Sequels Isn’t it weird Cap hasn’t said “Avengers Assemble” yet?

Silvermoth

Krakoan native
Reaction score
Do you reckon Chris Evans just really really doesn’t want to do it? I’m sure that’s not the case and they just want it to happen at the biggest moment possible.

It would be a shame for Chris Evans’ cap to move on without ever saying it. What would be your dream context for him yelling “Avengers Assemble”?

Yes it is and that fake out near the end of Ultron is very nearly the worst thing about this mess of a film

I'm sure Evans says it in the next one

I'm pretty sure Ultron actually teased "Avengers Assemble!" twice. The first time, it was Tony as he says "Avengers! ...time to work for a living" when he's flying back to the Vibranium core after Rhodey shows up to help. And then of course, Cap getting cut off at the end xD

Though Cap's is the more obvious bait.

I'd like to see it. And I think it's a fair bet it's coming. It's a strange thing to find context for. If the Avengers have already suited up, they are probably already assembled. So it's like, uh. Why didn't you just say, "Let's get on the Quinjet?"

But I would welcome the well-planned moment where Cap shouting it at the top of his lungs before charging into battle fits. That would be awesome.

It's not because it just means to mobilize how complicated can it be to write for? It's just not liking the line by the screen writers.

Yeah, I'm just saying I'd probably do something like having Thanos striking down the majority of the Avengers, going into a monologue about how right he is before beginning to charge an Earth-destroying beam. To which Cap responds while springing back to his feet, "AVENGERS ASSEMBLE!!!!"

and then they charge at him and kick his ass back to the quantum realm.

I'm pretty sure Ultron actually teased "Avengers Assemble!" twice. The first time, it was Tony as he says "Avengers! ...time to work for a living" when he's flying back to the Vibranium core after Rhodey shows up to help. And then of course, Cap getting cut off at the end xD

Though Cap's is the more obvious bait.

Joss Whedon is pure evil.

I don't think it is weird. It would be cool to hear but really just fan service line.

"Assemble" only means something to the part of the audience that read the comics. It is not the normal thing an English speaker would say as a battle cry. For a US Army/SSR vet to call in two USAF veterans among others would have been weird. Now maybe if assemble was seeded like "copy that" had been with various S.H.I.E.L.D Agents it might work with a general movie audience

"Assemble" only means something to the part of the audience that read the comics. It is not the normal thing an English speaker would say as a battle cry. For a US Army/SSR vet to call in two USAF veterans among others would have been weird. Now maybe if assemble was seeded like "copy that" had been with various S.H.I.E.L.D Agents it might work with a general movie audience

Cap's shield magically coming back to him after every throw only means something to the part of the audience that read comics. Thor's hammer coming back to his hand whenever he wants only means something to the part of the audience that read comics. A guy with a bow and arrow being relevant on a team with a god on it is only means something to the part of the audience that read comics.

I could go on all day. Point being, your argument is ridiculous. They've been faithful to the comics in ways that are far more ridiculous that non-comic reading fans still loved and embraced. Even "Hulk smash" makes less sense than Cap yelling out "Avengers Assemble".

Hulk being relatively mindless with a limited vocabulary is a very different thing than an educated man putting a phrase together which runs counter to how people speak but allows an AA on cover art

Hulk being relatively mindless with a limited vocabulary is a very different thing than an educated man putting a phrase together which runs counter to how people speak but allows an AA on cover art

Nice way to skip over all the examples except one.

So I'll keep going then...

An aircraft carrier that can fly only means something to the part of the audience that read comics.
A girl who only has martial arts and handguns being on a team with a guy in armour who can blow up tanks with ease only means something to the part of the audience that read comics.
Loki wearing a helmet with giant horns on it only means something to the part of the audience that read comics.
Having a guy survive in a block of ice in the arctic for over half a century only means something to the part of the audience that read comics.

To quote Cap, I can do this all day.

Again, point being, your argument is ridiculous and void.

Last edited:
Funny, isn't weird then that when taking the comics to the screen they cut the scene before Captain Rogers could call for the Avengers to fall in and let the reader fill in assemble.

Funny, isn't weird then that when taking the comics to the screen they cut the scene before Captain Rogers could call for the Avengers to fall in and let the reader fill in assemble.

This is your best response then to my point that proves your argument was nonsensical?

Ok, let's do this all over again...
-They could have just shown the aircraft carrier in the water and at the end just show the engines start, implying it would fly to comics fans.
-They could have just shown an agent named Clint and at the end you see him reach for a weapon that he says is his speciality.
-They could have shown Cap using his shield like everyone in every real battle ever where a shield was used, by holding it and blocking things. Then at the very end they could have shown him about to throw it.

You can't just accept that they've done all of these things that are utterly ridiculous by real world logic and that normal movie goers knew nothing about, but then say "Oh, but THIS TIME! THIS TIME it wouldn't have made sense to anyone but comic readers!"
You have no logic or reason to back up that nonsensical argument.

This is your best response then to my point that proves your argument was nonsensical?

-They could have just shown the aircraft carrier in the water and at the end just show the engines start, implying it would fly to comics fans.
-They could have just shown an agent named Clint and at the end you see him reach for a weapon that he says is his speciality.
-They could have shown Cap using his shield like everyone in every real battle ever where a shield was used, by holding it and blocking things. Then at the very end they could have shown him about to throw it.

You can't just accept that they've done all of these things that are utterly ridiculous by real world logic and that normal movie goers knew nothing about, but then say "Oh, but THIS TIME! THIS TIME it wouldn't have made sense to anyone but comic readers!"

Everything else could be from any science fiction/fantasy action franchise or show. The specifics of a phrase which only pertains to readers of a certain comic book is the question. And I'm not the one who refrained from using a weird phrasing so far 20 movies and hundreds of TV hours into a shared universe. The ones who made that "weird' decision had their reasons and I am giving what I think is the probably cause. That it. "Avengers Assemble" means nothing to anyone not reading a specific book and seeing their cover art.

So what is your reason for the "weird" decision? Do you think that by allowing a scene to go a split second longer will bring in an audience which have not heard "Avengers Assemble until now?

Predicting that will be Cap's last words in A4 before he dies. No spoiler to it about him dying b/c Evans has said he is done after this one.

Everything else could be from any science fiction/fantasy action franchise or show. The specifics of a phrase which only pertains to readers of a certain comic book is the question. And I'm not the one who refrained from using a weird phrasing so far 20 movies and hundreds of TV hours into a shared universe. The ones who made that "weird' decision had their reasons and I am giving what I think is the probably cause. That it. "Avengers Assemble" means nothing to anyone not reading a specific book and seeing their cover art.

So what is your reason for the "weird" decision? Do you think that by allowing a scene to go a split second longer will bring in an audience which have not heard "Avengers Assemble until now?

I'm aware you're arguing why you think it was left out, I'm telling you your reason makes no sense. You're telling me a shield that magically ricochets off half a dozen things and goes back to the thrower could be out of any science fiction/fantasy action franchise or show? Bullcrap.
I'm not a mind reader, so I don't know why Whedon and others left it out. I'm simply saying your argument makes zero logical sense and I've given many reasons why.
Your last sentence is a straw man fallacy not worth responding to.

I'm aware you're arguing why you think it was left out, I'm telling you your reason makes no sense. You're telling me a shield that magically ricochets off half a dozen things and goes back to the thrower could be out of any science fiction/fantasy action franchise or show? Bullcrap.
I'm not a mind reader, so I don't know why Whedon and others left it out. I'm simply saying your argument makes zero logical sense and I've given many reasons why.
Your last sentence is a straw man fallacy not worth responding to.

In other words you have no theory you just like to sit on the sidelines and snipe. Which is cool. So does anybody have a theory beyond saying a nonsensical phrase which only exist to write A A , in English, on a comic book page has been avoided by 20 different movies?

In other words you have no theory you just like to sit on the sidelines and snipe. Which is cool. So does anybody have a theory beyond saying a nonsensical phrase which only exist to write A A , in English, on a comic book page has been avoided by 20 different movies?

No, in other words when people put forward obviously wrong ideas I don't believe in letting that pass by. I have this weird thing about truth and logic having value.

Also this last post of yours not to mention multiple things in other posts makes it clear that you look at it negatively despite your previous, disingenuous claim that you're simply trying to explain why maybe they didn't use it yet.

v4MzyLW.gif

eOeQHol.gif

74mUU18.gif

:hehe:

Your two posts seemed to drastically misunderstand that person’s point. Not similar comparisons in the slightest to the point he was making. Gigantic core aspects of a character’s power is not the same thing as one arbitrary line sometimes said in comics. The poster wasn’t at all saying to ignore the comic characteristics, but acknowledging that it’s an awkward phrase to just say that doesn’t flow naturally given how modern day people talk. Sort of like how they didn’t throw into Avengers 2 a “Ultron, we would have words with thee” line because Thor already wasn’t talking in a Shakespearean way anymore so the line wouldn’t have gelled. Cap saying “Avengers Assemble” is not as fundamental to the character as Hawkeye having a bow is, like you’re saying. If it was they probably would have gotten to it in Avengers, Age of Ultron, Civil War or Infinity War. Because it would be fun, but at best one fun fan service moment in a movie filled with literally hundreds of fan service moments, many of them more exciting. If it can be done organically, no one’s gonna complain, but you’re making it sound hilariously more necessary than it clearly is.

I genuinely thought you quoted the wrong posts at first because of how radically you’re exaggerating their claims.

Get some sleep, dude. Come back in the morning.

Your two posts seemed to drastically misunderstand that person’s point. Not similar comparisons in the slightest to the point he was making. Gigantic core aspects of a character’s power is not the same thing as one arbitrary line sometimes said in comics. The poster wasn’t at all saying to ignore the comic characteristics, but acknowledging that it’s an awkward phrase to just say that doesn’t flow naturally given how modern day people talk. Sort of like how they didn’t throw into Avengers 2 a “Ultron, we would have words with thee” line because Thor already wasn’t talking in a Shakespearean way anymore so the line wouldn’t have gelled. Cap saying “Avengers Assemble” is not as fundamental to the character as Hawkeye having a bow is, like you’re saying. If it was they probably would have gotten to it in Avengers, Age of Ultron, Civil War or Infinity War. Because it would be fun, but at best one fun fan service moment in a movie filled with literally hundreds of fan service moments, many of them more exciting. If it can be done organically, no one’s gonna complain, but you’re making it sound hilariously more necessary than it clearly is.

I genuinely thought you quoted the wrong posts at first because of how radically you’re exaggerating their claims.

Get some sleep, dude. Come back in the morning.

I understood his point completely and mine still stands perfectly. Look back over my examples and instead of responding to just the one you think is easiest pick another. What about the helicarrier? It didn't have to fly, that's so stupidly unrealistic in our culture. How silly of them to include something so unnatural from the comics.

My point is that while they've obviously chosen not to include the Avengers Assemble phrase yet for some reason the previous poster's attempted explanation makes no sense.

You're also under exaggerating the significance of the phrase in the comics to support your point. It's "sometimes said in the comics"? Really? It's been the key phrase of the Avengers for about 50 years.

Not to mention both you and the previous poster are making an illogical claim about it supposedly being an awkward phrase. It's saying the team name and giving a verb command. It makes as much sense as if Cyclops had to yell "X-Men, attack!" or "X-Men, run!"

SPO2's attempted explanation makes zero sense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
osayi
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"