Where's the talk of other minority superhero movies besides blacks?

In the comics, Elektra is half Japanese. Undfortunately they cast Jennifer Garner in the role, and hired really crappy writers and directors for the movie(s).

I keep forgetting that she's half Japanese because they usually draw her as a white woman. I'm fine with her being a white woman. It's not bother to me at all, but if she's half Japanese they should at least give her some facial features that show it.

Is this half japanese stuff a recent retcon? As far as I knew she was greek.

Read Xombi. The best book mainstream DC is currently publishing. Upcoming issue #6 is the last issue (for now). I could see Guillermo Del Toro making a movie of this...or the guy who did Dark City.

Yeah, I didn't start reading Xombi until this series, and it's pretty fun. I gotta go track down the old Milestone series.

I've been checking out the Executive Assistant Hit List Agenda books. I think Maggie Q would make an awesome Executive Assistant Iris. She pretty much is doing that now as Nikita. And I know she can sexy it up a little more for Iris.

Is this half japanese stuff a recent retcon? As far as I knew she was greek.

Yeah, what's with this Japanese heritage? I thought she was always Greek, no Asian blood in there at all.

We should get a Shang Chi movie. Jason Scott Lee (who played Bruce Lee in "Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story") would've been good for the role years ago, but he's too old now and doesn't look quite as in shape.

Whoever they get for Shang Chi, it had better be a proper martial artist, and not that Korean or Thai dancer dude they got for Kato in The Green Hornet. I want to see someone who can really fight and has the skills - but not Jet Li, as he doesn't look physically suitable for the part.

If they ever do a Shang Chi movie I hope that they avoid the Ninja Assassin style of fighting. They should get Donnie Yen, Sammo Hung, or another one of the great choreographers out in Hong Kong. The movie should be like a kung fu movie with a lot of fantasy elements to it. It doesn't even have to be big budget either.

If they ever do a Shang Chi movie I hope that they avoid the Ninja Assassin style of fighting. They should get Donnie Yen, Sammo Hung, or another one of the great choreographers out in Hong Kong. The movie should be like a kung fu movie with a lot of fantasy elements to it. It doesn't even have to be big budget either.

I agree, but I don't want it too fantasy. That usually means wire work, and I pretty much detest that style. It means that almost anyone can do that. I prefer the old, traditional style of Kung Fu where people actually did the stunts and acrobatics themselves, and showed off their masterful ability. That is far more impressive. I hate the idea of fighters gliding through the air and defying gravity like in Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon or House of Flying Daggers.

Sammo Hung, for all his heft and weight, displays far more impressive acrobatic ability than these wire work dependents (which includes Jet Li). Jackie Chan has also shown impressive acrobatics, except for maybe a few recent films where he's relied on wires (but those films suffer for it).

I agree, but I don't want it too fantasy. That usually means wire work, and I pretty much detest that style. It means that almost anyone can do that. I prefer the old, traditional style of Kung Fu where people actually did the stunts and acrobatics themselves, and showed off their masterful ability. That is far more impressive. I hate the idea of fighters gliding through the air and defying gravity like in Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon or House of Flying Daggers.

Sammo Hung, for all his heft and weight, displays far more impressive acrobatic ability than these wire work dependents (which includes Jet Li). Jackie Chan has also shown impressive acrobatics, except for maybe a few recent films where he's relied on wires (but those films suffer for it).

If they did some wire work that's fine, but as long as they don't go overboard I'm okay with it. The first Once Upon a Time in China had some really great fight scenes that limited the wire work a bit so that it wasn't all flying like in the movies you listed. I'm not a fan of those either because it just looks silly. CTHD and HOFD had some cool fighting scenes, but the wire work was too much. I don't want to see some slow motion fighting of dragons and what not. Just straight up ass kicking with the occasional high flip.

I think Jaime Reyes (Blue Beetle) may have a good chance of getting a live action movie or show since DC seems to be pushing him big time. Although that would rest on the WB greenlighting it and the WB don't have a good track record with DC characters that arent Batman. On the Marvel side I would like to see White Tiger, either the Hector or Ava Ayala versions get a movie or show.

60.jpg

x1ZOa.jpg

There was talk about a Blue Beetle live action series with Jaime. Don't know what happened to it, but there was some test footage they showed at Comic Con a couple of years back. There is a lot that can be done with Blue Beetle. I just hope that if they ever actually do it they keep him in El Paso, and keep the cast the way it was originally instead of putting him in a predominantly white area to keep from having too many brown people on screen. I also hope that they don't do Paco the way they did in the New 52. Before Paco was a resourceful guy with some smarts, but it seems like they made him into a straight up gangster stereotype in the New 52.

Ava isn't a bad character, but she feels too much like a stereotype. The one where the girl is the smartest and most mature of a group of guys who act like idiots. I'm fine with her being smart and mature, but it seems hollow. It seems that it's all her character has, and even then she doesn't really save the day like the other guys do. Ultimate Spider-man sucks so bad that I stopped watching it, but she was easily one of the only good parts of the show.

Well, you have the Sons of the Tiger, a trio of martial artists with one being asian, one being black, and one being white. The White Tiger was a latino superhero spawned off of them. I always liked him as a character. I think he definitely deserves a treatment and I could always go for another kung fu movie.

I'll second Sons of the Tiger
As far as Marvel and a wide encompassing cast in one shot movie, this would be my dream go-to franchise ...
although not even for that reason, I just love the concept and potential.

sonofthetigermoviecast8.jpg

sonsofthetigermoviefigu.jpg

Yeah it's rooted in 70's era exploitation cliches (look at some of those names, and they wore their ethnic identity on their sleeves so to speak), but damn they set it off and would still kickass today, you just make the characters own it.

Another, would be Daughters of the Dragon plus the two from their heroes for hire stint- http://forums.superherohype.com/showpost.php?p=22471096&postcount=21

Last edited:
I thought Kyle Rayner(SP) Green Lantern was mexican.

Isn't Goku an asian super hero ?

In the live action movie they did a few years back didn't they cast a white guy as Goku?

I thought Kyle Rayner(SP) Green Lantern was mexican.

He's suppose to be half Mexican but his heritage is never brought up so who knows. If he is ever done in live action maybe a Latino should be cast as him?

I'll second Sons of the Tiger
As far as Marvel and a wide encompassing cast in one shot movie, this would be my dream go-to franchise ...
although not even for that reason, I just love the concept and potential.

sonofthetigermoviecast8.jpg

sonsofthetigermoviefigu.jpg

Yeah it's rooted in 70's era exploitation cliches (look at some of those names, and they wore their ethnic identity on their sleeves so to speak), but damn they set it off and would still kickass today, you just make the characters own it.

Another, would be Daughters of the Dragon plus two from their heroes for hire stint- http://forums.superherohype.com/showpost.php?p=22471096&postcount=21

That looks pretty awesome!! I'd watch that opening day. The choice in cast is also pretty good and they totally fit those characters. I wonder if a project like that will ever see the light of day.

There was talk about a Blue Beetle live action series with Jaime. Don't know what happened to it, but there was some test footage they showed at Comic Con a couple of years back. There is a lot that can be done with Blue Beetle. I just hope that if they ever actually do it they keep him in El Paso, and keep the cast the way it was originally instead of putting him in a predominantly white area to keep from having too many brown people on screen. I also hope that they don't do Paco the way they did in the New 52. Before Paco was a resourceful guy with some smarts, but it seems like they made him into a straight up gangster stereotype in the New 52.

Ava isn't a bad character, but she feels too much like a stereotype. The one where the girl is the smartest and most mature of a group of guys who act like idiots. I'm fine with her being smart and mature, but it seems hollow. It seems that it's all her character has, and even then she doesn't really save the day like the other guys do. Ultimate Spider-man sucks so bad that I stopped watching it, but she was easily one of the only good parts of the show.

Yeah I dont know what ever happened to that pilot of Blue Beetle, the test footage looked good from what I remember, maybe he will show up on that Booster Gold show in the works. Something tells me that is exactly what would happen, they'd probably move him to New York or something, which would suck! Hopefully the supporting cast wouldn't change from the original comic.

Well I said go with either Hector or Ava so if Ava isn't as strong of a character then go with Hector. Either way I would like to see Marvel try a White Tiger live action movie.

That looks pretty awesome!! I'd watch that opening day. The choice in cast is also pretty good and they totally fit those characters. I wonder if a project like that will ever see the light of day.
Thanks, yeah I wish something like that from Marvel was in the works, either a movie or TV series, or even a comic series.
Figured with Ava Ayala taking up the mantle of the White Tiger, Hector could be brought back and Join the original Sons of the Tiger, becoming four.

Last edited:
Thanks, yeah I wish something like that from Marvel was in the works, either a movie or TV series, or even a comic series.
Figured with Ava Ayala taking up the mantle of the White Tiger, Hector could be brought back and Join the original Sons of the Tiger, becoming four.

Both of your casts are spot on if you ask me. Alice Eve, Yaya Dacosta, Devon Aoki, and Daniella Alonso (although Natalie Martinez would also fit that role) really fit their roles as the Daughters of the Dragon! Marvel really needs to make this happen!

I doubt DC will have any of their minority Superheroes on the big screen (ie Blue Beetle, Static, Katana, Vixen, Cyborg, Fire) seeeing as how they can't even get their white superheroes on the big screen (ie Wonder Woman, Flash, Aquaman, Captain Marvel), so my money is on Marvel getting theirs to the big screen.

Last edited:
Well I said go with either Hector or Ava so if Ava isn't as strong of a character then go with Hector. Either way I would like to see Marvel try a White Tiger live action movie.

I would go with Hector since he came first, but I think Ava would be a good starting point if they chose her. They just need to write her better than they do in the Ultimate Spider-man cartoon, but that's asking too much since that show is all kinds of bad. lol

Asian

DC: Katana, Samurai (from Superfriends

Marvel: Shang Chi, Starfire

Darkhorse: Shi

Hispanic

DC: El Dorado (from Superfriends), El Matadore (he was in an old issue of Batman once)

Marvel: White Tiger

Darkhorse: ?

Native American

DC: There was a Native American "Batman" type character that I had read about in a Batman comic once, can't remember his name though. Then there's Apache Chief (from Superfriends)

Marvel: The Shaman

Black

DC: Green Lantern, Black Lightning, Thundra

Marvel: Storm, Blade

People have mentioned Jubilee and Blue Beetle, but they've always looked caucasian to me. If they are minorities, what minority are they exactly?

Asian:

Hispanic/Latino:

Marvel: Living Lightning, Sunspot

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Latino_superheroes
Native American:

From Marvel I could think of Talisman, Forge and Thunderbird on my own. However the list of possiblities is much longer:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Native_American_superheroes

Black:
Marvel: Luke Cage (AKA Powerman), Black Panther, Cloak, Falcon, War Machine, Bishop

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_black_superheroes

Arab:
Seems to get the least representation
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Arab_superheroes

Last edited:
I always liked Sunspot! Its a shame he rarely appears on X-Men cartoons or in the movies. I would love to see a live action version of him, he's awesome! I wouldn't know who to cast as him though.

BR-SUNSPOT.jpg

Look as a black/spanish man myself I tell you that sometimes these minority characters just aren't written well at all. When it comes down to it most are full of stereotypes and just classic fight against racism storylines I don't care about.

I think MARVEL could pull off a luke cage & ironfist, buddy, action movie in the sense of like a LETHAL weapon type movie. Id seriously love to see something like that.

Asian:
Hispanic/Latino:
Marvel: Living Lightning, Sunspot

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Latino_superheroes
Native American:
From Marvel I could think of Talisman, Forge and Thunderbird on my own. However the list of possiblities is much longer:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Native_American_superheroes
Black:
Marvel: Luke Cage (AKA Powerman), Black Panther, Cloak, Falcon, War Machine, Bishop

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_black_superheroes
Arab:
Seems to get the least representation
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Arab_superheroes

Adding to Marvel list

Asian -> Jimmy Woo, Amadeus Cho
Native American -> American Eagle
Hispanic -> Black Tarantula
Arab -> Arabian Knight

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"