Is It Ever Acceptable for a Man to Hit a Woman?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm trying to imagine watching something like that...and I wouldn't even know what to say. :woot: If no one said anything or reported it... I would guess it was okay, but that's frigging HILARIOUS! It sounds like something from a movie.
hahah are you kidding! everday seeing stuff in the weird news thread or on television i have never seen the stuff i see in real life to even comes close to movies! real life is the best fiction!:woot:
i grew up to have respect for others, women, elderlly people all that, but things are different. i saw these 2 chicks beat the living crap outta another chick at a SADE concert! SADE!! i mean maybe at Marylin Manson i can see, but to be brawling to "smooth operator!" that's crazy!
i dont go around doing that as it seemed like some people were trying to imply. after all my mom is a woman!Any man who goes around doing that is low, but like Warhammer said. if you come at me like a woman i will open the door for you, but if come after to hit me in the head with a frying pan i will treat you as some thing else! Nobody should ever lay their hand on no-one. which is why i ventured into this thread in the 1st place. there's this whole talk of you cant hit a female yet we bomb the crap, killing people in another country. the very fabric of American society is built on violence! just look at the old James bond flicks! He was slapping, twisting the arms of alot of girls and they would fall in love with him.theres some contradictory stuff going on. this whole i am suppose to just sit there and take it went out when women stop wearing pearls and cooking dinner like in *"Ozzie and Harriet" haha

* old televison sitcom in case any body didnt now

Last edited:
This reminds me of a clip I remember seeing on YouTube years ago. It was from a game show from India called Dadagiri where this woman in what looked like a dominatrix outfit was yelling at these two guys and one of them said something smart-assed to her and she yelled at him again and again he said something smart-assed; so, she slapped him (which apparently was unscripted) and he slapped her back.

After he did that, the host and a few other crew members attacked the guy on camera.

So is it okay for a man to hit a woman, like others have said only in self defense where she's threatening the man. But at the same time, I hate when a woman purposely eggs on a guy to hit her knowing that chances are he won't; and some women like to use that to their advantage.

And if you do by chance hit a woman in self defense, you always have to deal with either one guy or a group of guys who'll automatically come to her rescue if they don't know what's really going on they just see guy hitting woman and it's white knight to the rescue.

wow what a thread.

Self defense is self defense against any body but at the same time people as a whole should be trying to avoid violence as a whole in the first place

It's all about potential injury.

If a woman punches you in the stomach and you barely feel it, hitting her back isn't about protecting yourself, it's about anger and revenge.

You shouldn't hit a woman for revenge or out of anger, only for survival.

I completely agree with your last sentence and apply it across the board and I think we both agree that self-defense is the only acceptable situation in which to hit anyone.

My ex used to hit me on the shoulder as hard as she could when she got angry. I never hit her back, but like I said she is now my ex.

Other posts here remind me of when Dr. Phil said that when a man hits a woman, it's abuse, while when a woman hits a man, it's a relationship issue due to the potential for injury.

I fail to understand how, no matter who's being assaulted, they should think anything other than "How can I get out of this situation?" and failing that, "How can I defend myself?"

A lot of people hold the position that a man should think, "I'm being assualted and as punches, kicks, and whatever rain upon me, I have to take care of this person who intends to harm me and see that I don't injure her, because she is a woman, even though she wants to hurt me and is currently doing so."

If a man attempts to strangle a woman to death, we charge him with attempted murder, and if a woman attempts to strangle a man to death, we charge her with the same, we don't say, "Well, her weak girly fingers probably couldn't have injured him too severely so let's just let her go with a warning...."

It's kind of sad how many people are so against violence here on a superhero website.

I think it's a good thing. It shows most of us are capable of seperating fantasy from reality.

It's kind of sad how many people are so against violence here on a superhero website.

Goes to show that violent entertainment doesn't equal violent behavior among relatively sane people. Take that, video game party poopers. (Memories of the Mortal Kombat fiasco dance through my head).

According to the poll it looks like most superhero fans think it's okay to hit a woman.

It must be a heroic thing to do.

According to the poll it looks like most superhero fans think it's okay to hit a woman.

It must be a heroic thing to do.

You know it's not that cut and dry. You're being purposely inflammatory.

If a man attempts to strangle a woman to death, we charge him with attempted murder, and if a woman attempts to strangle a man to death, we charge her with the same, we don't say, "Well, her weak girly fingers probably couldn't have injured him too severely so let's just let her go with a warning...."

can you think of an example of this, in real life? honest to god, i have never heard of a female strangler. strangulation is a rare crime in itself. but a female on male strangler?

Well if he asks nicely...

Yes, only in self defense. Gender is irrelevant in those situations.

i got into superhero books for the escapism. i prefer seeing violence being stopped/prevented. and i became a fan of Ant-Man (Scott Lang) because he wasn't the one (Hank Pym) that hit a woman.

Last edited:
You might want to specify which Ant-Man because one is famous for it. :p

We also add context to it when we vote.

Called it!

The poll needed more options because it looks bad no matter how many post you read.

I'm curious how many would've voted "only when your life is in mortal danger". Most replies simply use the broad term "self-defense" but that could include a woman slapping or pushing you.

Usually the response is self defense equal to threat.

The poll needed more options because it looks bad no matter how many post you read.

I'm curious how many would've voted "only when your life is in mortal danger". Most replies simply use the broad term "self-defense" but that could include a woman slapping or pushing you.
That's funny because no one except you and a few others "appalled" by it have actually stated that. Everyone else who said yes had a much higher threshold than your definition.

In this thread, sarcasm and sincerity are lost. Not when it comes to some members just shy of accusing others of being abusive misogynists. So it is easy to mistake a sarcastic comment for an honest one. Just look at the past several pages.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"