out to be a run-of-the-mill summer superhero action flick, it's not gonna happen.

Erm, they arent using motion capture for Iron Man! The suit was actually built by Stan Winston and RDJ wears it. It will have some CGI add-ons but thats it, the suit itself is 100% real.

The rest of your post i kinda agree with.

That wouldn't bother me since I consider the 1st 2 Spidey films superior to BB. AS long as they don't mess it up like SM3.

I'm not sure what you guys want. Every piece of source material is somewhat campy and corny at times. When directors take these movies on, they tend to utilize aspects from the original comics as well as later, more mature issues that were released, but sometimes it can be hard to find a good medium. Hulk was excellent in my eyes, but to some it skewed too far on the "take the material serious" scale.

The trailer made me afraid of this film. I got the same vibe I got after watching the GhostRider and FF1 trailers, the this movie is going to be a steaming pile of s**t vibe. Still I liked FF1 (and two) more than most, I mean they aren't great or even good really but I liked them, (6.5 or 7/10 for both) but I hated GhostRider. It is the worse movie I've seen this year and the worse comicbook movie since Batman and Robin and Catwoman, you choose. I could see this being just a poorly cut trailer so I'm not throwing out the movie just yet.

Things that worried me before the Trailer:

I don't care for Paltrow as an actress, to studied and bland for my taste.

The director has never handled a film like this before, he could knock it out of the park but then again he could not, it's just a really up in the air thing for me. I'm not really against the cast but I'm not really farmilar with most of there work or I didn't fall in love with them when i did see it, so I'm not as impressed as some people but to each his/her own.

I just haven't heard anything that has got me hyped so I waited for the trailer.

After the Trailer:

Uh, let me give you a little history here of my view of some comicbook movie trailers.

Hulk: liked it but disliked the film.

DareDevil: liked it but disliked the film.

Spider-Man: loved it and loved the film.

Spider-Man 2: loved it and loved the film.

Batman Begins: really really liked it and liked the film.

Blade: Loved it at the time and loved the film.

Blade 2: Don't remember it but I thought the movie would suck and ended up loving it to death.

HellBoy: Really liked it and loved the film.

X-Men: Remember liking it but only ending up think that the film was slightly above average.

X2: Liked the trailer and liked it but it's still shy of being on my good movie list.

X3: Don't really remember to well but I liked the film well enough, it's not great but it was better than the first.

Superman Returns: Blah trailer and blah film.

Hulk: Great teaser, good trailer but pretty lousy film for the most part.

GhostRider: Hated it and hated the film.

I'm done I getting tired of this post.

I'll just end it with:

Ironman: Lame trailer ? film.

The only thing that popped out at me was the camera angles. Everything was like head on or at a slight angle.

The trailer made me afraid of this film. I got the same vibe I got after watching the GhostRider and FF1 trailers, the this movie is going to be a steaming pile of s**t vibe. Still I liked FF1 (and two) more than most, I mean they aren't great or even good really but I liked them, (6.5 or 7/10 for both) but I hated GhostRider. It is the worse movie I've seen this year and the worse comicbook movie since Batman and Robin and Catwoman, you choose. I could see this being just a poorly cut trailer so I'm not throwing out the movie just yet.

Speaking of Batman & Robin and Catwoman, those two movie alone show that having an A-list cast of respected actors does not necessarily ensure a good film (since so many people seem to believe that "with RDJ, Paltrow, Bridges... it can't fail!" notion).

and I think Iron Man will be in the movie, with the red and gold armor, only after 45 minutes. bad feeling.

and I think Iron Man will be in the movie, with the red and gold armor, only after 45 minutes. bad feeling.

yea Im sick of the overused Pandora's box format Marvel seems to adhere to. Why the Jack Flip can't they just in source Timm and Co? Makes me angrier then a housecat at a Tom & Jerry marathon. Let the flippin' comic book writers do the film, these Hollywood guys suck Donkey Sausages with syrup! :cmad:

I should point out that this is not the trailer. This is a teaser. The actual trailer won't be out until around February at the earliest. They're still in the early stages of post-production right now.

Wow, what do comic fans want? For a movie to be serious throughout?Calm down...

THIS IS MADNESS!

I still want the film to be more involving. I thought the comic-con footage was fantastic, but when you see it in high-resolution, you get bored very quick. The angles were tragically boring and the directing seem uninspired.

I still want the film to be more involving. I thought the comic-con footage was fantastic, but when you see it in high-resolution, you get bored very quick. The angles were tragically boring and the directing seem uninspired.
You got all that from a teaser?

:huh:

L....O....L

y Makes me angrier then a housecat at a Tom & Jerry marathon. Let the flippin' comic book writers do the film, these Hollywood guys suck Donkey Sausages with syrup! :cmad:
i can see your point

:ninja:

Speaking of Batman & Robin and Catwoman, those two movie alone show that having an A-list cast of respected actors does not necessarily ensure a good film (since so many people seem to believe that "with RDJ, Paltrow, Bridges... it can't fail!" notion).
Exactly.

There's two different types of A-list casts.

Batman & Robin had big name stars, but not "respected" actors. Arnold can't act and George Clooney was just a pretty face at that point. Then what else did they have? Uma Thurman, Chris O'Donnell and Alicia Silverstone? Come on.

Catwoman had Halle Berry and Sharon Stone, and both of them had been involved in steaming piles of crap movies before.

The second type of A-list cast is real, respected, good actors. People with Oscars and Oscar nominations. Robert Downey Jr, Gwenyth Paltrow, Jeff Bridges, and Terrence Howard are not huge stars. They are not box office draws. They are all, however, Academy Award nominees. There is absolutely no denying that this cast has more in common with the Batman Begins cast than with the Catwoman or Batman & Robin cast.

With how Marvel has been treating it's movies..i don't blame anyone for having second thoughts..even at this point.

Everything I've seen so far looks great (especially the suit), its got so much potential.

But after Ghost Rider, and all the other let downs over the past few years, I'm just gonna reserve judgment til it comes out. Honestly, I'm expecting it to be mediocre. I hope I'm wrong.

I went into ghost rider with low expectations, hoping that if it was 'just ok' I'd be pleasantly surprised. Oh how I was wrong. GR has become a new low in comic book adaptions. I enjoyed 1990 Captain America more (seriously).

I don't know what you guys are talking about, I think the dialogue is great for a comic book movie (I particularly like Downey's lines... He's a great actor if you have seen him in anything else. He will be a good Tony Stark), and I don't really think it is campy either.

How much control has Marvel had up to this point though?
It is my understanding that IM and the new Hulk are the first movies that Marvel has complete control over, whereas movies like FF, GR and wtv else were controlled by the particular studios that had bought the rights.
So if this is true, then these are the movies Marvel must redeem themselves with, so far the casting on both films seem awesome, the trailer for IM delivered more campiness than I'd want to deal with, but it is still very early.

With how Marvel has been treating it's movies..i don't blame anyone for having second thoughts..even at this point.

true.
but i always feel that way with any comic flick. even with Dark Knight or something, just suspicious and nervous over any property.

^
I can understand that. I don't think I could take another 2003 Hulk fiasco. I try to emotionaly distance myself, just in case. But damn 2008 is gonna be hard since both Hulk and iron Man are my personal faves when it comes to comic book characters. And I'm even somewhat interested in TDK as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"