Is Batman And Robin the worst comic book film ever made?

Solid

Civilian
Reaction score
This is the film that made Batman a cartoony laughing stock, with so many silly and dumb plot elements such as the so-called "Bat Nipples" or "Bat card" and were just awful, for one of the coolest superhero in cinema, whether you think other superheroes had lows such as The Amazing Spider-Man 2, Hellboy reebot and others i can't find a superhero film as insulting and bad as this one.

How some people can find this film good, amazes me.

No. It's definitely the worst Batman film released since 1989 but at least it can be viewed as a comedy. There's plenty of worse comic book films out there. It wasn't even the worst comic book film released that year.

Steelposter.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah, it’s awful but I feel like there have been worse CBMs, even if some are better from a technical standpoint.

Nope. And honestly, even by the year 2000, it wasn't the worst, not with movies like Steel around. There are plenty of more recent movies that are much worse, like Catwoman, Batman vs Superman, Suicide Squad, the Trank Fantastic Four. I'd say that, at its worst, Batman and Robin is merely Justice League or Man of Steel bad, it doesn't hit the true depths of crap.

In my view, absolutely YES. For what the character is and stands for, and it's original concepts, yes, without a shadow of doubt.

The only character in B&R that's truly bastardized is Bane. Every other character in that movie endured the cheesy Batman comics of the '50s and '60s as well as the Adam West show, so the campiness was nothing new. Freeze and Ivy are campy to begin with, much like many Batman villains. But Bane was introduced in the comics only a few years prior and to have him go from a cold and calculating threat to a mindless brute henchman was a choice that was only made to shoehorn in a popular new character any way they could.

Last edited:
I always find it hilarious when people say B&R doesn't do Batman justice when they ignore the sillier and campier side of Batman that's always been valid in the comics for decades before Frank Miller showed up.

One can handle the Adam West et al tv serial for knowing itself for what it was, B&R is simply just bollocks.

Not even close. It's not good but it's entertaining in a bad, comedic way. I'd rather watch Batman and Robin over Suicide Squad, Fan4stic, Catwoman...

One can handle the Adam West et al tv serial for knowing itself for what it was, B&R is simply just bollocks.
Batman and Robin knew what it was too, so did Batman Forever even though that was nowhere near as campy as B&R. The mission statement for the Schumacher films was to go lighter than the Burton films as a knee-jerk reaction to parents complaining about how dark Batman Returns was.

I mean there's a world of difference between lighter and what B&R ended up being though. Sticking with the tone of Forever would have been delightful tbh.

It's good for a laugh. I actually think it's more enjoyable to watch than Forever, which is not as funny and stuck in this shadow of the better movie that it could've been.

Yeah in some ways I disliked Forever more because it attempts to have it both ways and be dark like the Burton films and campy like the TV series. And the result is a movie that just feels as awkward as Val Kilmer looks when delivering his lines. Honestly, the only thing that saves that movie a little bit is Jim Carrey’s fun performance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"