Where's the talk of other minority superhero movies besides blacks?

E-Man

Cooler than your daddy.
Reaction score
We have the black superheroes thread, and I post in there quite often. I like it, and there's usually some good talk in there that is probably better than hearing that Marvel is going to "hood" out Black Panther and have Katt Williams starring in his debut film.

Enough of those horrid visions though, I want to know what y'all think about minority heroes that aren't black. The Latino population will someday become the majority in the United States, and it only makes sense that we should have seen a large population well represented.

What about Arabs? Arab/Muslim is the new "Commie" now, so I would definitely love to see a movie about an Arab hero who tears apart those ridiculous stereotypes while also struggling with the pressures of being a hero.

Southeast Asians have a variety of heroes in their culture from their respective countries. We've seen a ton of great movies from China, Japan, South Korea, and Thailand. But what about American movies not using those heroes as stereotypes? I'd love to see us here actually look at a Chinese hero that doesn't know kung-fu.

So what do y'all think? Any news on such heroes? Anyone care to speculate?

Wolverin 2 is being filmed in Japan...IDK if that helps

Maybe one day they'll get around to Shang Chi or the White Tiger. (That's three Hispanic super heroes in one! )........ummmm......maybe American Eagle for the Native Americans?

From DC they're putting together a pilot for Blue Beetle. (Jamie Reyes version)

Blue Beetle could end up being cool. The concept done right could be similar what to the Guyver was.

Shang Chi would be pretty nice. Kung-fu movies aren't that hard to make.

Blue Beetle would be awesome, though technically not feasible, as far as I can tell.

Young Allies?

Well, they're already doing it, so it seems pretty feasible.

I'm hispanic and I'd like to see a hispanic superhero who doesn't speak in broken English like El Dorado from The Superfriends.

The X-Men comics had a Celia Reyes awhile back but I think she vanished from the Marvel universe.

Arabian Knight could be cool stuff. Oded Fehr as the Knight.

Although he's recognized more as a literary and pulp hero despite being conveyed to comic books, The Mask Of Zorro was probably one of the best superhero films I've ever seen with a Latin actor in the lead role. We all know that other Zorro actors in the past were white and Banderas IMO, was the best if not the most ethnically accurate.

Well there was Guy Williams who was half-Spanish.

It was an amazing popcorn romp and yet it couldn't generate 100 million domestically at the box office.

As a kid, I'd always thought that if Bruce Lee had lived, he'd have made an awesome Shang-Chi in a Master Of Kung-Fu movie.

Last edited:
The problem is that the vast majority of superheroes are caucasian. There are very few superheroes of any minority race. In order to get a black, Asian, or hispanic superhero movie made, you'd probably have to make up your own superhero just for the movie. Then if the movie's a success sell off a portion of the rights to the character to DC or Marvel and give them permission to base a comic series off of your character. I mean look at the list of possible minority superheroes that we have to choose from.

Asian

DC: Katana, Samurai (from Superfriends

Marvel: Shang Chi, Starfire

Darkhorse: Shi

Hispanic

DC: El Dorado (from Superfriends), El Matadore (he was in an old issue of Batman once)

Marvel: White Tiger

Darkhorse: ?

Native American

DC: There was a Native American "Batman" type character that I had read about in a Batman comic once, can't remember his name though. Then there's Apache Chief (from Superfriends)

Marvel: The Shaman

Black

DC: Green Lantern, Black Lightning, Thundra

Marvel: Storm, Blade

People have mentioned Jubilee and Blue Beetle, but they've always looked caucasian to me. If they are minorities, what minority are they exactly?

Last edited:
There's the cult underground creator-owned Mexican-American crimefighter "El Gato Negro".

2886141511_95b341a52c_z.jpg

We have the black superheroes thread, and I post in there quite often. I like it, and there's usually some good talk in there that is probably better than hearing that Marvel is going to "hood" out Black Panther and have Katt Williams starring in his debut film.

Enough of those horrid visions though, I want to know what y'all think about minority heroes that aren't black. The Latino population will someday become the majority in the United States, and it only makes sense that we should have seen a large population well represented.

What about Arabs? Arab/Muslim is the new "Commie" now, so I would definitely love to see a movie about an Arab hero who tears apart those ridiculous stereotypes while also struggling with the pressures of being a hero.

Southeast Asians have a variety of heroes in their culture from their respective countries. We've seen a ton of great movies from China, Japan, South Korea, and Thailand. But what about American movies not using those heroes as stereotypes? I'd love to see us here actually look at a Chinese hero that doesn't know kung-fu.

I think you bring up a good point. The problem is I am not aware of a Arab/Muslim hero. Perhaps you can create one & get the ball rolling. Arab also,depending on who you ask, is a definition that differs.

I used to write personal stories a long time ago, so maybe I could write for the hell of it again. I think there's a massive amount of potential for an Arab/Muslim hero to be the start of this generations Watchmen. Just look at how Watchmen reflected the nature of the Cold War. We're somewhat in the same position with how people in the West view Muslims as dangerous people.

If you have a problem with it do what Ryan Choi did and bring it up with the Director of Human Resources...

I think his name is Slade Wilson or something...

Deathstroke kneels before Todd....and Deadpool!

*watches as this thread turns into a Deathstroke vs. Deadpool debate*

Apparently from the casting calls I've seen as of late, if the hero is anything but white or black, they call for "any race", as if the asian or latino is just there as a "maybe."

There's the cult underground creator-owned Mexican-American crimefighter "El Gato Negro".

2886141511_95b341a52c_z.jpg
Yeah, Richard Dominguez is a great guy to know and his comic is pretty solid; at least he's making an effort to put something out there for people to give a try. His character also makes guest appearances in the syndicated comic strip Balto sometimes.

Apparently from the casting calls I've seen as of late, if the hero is anything but white or black, they call for "any race", as if the asian or latino is just there as a "maybe."

I've seen the same. I dont think Hollywood cares about white or black,as long as the movie makes money.

The problem is that the vast majority of superheroes are caucasian. There are very few superheroes of any minority race. In order to get a black, Asian, or hispanic superhero movie made, you'd probably have to make up your own superhero just for the movie. Then if the movie's a success sell off a portion of the rights to the character to DC or Marvel and give them permission to base a comic series off of your character. I mean look at the list of possible minority superheroes that we have to choose from.

Asian

DC: Katana, Samurai (from Superfriends

Marvel: Shang Chi, Starfire

Darkhorse: Shi

Hispanic

DC: El Dorado (from Superfriends), El Matadore (he was in an old issue of Batman once)

Marvel: White Tiger

Native American

DC: There was a Native American "Batman" type character that I had read about in a Batman comic once, can't remember his name though. Then there's Apache Chief (from Superfriends)

Marvel: The Shaman

Black

DC: Green Lantern, Black Lightning, Thundra

Marvel: Storm, Blade

People have mentioned Jubilee and Blue Beetle, but they've always looked caucasian to me. If they are minorities, what minority are they exactly?

Heh heh. You've left out a lot of characters, and the Superfriends characters you mentioned don't appear in the comics.

As for Jubilee she has always been Chinese-American. The Blue Beetle you are probably talking about is Ted Kord who was white, but is now dead. The new Blue Beetle is Mexican-American.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"