Info on these Batman Poster (Variants?)

darklord1967

Civilian
Reaction score
Hi Gang!!

I'm tying to get some information on some VARIATIONS I discovered online of two classic Batman poster pin-ups / paintings. if possible, I'd like to know where they can be found, and anything else about them.

First up is the artwork from a 1977 Batman poster from a company called Thought Factory. The artist is Drew Struzan the famous movie poster artist

The original 1977 poster is on the left, The variation I discovered is on the right.

Drew%20Bat%20Compare%20copy_zps9jpmtugh.jpg

Next is a beautiful painting of The classic Batman and Robin done by the incomparable Alex Ross. I first saw this incredible painting years ago on the back of the hardcover book Batman: The Complete History. The painting is a tribute to the 1940 cover of Batman #9 by Jack Burnley.

Once again, the original painting is on the left, the variation (?) is on the right.

Ross%20Batman%20and%20Robin%20compare_zpswtgbnjds.jpg

So... does anyone have any Info? Anyone?? Bueller? Bueller??:yay:

Last edited:
I don't have any info exactly, but I would guess the altered versions are not official. The altered Alex Ross one, it doesn't even look like Alex Ross's Batman in the face/head anymore.

I don't have any info exactly, but I would guess the altered versions are not official. The altered Alex Ross one, it doesn't even look like Alex Ross's Batman in the face/head anymore.

Well, I think it still looks like a version of Alex Ross's Batman, it's just that the ears on the bat cowl have been shortened and blank lenses have been added to the eye holes in the cowl. As far as i can see, those are the only changes made to the Batman head. But I do know what you mean. By blanking out The Batman's eyes (to give him a more traditional look) it does look less like Ross' typical take on the character).

Ultimately, I think the altered version of this piece is a vast improvement over Ross' original. I would LOVE to own both of these altered pieces as art for my wall.

Last edited:
Wow.
The altered Ross piece is fascinating. Alex Ross has always resisted painting a more fantastic interpretation of Batman, until he went all-in with his 75th anniversary 'History of Batman' piece. The Robin does look like it's based on his work- either from a Dick Grayson or Bucky.
I suppose a fan who wanted something a little less grounded and a little more Dick Sprang/Jerry Robinson/Jack Burnley could have done it.
Where did you see these darklord? Deviantart? EBay?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"