Is it easier to make movies about comics rather than Manga

The Overlord

Superhero
Reaction score
Since speed racer and iron man have come out around the same time and according to the tomato rater, Iron Man is far better, this leaves me with one question:

Is it easier to make movies about comics rather than Manga? I think so and there some factors why:

1) Comics are based on American themes, Manga is based on Japanese themes and Japaneses themes may not strike a cord with the American general audience, there is a whole translation issue that doesn't exist with adapting comics

2) Casting, most comic book characters are American and look like normal people, so casting is easy. Most manga characters are Japaneses, but they look nothing like Japanese people, so casting is hard, do you cast white super stars and give them Japanese names or do you cast Asian actors, considering there aren't a lot of Asian super stars in Hollywood.

3) Budget: Many popular American comics are more down to earth than the normally more fantasy based manga, which makes them easier to put on screen. Consider Iron Man and Gundam, Iron Man has one or two guys in humanoid armor, vs. Gundam which features several giant mechs, which one do think costs less to bring to the screen.

Now its not impossible to maker a good movie out of a manga, but is way harder and if the upcoming dragon ball movie is any indication, the results can very bad.

Depends on the manga. The more down to earth ones could work on a international level as proven by Old Boy. But overall the feel is that comic will have more success in reaching a wider audience.

Manga is definitely a more complicated transfer -- culturally and realistically.

I also think most comic book fans are more forgiving regarding changes needed to make something work on the silver screen, than otakus.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"