The Winter Soldier Is the movie going to boost the GN sales considerably?

Comicbookguy339

Sidekick
Reaction score
http://www.newsarama.com/9507-walking-dead-vs-avengers-and-the-comics-sales-carryover.html

A fan of the Avengers movie could not walk in and find a place that meshes comic and film," DiBernardo said. "Marvel movies, whether being Marvel produced or not, never have a comic book that closely matches the movie."
We sold more Watchmen trades in the year leading up to the Watchmen movie than we sold in our years prior to that," said Ralph DiBernardo, owner of Jetpack Comics LLC in Rochester, N.H. "It is much easier to sell the print version of a single story than it is to sell the print version of an ongoing character."

Following the logic above I'm thinking that this might be the first time in a while when a Marvel/DC comic book movie will actually get people to pick up the GN. Anyone agree (or disagree)?

I don't think so, myself, but who can really say.

Watchmen was close to the comic. No Marvel movies has. I don't think CATWS will be the first, either.

Once the MCU's close to the mainstream Marvel comics sales are probably going to increase, since then both universes will be so close that a new reader will think he's reading the following adventures of the characters.

Comic book sales aren't being boosted by the films because the books Marvel puts out aren't very good. People who are moved to look at books at Barnes & Noble are going to take a glance at the content and put them right back on the rack.

That is what my brothers and I have done, and we were longtime Marvel fans as kids who love the genre and the characters. All of us gave up on comic books in the mid 90s because we didn't like what was being produced. The movies had a chance at luring us back, but the stuff Marvel is doing is pretty gawdawful. If they can't get people like us back, who've read thousands of comic books over the years, they have little chance of finding new readers from among the GA.

I think long term sales depend on how close the film is to the GN .
And we dont know the answer to that yet .

Comic book sales aren't being boosted by the films because the books Marvel puts out aren't very good. People who are moved to look at books at Barnes & Noble are going to take a glance at the content and put them right back on the rack.

That is what my brothers and I have done, and we were longtime Marvel fans as kids who love the genre and the characters. All of us gave up on comic books in the mid 90s because we didn't like what was being produced. The movies had a chance at luring us back, but the stuff Marvel is doing is pretty gawdawful. If they can't get people like us back, who've read thousands of comic books over the years, they have little chance of finding new readers from among the GA.

Aw, I don't know what you were picking up, but Wood's X-Men series is great, Aaron's Thor series is fantastic, DeConnick's rocking Avengers Assemble and I'm really enjoying the hell out of Captain Marvel. I've just started back in with Hickman's Avengers and New Avengers, which is rather blowing my mind. I'm holding out until the issues are released on Marvel Unlimited, but... man it's really hard, especially with all the great stuff I'm hearing about how Infinity is going.

Fraction/Aja's Hawkeye has, what I think, is probably the finest ongoing in the Big Two right now, period, surpassed only by Saga out of Image. And everything Waid's doing for Marvel with the Hulk and especially Daredevil has been pretty amazing. Gillen and McKelvie are kicking major ass with Young Avengers too.

I'm slow picking up Marvel issues, but everything I've been reading is really pretty great. I'm kind of inclined to think that the movies don't really sell the ongoing series very well because they're really hard to get into for a new reader. Identifiable story arcs, like the Winter Soldier, might be easier for interested readers to pick up in TPB form. I'm sure Marvel will be repackaging the Brubaker run to make it easy for new readers to purchase it.

ROFL. The mid-90s were the period that saw, The Crossing, The Clone Saga and Heroes Reborn which drove Marvel to bankruptcy. There's been a lot since then that's been of incredibly high quality (minus Chuck Austen's work on the Avengers, X-Men and Captain America) I'd recommend Matt Fraction's Iron Man run along with Brubaker's Captain America.

I found myself getting into comics a bit more than I had in the past. Before IM1 and IM2, I had maybe read or glanced at 10 comics in the previous 10 years so my Marvel knowledge was pretty basic. Now, since 2011, I've read quite a few that I wouldn't have otherwise been reading.

Unfortunately, with mainstream superheroes, movies have no effect on the GN sales because quite simply there are just too many books for people to have a clear idea of what to read if they're interested in the characters. Watchmen's sales rose because there's only one watchmen book (Well, there used to be), Walking Dead's sales are climbing because there's only one walking dead ongoing book. The same goes for Kick Ass, Scott Pilgrim, 300, Sin City etc. etc. If people have a clear directive of what to read if they're interested in Spider-man or the Avengers or the X-men then you would see a sales increase, but there are so many books that they wouldn't even know where to begin.

There were reports after Marvel announced CA 2 would be The Winter Soldier, trade paperbacks of that arc spiked on Amazon shortly afterward. With them saying it would follow similar parts of that arc, people went out to get it. So it typically only shows a spike shortly after a movie title is released or just before it releases in theaters, but never really long-term.

Are you guys kidding me? Of course it's gonna boost sales. It's gonna be placed on front shelves to the masses and once more people hear of the movie, more people are gonna want to buy it.

It's the same deal with Watchmen. Those were put in the front of Barnes and Noble and Borders stores.

I've never read the story. Or any Captain America story, for that matter. After that trailer, I'm buying the **** out the new hardcover release of TWS.

No idea what the general public does, though.

I certainly hope so. Brubaker, Epting, and Guice need some royalties! Plus if it gets more people reading their GREAT run, all the better.

It doesn't help either when the comics started in order to catch the views of the movies end up being terrible or following characters or concepts not from the movies that would actually not work there, see for example the new Batman/ Superman comic released after the announcement of the movie, supposed to catch people hyped for that film, and instead of giving us a story with those character that we could actually believe could be used as inspiration for the movie, they started it with a story arc about mysticism and magic, fresh with Catwoman being controled and some other characters nobody cares.

Movie's don't boost sales when they're loosely based on various arcs
and it's the regular ongoings that don't see any boost
for instance, "Captain America" will probably not sell too much more after the movie

Something like WS, where its self contained and available collected, however could very well see an increase
s'why walking dead sells like gangbusters after season finales, its easy to collect without referencing wikipedia or something to find out which issues you need

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"