Where's the talk of other minority superhero movies besides blacks?

Heh heh. You've left out a lot of characters, and the Superfriends characters you mentioned don't appear in the comics.
Well, those were all the ones that I could think of off the top of my head. If you want to add names to my lists, please feel free to do so. And I'm well aware that the characters from Superfriends were never in any of the comics (at least initially, I believe some Superfriends Originals made it into the comics afterwards though). I pretty much added them as filler.
As for Jubilee she has always been Chinese-American. The Blue Beetle you are probably talking about is Ted Kord who was white, but is now dead. The new Blue Beetle is Mexican-American.

Jubilee never looked Chinese to me, she always just looked like a dark haired caucasian to me. Might have helped if I knew her real name, I only ever knew her as Jubilee. Also, I mostly know her from the 1990's cartoon. I never read very many X-Men comics which featured her prominently.

Thanks for clearing up the Blue Beatle confusion though.

Jubilation Lee is her real name.

could of been the darkness who is of Spanish/Irish decent but did'nt tatum get cast in the adaptation lol

Last edited:
American comicbook creators are notorious for projecting their insular upbringing into their work. :csad: People can decry the lack of hispanic, coloured, muslim, or whatever characters, and even when comicbooks include such things, the characters are usually just some parody of a stereotype.

My Danish side gets to look at Thor and cringe. My Kiwi side has even less to care about. Prior to PJ's Lord of the Rings movies nobody had ever heard of a Kiwi character (in Marvel comics anyway) and afterwards I've discovered some laughable caricature of a character with some crap on his face that looks like an artist got a glimpse of a moko, got stoned, then started doodling. :doh:

Apparently most American comicbook creators are convinced that Australian characters should have kangaroo powers or use boomerangs, Irishmen need to be mythological creature-themed (or have luck powers), and East-Asians are predominantly masters of some martial art.

Where am I going with this? Well the lack of minority representation in these comicbook movies is always going to be lacklustre and fundamentally crappy, because much of the source material for them is a steaming pile of poo. :csad:

There is truth in this. Thus far the only minority superheroes who have risen to ANY prominence in mainstream media have been black, and many of them are just sad. The Japanese have their own market and business seems to be booming, although I'm not personally a fan of any manga property. But still it's there. So I don''t think anyone will shed a tear if Sunfire never gets a movie.
Unfortunately I don't see the status quo changing anytime soon.

Unfortunately I don't see the status quo changing anytime soon.

I think you are right. Since its taken so long for comic movies to be filmed in the 1st place & the characters they have to sort thru are mostly white.....i dont see it changing any time soon either.

There is truth in this. Thus far the only minority superheroes who have risen to ANY prominence in mainstream media have been black, and many of them are just sad.

Well there is the new Blue Beetle, who is supposedly getting a show...that's one step.

It's a step. But we have no idea what the outcome will be. If it does well, who knows? But so far we've failed to even get a worthwhile black superhero off the ground.

It's a step. But we have no idea what the outcome will be. If it does well, who knows? But so far we've failed to even get a worthwhile black superhero off the ground.

Unless you like to mention Hancock as one.

It would have been nice if there had been another black character in the movie other than a couple of no-name criminals.

I have 2 movies of the Philipine heroine DARNA. There are more movies as well as TV series and comics.

darna.jpg

I also have 2 movies of SUPERARGO. He's an Italian superhero. I know Italy isn't a minority....but his being a non American should count.

Superargo_El_Gigante_giant_faceless_robots_invincible_Superman_1968_Spanish_poster.jpg

The Mexican hero SANTO was also the star of many movies.

So that's Philippine Wonder Woman and Italian Phantom.....

They actually do call DARNA the Philippine Wonder Woman.

Superargo is unlike the Phantom in that there is no secret idenity....he's always Superargo...but he does do wrestling gigs now and then for charity.

I have 2 movies of the Philipine heroine DARNA. There are more movies as well as TV series and comics.

darna.jpg

I also have 2 movies of SUPERARGO. He's an Italian superhero. I know Italy isn't a minority....but his being a non American should count.

Superargo_El_Gigante_giant_faceless_robots_invincible_Superman_1968_Spanish_poster.jpg

The Mexican hero SANTO was also the star of many movies.
Neither of them look terribly original. But it seems to me that it's only America where superheroes of other nationalities get no love. In their own countries they do just fine. I remember I was in Japan and offhandedly made a comment about how lame I thought Ultraman was-I seriously thought I was gonna get my ass kicked.

I remember I was in Japan and offhandedly made a comment about how lame I thought Ultraman was-I seriously thought I was gonna get my ass kicked.

What would have got your ass kicked is if you brought up the King Kong vs. Godzilla fight, which has 2 different outcomes I believe, and saying Kong kicked that lizards ass easy.

They probably shoulda kicked your ass, but mainly for being you. :p

i liked the original x-force because they had some latino characters as well as others.

Last edited:
If it helps Robert Rodriguez and Danny Trejo said that Machete was a mexican supehero film.

Well, you have the Sons of the Tiger, a trio of martial artists with one being asian, one being black, and one being white. The White Tiger was a latino superhero spawned off of them. I always liked him as a character. I think he definitely deserves a treatment and I could always go for another kung fu movie.

my fault he is half Spanish/half Italian

Like Spain Spanish or Latin American Spanish? If it's Spain Spanish, he's white. If it's Latin American Spanish, well, he's still technically white-ish, but there's social differences there that would classify him as a minority.

in x-force they had
warpath-native america
rictor-mexican
sunspot-brazilian
feral-i think was also mexican
pretty diverse group back then.

In the comics, Elektra is half Japanese. Undfortunately they cast Jennifer Garner in the role, and hired really crappy writers and directors for the movie(s).

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"