First Avenger Is anyone afraid that TFA:CA is going to end up being deceptively mediocre in the end

S.A.A.D.

Superhero
Reaction score
Like I mean right after the movie is over,it leaves you thinking what? That's all she wrote?

I'm still not a big Cap fan and yet,I feel that this movie should be one of the really good comic book movies in the end,and one of the more unique comic book movies.

Yes. Being a huge Cap fan, that is definately a fear. Looks to be shaping up up nicely tho. It's got all the right puzzle pieces, just hope Johnston can put it together correctly. Ditto the Thor flick.

Honestly,to me everything seems pretty good.

Of course that is a concern, but it is irrational to to worry about that this early in the game...especially when all indications seem to point that Marvel & co. are making all the right moves so far.

They are,but something or somethings could go magically wrong,er the translation I mean.

They are,but something or somethings could go magically wrong,er the translation I mean.

The only thing that would really make me lose my $#!+, is if they announced that Venom was to be shoe-horned in as another main Villain.....:awesome:

That was my fear for Ironman when I saw that JF was directing. I mean this was the same guy that did Elf and Zathura.... how could he do Ironman justice... and he nailed it! My only concern for Cap currently is that Johnson seems to have a bit of distain for Super Heroes and I hope that doesn't translate onto film like it comes across in the interviews

I think with any film based on a comic book character that is widely recognized there will be a fear that the character will not be given justice. But, looking at Marvel's film track record as of recently, their films have been quite favorable. I think the director knows what he's up against so chances are the film may turn out to be really good.

I think with any film based on a comic book character that is widely recognized there will be a fear that the character will not be given justice. But, looking at Marvel's film track record as of recently, their films have been quite favorable. I think the director knows what he's up against so chances are the film may turn out to be really good.

That was my fear for Ironman when I saw that JF was directing. I mean this was the same guy that did Elf and Zathura.... how could he do Ironman justice... and he nailed it! My only concern for Cap currently is that Johnson seems to have a bit of distain for Super Heroes and I hope that doesn't translate onto film like it comes across in the interviews

I don't get that vibe,but would like to hear your side of the argument.

Is anyone afraid that TFA:CA is going to end up being deceptively mediocre in the end?

With Joe Johnston directing, it's a distinct possibility.

Well first of all, Elf is modern Christmas classic. And if you disbelieve that, it is a good film. Zathura was very unique and creative. Also a good movie.

As for my belief, yes, I am fearful but I'm like that for all superhero films. And JJ's filmography isn't bad! Jurassic Park III, while not great, was a fun ride and has memorable scenes(ex: Bird Cage). Finally, I think Captain America will be BETTER than Thor.

That's right. It's going to be the opposite imo from 2008. Thor, as expected be amazing, will be good but Cap will surprise everyone.

I agree with Spideyfan, Cap may come as suprise to everyone once it releases. With the information that has been released in regards to the film so far, it seems like its taking steps in the right direction. Whoa....now that I think of it, the 90's version contained the same thing with the exception the Red Skull was only seen as Red Skull for like 5 minutes, and there was no bookends or Howling Commandos

Well first of all, Elf is modern Christmas classic. And if you disbelieve that, it is a good film. Zathura was very unique and creative. Also a good movie.

As for my belief, yes, I am fearful but I'm like that for all superhero films. And JJ's filmography isn't bad! Jurassic Park III, while not great, was a fun ride and has memorable scenes(ex: Bird Cage). Finally, I think Captain America will be BETTER than Thor.

That's right. It's going to be the opposite imo from 2008. Thor, as expected be amazing, will be good but Cap will surprise everyone.
Judging from the 'trailer'....Thor looks like it will be ponderous and overbearingly blustery in a boring way....so one can only hope that CA will be better and at least a little fun.

I don't get that vibe,but would like to hear your side of the argument.

JJ mentioned that he didn't want to do a "Super Hero" movie and that he took on Cap and probably only would have taken Cap because he has no powers. He is the perfect human... but nothing more. He's not going around flying or melting things with his eyes or throwing tanks (I'm paraphrasing here)

He also mentioned that he didn't like the original suit and was happy they found away to get it in the movie for the fans (USO angle) while they came up with a more believable, sturdy uniform for the majority of the movie.

While he is saying some things I agree with... there is a hint of distain for the medium (superhero movies and comics)

Doesn't CA have super-human strength, though?

Near superhuman strength... he's the perfect human...so not quite Super human

Ah.

But in terms of 'perfect human'....we're also talking (chemically enhanced) as well, no? What message would that be sending?

JJ mentioned that he didn't want to do a "Super Hero" movie and that he took on Cap and probably only would have taken Cap because he has no powers. He is the perfect human... but nothing more. He's not going around flying or melting things with his eyes or throwing tanks (I'm paraphrasing here)

He also mentioned that he didn't like the original suit and was happy they found away to get it in the movie for the fans (USO angle) while they came up with a more believable, sturdy uniform for the majority of the movie.

While he is saying some things I agree with... there is a hint of distain for the medium (superhero movies and comics)

So despite Cap having special abilities,he(Joe Johnston) chose to do the movie anyways,about a comic book superhero. :doh:

He is automatically on a another hand an idiot for that,I don't care if he has to make a living afterall.

But Cap is not "Super Human" he's the perfect human... there is the difference. I think he just didn't want to do Spiderman or Superman or the Hulk... but a story about someone he thinks could be realistic and not far fetched (maybe)

But Cap is not "Super Human" he's the perfect human... there is the difference.

Was he considered the 'perfect human' before he was enhanced with drugs from the government? Or did he earn that distinction and abilities on his own by his own will and hard work? Or does it matter whether he was manufactured or self-made when talking about 'perfect' in this context?

He had the perfect spirit and amounts of grit and determination to sign up for the experiment and then survive it. He is now the perfect human physical specimen and his spirit and soul make him the perfect human (IMO)

He had the perfect spirit and amounts of grit and determination to sign up for the experiment and then survive it. He is now the perfect human physical specimen and his spirit and soul make him the perfect human (IMO)

There we go. :up: So he's not super-human, but he's as strong and healthy/durable as any man with his physique can possibly be. Does he have to maintain that shape by working out and dieting right, or will he just be that no matter what? Because if the latter, then that kinda' does make him super-human in a way, in terms of having an unnatural advantage. Does he age?

I'm not that familiar with the comic/character, but does he ever resent the govt. for what they did to him like Wolverine might, or does he fully accept that it was his choice et al?

Last edited:
He does have to work out.... and he does it all the time! While I don't think he would shrink back to a 98 lbs weakling if he didn't... he might not be as quick or strong if he didn't constantly work out to stay in top shape... just like any other athlete.

I don't think he ever resented the government for making him what he is... he volunteered as the only way to get into WWII. Before the experiment he was WAAAY to frail to join the army (despite many attempts to do so)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"