International Superheroes

CyclopsWasRight

Well, he was.
Reaction score
One thing I'd like to see is more Superheroes outside of North America.

Pretty much every Marvel and DC movie has been set in North America and I understand that is because the characters were created there but story-wise there's other countries.

The only movie that springs to mind is Wolverine origins which features the Canadian hero operating in Canada and the only upcoming one seems to be Black Panther and even then it's likely that like Wolverine, Black Panther will operate more in the USA than his home.

Others have had heroes travel to other countries and carry out movies there and then return back like The Wolverine (Japan) Thor The Dark World (U.K) and we've had international characters in America like Xavier, Storm, Nightcrawler, Black Widow ect...

How about you guys. Would you like to see more international superhero movies where the heroes live and operate in a country other than the USA?

There aren't tons of options but there are options like Captain Britain, Excalibur, Alpha Flight and some others.

Notice: this ISN'T a slight or insult to America, just a wish for some variety of heroes in this area, particularly in the cinematic universes and long running franchises.

I'd love to see Captain Britain and the MI:13 show up in the MCU.

Wouldn't mind it at all. I'd welcome it, in fact.

I'm all for diversity. It makes the movies feel more fresh and a shared universe feels so much grander for it.

I'd love to see Captain Britain and the MI:13 show up in the MCU.

Yeah, agreed. MI:13 has a ton of potential.

A big problem is that most of the heroes in the comics are American (and New Yorkers at that, whether literally in Marvel's case or in some fictional version of New York in DC's case). Most of the true foreign heroes (Storm, Colossus, Sunfire, etc.) are owned by Fox, what few there are in the first place.

I've mentioned it before and it is a big out there since he's never been anything close to a major hero (and has historically been a villain more than a hero), but I would be interested in a Radioactive Man movie. China is a huge market and a story set in China with a Chinese superhero is something we have never seen before in a CBM. He has a lot of potential that has never really been realized in the comics.

Green Lantern is the worst culprit. After Abin Sur, the only ones to be chosen to be GLs in the entire sector have been five Americans (not to mention they're all men, all similar body types, and all in the relatively same age range at that)

But yeah, I'm all for more international superheroes. I'm also in the camp that wouldn't mind changing the nationalities of existing heroes.

Last edited:
^That's a whole other can of worms right there. Though to be honest, they're just a product of their time. Their creators were born here, this is all they knew, they wanted to create heroes that reflected their experiences, etc. That's how most fiction is.

I won't be surprised if in the next few years, post JL and INFINITY WAR that both Marvel and WB/DCE decide to capitalize on some of their more obscure "international" characters and give us something like Global Guardians or Captain Britain ect. It's a market ripe for exploitation.

Batmen of all nations.
Seconded!

622511-batman681_036.jpg

Batman_Incorporated_Vol_1_6_Textless.jpg

Yeah, agreed. MI:13 has a ton of potential.

A big problem is that most of the heroes in the comics are American (and New Yorkers at that, whether literally in Marvel's case or in some fictional version of New York in DC's case). Most of the true foreign heroes (Storm, Colossus, Sunfire, etc.) are owned by Fox, what few there are in the first place.

I've mentioned it before and it is a big out there since he's never been anything close to a major hero (and has historically been a villain more than a hero), but I would be interested in a Radioactive Man movie. China is a huge market and a story set in China with a Chinese superhero is something we have never seen before in a CBM. He has a lot of potential that has never really been realized in the comics.

Marvel Comics and Studio are both sitting on a potential gold mine with Radioactive Man. He's an extremely powerful character with flashy powers and the ability to appeal to a massive market. Even just as the "protagonist" of a Thinderbolts movie, he has a ton of potential.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"