Israel Plans to Pay for All of Its Young Ladies' Abortions in 2014

I don't want kids. I'm going to continue having sex. I protect myself against getting pregnant. If I got pregnant, I would not go through with it.

In your words, I should be emotionally and financially stable to raise a child I don't even want. How is that different from saying don't have sex if you don't want kids? You're splitting hairs on this one.

Before I answer this question, do you not want kids now or do you not want kids ever?

And no, I'm not splitting hairs. People don't want kids all the time, but they step up and accept that they have to raise them. This is unfortunately an every day occurrence. Watch an episode of Maury.

I don't want kids ever. I'm perfectly capable of raising a child, but I won't. I'll abort. Or Plan B. Whichever.

And you have no right to say I would be irresponsible by aborting a child I don't want and that I did what I could not to have.

There is no stepping up here. I should be allowed to have sex with protection without having people like you saying that I should step up if I get pregnant.

I have sex for pleasure, not procreation.

Yes we do. This is a democracy (provided you reside in one, like America). And we have laws keeping tax dollars away from elective abortions for that reason.

There's a difference between paying for public education and infrastructure and paying for someone's elective abortion.

If not wanting to fund abortions is nitpicking, then expect a **** load of nitpicking.
Now it's no longer abortions, but elective abortions. When does it become elective and when is it necessary?

It's clear on the extreme sides when someone just doesn't want a child and gets an abortion. I agree that's just plain wrong to go and abort a baby because you don't want it. But I'm also not going to simplify that by saying don't have sex. That example of elective abortions also implies that a woman doesn't care or is in some way indifferent to being pregnant in the first place. It doesn't mean she didn't make an effort to not get pregnant but those efforts failed. No form of birth control is 100% effective. There is always a chance of pregnancy no matter how careful you are.

And it's clear on the other side when the mother is at risk of death or the child will be born with deformities or incapable of surviving on its own. There are so many ways a pregnancy can go wrong or something can happen that endangers one or both of them and a sacrifice must be performed. Do you save the mother and lose the child? What about a baby that will not live a good life. You save the child but lives a life of pain and difficulty incapable of living off life-support or suffering from deformities that make life impossible on their own?

That in itself ranges into just how much is too much of a difficult life? The deeper down this rabbit hole you go the more you find yourself making exceptions, back-tracking your comments, rephrasing your meanings and saying, "in that case..." and never finding your way out again.

Neither case of abortion should be easy and I really think you've got to have a callous heart to believe anyone is unaffected by having one. Yet that is exactly what many abortion opponents do: they paint a picture of "****es" who don't care about anything but themselves, want no children and aren't in any way responsible or respectable women who made any effort to not get pregnant in the first place.

It doesn't take being female to see how misogynist that line of thinking is.

Which leaves a large middle ground and that is what no one wants to discuss. Nothing is black and white, right or wrong when you discuss a topic of this depth. Trying to turn it into a I'm right, you're wrong, my way or the highway single solution dictum is why there will never be a compromise.

That and anti-abortionists are even less willing to compromise than those who are for abortion choices.

First of all, I feel as though any decent human being shouldn't have to state something obvious like "Of course woman shouldn't be neglected to have an abortion if her life was in danger" or "Victims of rape shouldn't still be forced to have their children anyway." I'm not apologizing for not making that clear because I shouldn't have to. Too bad. Try not being so quick on the gun next time.

Really? The Catholic Church and a good many other anti-abortion rights groups say otherwise. There are so many attempts to straight out ban abortion under any circumstances and you failed to acknowledge it. I'm not being quick on the gun. I'm carefully making points that show just how little you seem to know on this subject.

Saying "any decent human being" shouldn't have to state that means you're saying most of your side isn't very decent.

And about the last part, I don't see how it's complicated. Trust me, I am in no way trying to make myself appear holier than thou. In a perfect world, two responsible adults (knowing the gravitas and potential consequences of sex) would be prepared if things went in that seemingly unfortunate direction, emotionally and financially. How can that be argued against?

What happens when two people are ready to have a family. They have the money, they have the house. The car, the jobs. Everything. They get pregnant.

Then they lose their jobs. The husband dies, their house is foreclosed because the economy crashes. There's suddenly an emergency where all the money saved up must be used. Should that pregnancy continue? Wouldn't it be irresponsible to abort the child if it's early enough?

I'm sure you would argue to put the child in adoption but there are so many children already in foster care that adding to it is only feeding a larger problem. That doesn't mean aborting the child should be taken lightly. I've repeatedly said it should never be done lightly but this attitude of yours fails to take into consideration reality. Things happen. They don't always go as planned and children aren't always possible at a given time.

No one I think wants to have an abortion and live with that. Some women handle it better than others. Some might have a brave front to it and claim it didn't effect them. Losing a child, either naturally or forcefully, is going to affect a parent.

Saying don't have sex is about the weakest and least possible solution to respond with yet it never goes away. It's a literal biological drive to have sex and reproduce. We're capable of stemming the reproduction part but we still have the urge for sex.

I think after this detailed response I'm through with this discussion. I have nothing more to add to it. There will never be a simple, easy, quick resolution to this and to believe otherwise is to stick your head in the sand and hope it fixes itself.

We do have existing definitions for necessary abortions. Only a small minority oppose abortions under all conditions.

I don’t say “don’t have sex”. Be responsible. Use contraceptives. But reproduction is the direct result of sex. You know what might happen. Everything you do in life has consequences, so does sex. Be prepared for it.

You don’t see me saying that men should be able to opt out of child rearing responsibilities do you?

What I think you don’t appreciate, is that to many pro-lifers, abortion is tantamount to murder. Naturally, they are going to be a bit more extreme about it than the other side, many (most perhaps?) of whom view abortion is simple, straightforward medical procedure with few, if any moral concerns.

I find it interesting that you actually argue that women are “affected” by having an abortion. That’s not a position all people on the pro-choice side take.

I don't want kids ever. I'm perfectly capable of raising a child, but I won't. I'll abort. Or Plan B. Whichever.

And you have no right to say I would be irresponsible by aborting a child I don't want and that I did what I could not to have.

There is no stepping up here. I should be allowed to have sex with protection without having people like you saying that I should step up if I get pregnant.

I have sex for pleasure, not procreation.

Whoa, first of all...why are you so angry? Can you calm down? I didn't personally attack you. I wasn't condescending. I didn't attack your morals nor did I bring religion into the equation. I didn't tell you specifically to step up. Chill out.

Second, if you don't want to have a child ever, haven't you thought about IUD? Tubectomy? Eliminate the need for contraceptives/abortion all together and have all the sex you want without worrying about anything.

I don't like the idea of an IUD (also not 100% effective) and I don't want my tubes tied right now. My choice.

I've never been pregnant, for the record, but I don't consider scraping cells off of a uterine wall as murder or immoral. I don't believe any woman should be forced to or be ready for a child that they do not want, especially if the system is unwilling to assist.

I feel like a broken record saying this, but if you don't want a child and you do what you can to protect yourself from getting pregnant, there is no reason why anyone should be able to force you to have it.

Really? The Catholic Church and a good many other anti-abortion rights groups say otherwise. There are so many attempts to straight out ban abortion under any circumstances and you failed to acknowledge it. I'm not being quick on the gun. I'm carefully making points that show just how little you seem to know on this subject.

:confused:

Oh my goodness, clearly you know my stance from my last post. Why are you bringing up the Catholic Church? I'm not Catholic. What does this have to do with my knowledge of the subject and how have I shown what "little" I seem to know?

Saying "any decent human being" shouldn't have to state that means you're saying most of your side isn't very decent.

What? Who is on my "side"?

What happens when two people are ready to have a family. They have the money, they have the house. The car, the jobs. Everything. They get pregnant.

Then they lose their jobs. The husband dies, their house is foreclosed because the economy crashes. There's suddenly an emergency where all the money saved up must be used. Should that pregnancy continue? Wouldn't it be irresponsible to abort the child if it's early enough?

You are using the most extreme case ever. What are you trying to prove here? Are you expecting me to say "Yes, an abortion after those extenuating circumstances is irresponsible"? You are killing me.

I'm sure you would argue to put the child in adoption but there are so many children already in foster care that adding to it is only feeding a larger problem. That doesn't mean aborting the child should be taken lightly. I've repeatedly said it should never be done lightly but this attitude of yours fails to take into consideration reality. Things happen. They don't always go as planned and children aren't always possible at a given time.

No one I think wants to have an abortion and live with that. Some women handle it better than others. Some might have a brave front to it and claim it didn't effect them. Losing a child, either naturally or forcefully, is going to affect a parent.

I agree and never said anything otherwise. In fact, I never said anything about this at all, but it's neat that you feel this way.

Saying don't have sex is about the weakest and least possible solution to respond with yet it never goes away. It's a literal biological drive to have sex and reproduce. We're capable of stemming the reproduction part but we still have the urge for sex.

Yes and with that urge comes responsibility. That's the entire point I've been trying to make.

I think after this detailed response I'm through with this discussion. I have nothing more to add to it. There will never be a simple, easy, quick resolution to this and to believe otherwise is to stick your head in the sand and hope it fixes itself.

Thank you for contribution. You must have been very angry and/or very passionate to reply with all of that. I appreciate that you kept it civil.

I don't like the idea of an IUD (also not 100% effective) and I don't want my tubes tied right now. My choice.

I've never been pregnant, for the record, but I don't consider scraping cells off of a uterine wall as murder or immoral. I don't believe any woman should be forced to or be ready for a child that they do not want, especially if the system is unwilling to assist.

I feel like a broken record saying this, but if you don't want a child and you do what you can to protect yourself from getting pregnant, there is no reason why anyone should be able to force you to have it.

Hey, whatever floats your boat. You do you. I'm not forcing anything.

I am curious about just one thing. I don't really get to ask this question often because it is never relevant, but here it goes. What happens if the man who got you pregnant wanted the child? What happens in that situation with you specifically? I am just curious.

This intense philosophical debate is getting too personal for my comfort.

I am curious about just one thing. I don't really get to ask this question often because it is never relevant, but here it goes. What happens if the man who got you pregnant wanted the child? What happens in that situation with you specifically? I am just curious.

Interesting question. Luckily, for me, I'm in a monogamous, long term relationship with a man who doesn't want kids. I don't go into relationships without knowing that bit of information.

Interesting question. Luckily, for me, I'm in a monogamous, long term relationship with a man who doesn't want kids. I don't go into relationships without knowing that bit of information.

Hey, well that's good to hear. Like I said, whatever floats your boat.

:up:

The women I know who have had multiple abortions are at the bottom of the respect totem pole for me. They have complete disregard for their health and for the consequences of not protecting themselves when they have sex. Those women make me sick and I feel sorry for the men in their lives.

I don't take abortion lightly. I also don't hate kids, I just don't want any. I'd rather have a dog and nieces and nephews.

Hey, well that's good to hear. Like I said, whatever floats your boat.

I apologize for the way I came across in my earlier posts. These sorts of debates get too heated :funny:

I am sorry. I respect your opinion and for the most part, you are right about owning up to the consequences of our actions. I think most abortions come from unprotected sex, anyways (which I don't agree with).

It's alright. That's how these debates usually go. These debates, as long as we aren't trying to kill each other, are great to have. It's always refreshing to see a different point of view. I appreciate you being civil.

I find it interesting that you actually argue that women are “affected” by having an abortion. That’s not a position all people on the pro-choice side take.
I don't live in a bubble. Living in reality means acknowledging real outcomes and trying not to pretend there aren't consequences. Being affected by something doesn't mean it's a reason to outlaw it. Not having an abortion and instead having an unwanted child or a child with severe deformities and problems is going to affect a parent too.

Oh my goodness, clearly you know my stance from my last post. Why are you bringing up the Catholic Church? I'm not Catholic. What does this have to do with my knowledge of the subject and how have I shown what "little" I seem to know?

What? Who is on my "side"?

You are using the most extreme case ever. What are you trying to prove here? Are you expecting me to say "Yes, an abortion after those extenuating circumstances is irresponsible"? You are killing me.

I agree and never said anything otherwise. In fact, I never said anything about this at all, but it's neat that you feel this way.

Yes and with that urge comes responsibility. That's the entire point I've been trying to make.

Thank you for contribution. You must have been very angry and/or very passionate to reply with all of that. I appreciate that you kept it civil.
To sum this very confused :-)confused:) response up, the Catholic Church, despite your confusion, are full of decent human beings who feel abortion is never acceptable. At all. That you don't know this means you don't know very much about the argument or are very narrow in your knowledge of it.

Your side is abortion is wrong. Your side is also splintered into the never at all catagory, only under medical emergency circumstances and the only under rape/incest circumstances with a lot of debate to what extent in every case, except the none at all ones who'd rather everyone just have children whether it's safe or not.

You said yourself that abortion is only for extreme reasons, which means you are far leaning in the anti-abortion side of the debate. Not far extreme like the never at all bunch but not in the middle ground where there are less clear-cut circumstances.

I'm not using any more extreme circumstances than you who said to never have sex without the expectation of having a child. So I took your argument and reversed it. To be ready to have a child, only to lose the ability to raise it is a very real, more common than you realize, reality.

And lastly, I'm not angry, not passionate or even invested in it directly myself. I could have been at one time but I wasn't and still am not. That doesn't mean I will not pull a Voltaire and defend something I feel needs defending even if I don't entirely agree with it.

There's often an assumption to be pro-choice means you don't care about the reason behind an abortion which is entirely false. No one I know who is pro-choice is indifferent to just letting any woman have one at any time for any reason.

And finally, one does not have to stop participating in a discussion only if they become too angry, passionate or obsessed with it. If you feel there is nothing more to add to a discussion, why continue in it? I know I won't be changing your mind, or likely anyone else's. It would be too simple to just post a few times and instantly change a person's mind. Nothing ever happens like that in a single post or a handful to such a deeply seated belief.

I said I was through discussing it and I am, only I'm clarifying what seems to be misunderstood. I feel there is nothing more for me to contribute. And there still isn't. I haven't really contributed anything new to this other than iterating on points I've already stated and clearing up those misunderstandings.

That people think they have the right to dictate the lives of others is something I do feel strongly about however. I would not try to force my beliefs on any one else any more than I would want them to force theirs on me.

There are limits in society of course where we all agree. Murder, rape, child molestation, abuse, robbery, etc. are all crimes against society. Abortion is one of those unfortunately complicated murky places we can't agree on.

I don't live in a bubble. Living in reality means acknowledging real outcomes and trying not to pretend there aren't consequences. Being affected by something doesn't mean it's a reason to outlaw it. Not having an abortion and instead having an unwanted child or a child with severe deformities and problems is going to affect a parent too.

To sum this very confused :-)confused:) response up, the Catholic Church, despite your confusion, are full of decent human beings who feel abortion is never acceptable. At all. That you don't know this means you don't know very much about the argument or are very narrow in your knowledge of it.

I'm very aware of how great Catholics are. But what does the Catholic Church have to do with you and me? I still don't understand.

Your side is abortion is wrong. Your side is also splintered into the never at all catagory, only under medical emergency circumstances and the only under rape/incest circumstances with a lot of debate to what extent in every case, except the none at all ones who'd rather everyone just have children whether it's safe or not.
What? Please find one time in this thread when I said abortion was wrong. I said no such thing.

You said yourself that abortion is only for extreme reasons, which means you are far leaning in the anti-abortion side of the debate. Not far extreme like the never at all bunch but not in the middle ground where there are less clear-cut circumstances.
When did I say it was only for extreme reasons?

I'm not using any more extreme circumstances than you who said to never have sex without the expectation of having a child. So I took your argument and reversed it. To be ready to have a child, only to lose the ability to raise it is a very real, more common than you realize, reality.

What? What?

...what?

I said no such thing. I said that in a perfect world, those who would be having sex would be responsible if things didn't go according as planned. If you can't support a possible child, it's not a good idea to be having sex. Wow, this post has blown me away. Seriously, it takes the cake.

And lastly, I'm not angry, not passionate or even invested in it directly myself. I could have been at one time but I wasn't and still am not. That doesn't mean I will not pull a Voltaire and defend something I feel needs defending even if I don't entirely agree with it.
Alright, that's cool. It's fun to defend a position.

There's often an assumption to be pro-choice means you don't care about the reason behind an abortion which is entirely false. No one I know who is pro-choice is indifferent to just letting any woman have one at any time for any reason.
That's nice to know. I am pro-choice, btw.

And finally, one does not have to stop participating in a discussion only if they become too angry, passionate or obsessed with it. If you feel there is nothing more to add to a discussion, why continue in it? I know I won't be changing your mind, or likely anyone else's. It would be too simple to just post a few times and instantly change a person's mind. Nothing ever happens like that in a single post or a handful to such a deeply seated belief.
Yes, I agree.

I said I was through discussing it and I am, only I'm clarifying what seems to be misunderstood. I feel there is nothing more for me to contribute. And there still isn't. I haven't really contributed anything new to this other than iterating on points I've already stated and clearing up those misunderstandings.
Well, you might need to clear up more of those misunderstandings.

That people think they have the right to dictate the lives of others is something I do feel strongly about however. I would not try to force my beliefs on any one else any more than I would want them to force theirs on me.
Not one time in this entire thread did I force my opinion on anybody. If I did, please find it and show me. Please don't ignore this part.

There are limits in society of course where we all agree. Murder, rape, child molestation, abuse, robbery, etc. are all crimes against society. Abortion is one of those unfortunately complicated murky places we can't agree on.
Very true. Abortion is a slippery slope. With that said, I have one word of advice to you. Take about an hour or whatever amount of time you'd like. Reread all of my posts. For some reason, I think you've misunderstood me entirely. Then reply to the above.

This is kind of what happened to me, my baby mama got pregnant when she was 18 and I was 21 in the Navy at the time. She told me she wanted an abortion. I told here I didn't because I can take care of my child, I told her I couldn't stop here but I wasn't going to pay for it. We broke up cuz she was cheating while she was pregnant and then ran off and got married to this guy while I was on deployment. I missed the birth of my daughter and then she raised my daughter to call her step-dad dad. I had pretty much no say in the life of my daughter even though I sued her for my rights, she wouldn't bring her on visitations or anything and I worked 2 jobs when I got out of the Navy and it was hard for me to visit.

She really was a vindictive ****, and the hate I have for that woman and what she put me through knows no bounds. Now she has 3 other kids with her husband and I never see my kid. She will be 8 in January. All her kids look like their dads, so at least every time she looks at my daughter she has to see my face

This is kind of what happened to me, my baby mama got pregnant when she was 18 and I was 21 in the Navy at the time. She told me she wanted an abortion. I told here I didn't because I can take care of my child, I told her I couldn't stop here but I wasn't going to pay for it. We broke up cuz she was cheating while she was pregnant and then ran off and got married to this guy while I was on deployment. I missed the birth of my daughter and then she raised my daughter to call her step-dad dad. I had pretty much no say in the life of my daughter even though I sued her for my rights, she wouldn't bring her on visitations or anything and I worked 2 jobs when I got out of the Navy and it was hard for me to visit.

She really was a vindictive ****, and the hate I have for that woman and what she put me through knows no bounds. Now she has 3 other kids with her husband and I never see my kid. She will be 8 in January. All her kids look like their dads, so at least every time she looks at my daughter she has to see my face

OMG that is horrible!:( I hope at some point you and your daughter get to have the relationship a father and daughter should have.

Ya, I'm saving money for her now. When she turns 18 I will find her and give it to here and tell her about what happened and that I tried to be there. Hopefully she will understand and we can have a good relationship

Your baby mama is a hunt with a capital "C". I used to work in a family law firm and the lawyer I worked for generally took male clients because they were more often the better person than the mothers. There was one poor guy who had two boys with his wife and she tried to kill herself in the bathroom while her husband was out and her boys were at home. She slit her own throat with a steak knife and one of the boys saw the blood under the bathroom door.

Luckily (or unluckily depending on how you see it), the husband came home and found his wife and brought her to the hospital where she survived...and then tried to open the stitches in her neck with a thumb tack. She survived that as well, but had a stroke and is now disabled. The husband divorced the wife and gave her very generous visitation rights for a couple years. Then, one day, he spanked his son and his son went to his mom and complained and she went to court and got full custody of both boys. She used Child Services to make sure her husband never got visitation rights to either son. It was the most disgusting case I had ever worked on and it sickens me to this day the lengths that some women will go to for revenge and money.

All the best to you, DJ, and keep fighting the good fight. You deserve to see your kid and your ex deserves a good smack down. Karma is a *****.

Once more it's simplified into a stupidly wrong solution.

What if the woman is raped? Or are you one of those who say women can't be impregnated by rape like that moronic politician said?

What if the baby is going to have severe deformities or problems preventing an even remotely normal life?

What about if the mother's life is in danger and the only way she can live is to abort the baby?

What if the birth control fails?

This is why such simple-minded "it's simple" answers are always wrong.

An Alan Guttmacher Institute survey found that nearly one-half of women obtaining abortions said they used no birth control method during the month they got pregnant. Add to this the fact that, at most, only five percent of all abortions are done for the mother's physical or psychological health. Rape and incest are cited as reasons for less than 1% of all abortions. Nationally, 82% of women obtaining abortions are unmarried. These statistics strongly suggest abortion is used primarily as birth control.
http://www.texasrighttolife.com/about/145/abortion-myths

Abortion is primarily being used as birth control.

I do what I can to protect myself from getting pregnant. I do not want kids.

If I got pregnant, I would use Plan B. If it didn't work, I would get an abortion.

I don't think that I should have to stop having sex because I don't want kids. That's archaic and idiotic. I do what I can to not get pregnant. If it fails, I'll use another way to not have a kid. I don't think I should be forced to have a child I don't want by people who don't have to raise it.

You currently have several legal options to prevent birth of a child, including abortion in the United States and most Western societies...but the fact the procedure is illegal doesn't change the fact it is killing of human unborn being...a being that could have grown up to be an adult in this world. That's all people are saying here.

It's a bunch of cells. I wouldn't just sit around and wait until the kid had a heartbeat to abort it. It would be gone as soon as possible.

I do utilize different methods to prevent pregnancy. I do not want a child.

Not according to the law where, exactly? Can you name a single state in which a man can get out of paying child support by saying, "I wanted her to have an abortion, your honor"? Men can opt out, by either refraining from sex until marriage, using condoms or getting a vasectomy. And those are similar to the options advocated for women who don't want to get pregnant.

The fact of it is that both parties who agreed to have sex are responsible for a child once it is born. Life ain't fair, biology ain't fair, but then it wasn't fair back in the days when men could simply deny paternity and walk without consequences, leaving women to raise children alone.

To Thunder's point, it seems arbitrarily cruel that one gender of the pair can decide whether the fetus growing is a human being or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"