Is Marvel biting off more than it can chew?

KangConquers

Purple Kang, Purple Kang
Reaction score
Just today the Spidey writer was announced...good thing...2009 release date...good...no bad thing.

I just thought about this and it terrifies me; we are about to see the biggest industry bust ever. Think about it:

Wolverine
Thor
Spider-Man
Captain America

IN ONE SUMMER. The Average consumer will be so tired of comic book movies, and will make the decision to see only 2 or 3 of the above, thus possibly dooming marvel films. Between outside contractors and marvels on movies, and add in DC's, and you have a huge chance for an industry bust in 2009.

Am I being paranoid? please say yes...I want Marvel films to succeed.

Marvel has no say in when Spidy or Wolv get released. They sold the rights to studios. But I'm not worried, if they are good movies they are good movies.

Spiderman is Sony. Wolverine is Fox.

The only movies Marvel is in charge is Thor and Captain America, and we know how behind schedules they are in making them.

It depends. If the movies are good they're good. Most of Marvel's films outside of X-men, Spider-man, and Blade seem to suck, not to me though just repeating the popular opinion. We'll see if Ironman can be one of the first to step up to their level.

Well I have seen a 2010 date for Thor as well as a 2009, so MAYBE Thor will be later with the rewrite and all.

Come to think of it, months ago Marvel did plan more films than it should. Ok on top of my head: Nick Fury, Black Widow, She-Hulk, Ant Man, Namor, Iron Fist, Luke Cage, Black Panther, Dr. Strange, Deadpool. Some of these properties are just fine if relegated into TV series or not having motion pictures at all.

Doing Iron Man, Hulk, and Thor bring Marvel back to reality. Seems that Marvel concentrates more in just getting Cap off the ground than giving the other smaller properties green lights. Thumbs up from me.

Until they actually start production there is no guarentee when these films will come out. And I doubt the different studios could arrange to have all these films out in one summer.

I still don't see sm4 getting a 2009 release date.

Seems like a bit much all in one summer.
But it somehow doesn't seem likely these films could be done so soon, just a year an a half for Thor to be released, almost seems rushed.

But to answer your question, I think if quality prevails, and they are at least spread out properly, people will see them.

Man... I wish I was a kid... These tikes will be ****ting their pants with this super-hero overload in the next couple of summers!

Like Rockwell said, Marvel has no bearing on Spider-Man or Wolverine movies. They're only releasing two a year and can't control what other film companies do. But yes, that does seem to be a bit much considering they'll all be released within the span of 3-4 months in the summer.

That's not the point.

I know Marvel has no bearing on the outside projects.

At the same time, it's going to be marvel characters competing against other marvel characters. Not a good sign for Marvel, especially given how well the X-Films and Spidey have done.

If Thor or Cap bomb due to a head to head with Spidey or Wolverine, it'd be BIG trouble for marvel films.

Also...when I say industry bust, I'm just talking about people getting sick of super hero movies; I mean, including DC ones, there are like nearly a dozen set for 2009. You guys don't think that'll hurt the superhero film genre?

Come to think of it, months ago Marvel did plan more films than it should. Ok on top of my head: Nick Fury, Black Widow, She-Hulk, Ant Man, Namor, Iron Fist, Luke Cage, Black Panther, Dr. Strange, Deadpool. Some of these properties are just fine if relegated into TV series or not having motion pictures at all.

Doing Iron Man, Hulk, and Thor bring Marvel back to reality. Seems that Marvel concentrates more in just getting Cap off the ground than giving the other smaller properties green lights. Thumbs up from me.

The Advantage of small properties is that they don't have to come out during the summer; you can do Ant-Man in the spring, or Nick Fury in the late summer.

The Big block busters have to be done in Summer.

That's why I think it would be advantageous for marvel to do one Big Block buster, and two smaller properties a year instead of two major blockbusters.

Yeah, because All of those are going to actually get made:whatever:

Yeah, because All of those are going to actually get made:whatever:

Eventually they all will. I don't think the plan is for them to all be made right away; I think Marvel Films is hoping to establish itself in the long run, and that would include smaller characters in the plan.

I definitely see Nick Fury, Ant-Man, Black Panther, and Dr. Strange being made. Iron Fist and Luke Cage are possibilites. The rest I'm not so sure about.

Well you know sooner or later Avengers will be made, seeing that 4 of the characters will have their own movies by 2010.
So Nick Fury and Ant-Man are in for sure.

Well you know sooner or later Avengers will be made, seeing that 4 of the characters will have their own movies by 2010.
So Nick Fury and Ant-Man are in for sure.

Yes...that's why I'm worried about bombs.

My #1 future film is Avengers...I'm just so pumped for it. It has to happen.

Also...when I say industry bust, I'm just talking about people getting sick of super hero movies; I mean, including DC ones, there are like nearly a dozen set for 2009. You guys don't think that'll hurt the superhero film genre?

It might get a bit repetitive after a while, but if they are done right it shouldn't be too problematic. There doesn't seem to be that many awe inspiring movies coming out of Hollywood, the last decade has had an insane amount of so-so remakes, and a lot of the comedies that come out suck.

It might get a bit repetitive after a while, but if they are done right it shouldn't be too problematic. There doesn't seem to be that many awe inspiring movies coming out of Hollywood, the last decade has had an insane amount of so-so remakes, and a lot of the comedies that come out suck.

Fair enough.

Don't get me wrong. if Wolverine, Thor, Cap, and Spider-Man all came out...all were 4 star movies, and all did great in the box office, I'd be thrilled.

But I don't see that happening if all four are in the same summer.

This sort of sparked my memory a bit:

Didn't 2003 see a lot of comic book movies all come out pretty near one another?

I remember seeing Daredevil in February that year, X2 in May, and then Hulk in June.
And I may be wrong, but didn't another comic film like Hellboy come out too.

I don't, I just remember a lot of comic movies that year.

Sure, one can definitly debate the success rate of having all of those comic movies in such a short time span, but those movies did pretty well.

Plus, I'm sort of of the mind that the comic book genre has a lot of variety in it, just like any other genre. And that is why, based on the differences that each comic-book property brings, the genre should never really flounder.

Just my opinion.

This sort of sparked my memory a bit:

Didn't 2003 see a lot of comic book movies all come out pretty near one another?

I remember seeing Daredevil in February that year, X2 in May, and then Hulk in June.

and only 5 years later are we finally getting sequels to the Hulk and Hellboy. Daredevil is MIA.

The folks at mighty marvel need to be smart. scheduling a 180 million dollar budget movie next to spider-man could be suicide.

It's going to be very tricky to pick good dates for Thor AND Cap in the same summer that we have Spider-Man and Wolverine.

Your not crazy,you notice that.It looks like theaters are going to release the films in hopes people will see one after another.I heard that people are starting to get tired of superhero films,if this is true..then only one or two might be seen.Think about it.

We should be more worried about all these sword and sandals pics coming out. Beowulf is coming. Now there's a new Conan film. There's bound to be another Hercules film next, or something of the like.

I'm not too worried. I think Spider-Man 4 will end up getting pushed back until 2010, and I can't see Captain America seeing the light of day any earlier than 2010, either

I say there's no way Spider-man 4 makes a 2009 release date. Unless it is severely rushed, it will be pushed back further.

You think studios would learn what happens when you over-saturate the market and blow your loads early like what happened this year. Why the rush? Spider-man 4 doesn't need to come out in 2009.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"