• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The Amazing Spider-Man It's official! Andrew Garfield to play Spider-Man! - Part 2

I might be getting it too one of these days

The most ironic thing about Garfield portraying Spider-Man IMO is seeing Blade in a comic chasing Garfield announcing his loathing of the Twilight movies

Marvel character chasing a guy portraying another one:awesome:
Sorry if I'm misunderstanding you, but you're aware that Andrew Garfield is NOT Robert Pattinson, right? Garfield has nothing to do with Twilight. :huh:

And yes, that comic is amazing. Buffy concurs:

buffytheysparkle.gif

buffykillsedwardo.gif

^^He looks like him, I thought that was him

Because people hate Twilight so they must hate Pattinson for no reason as well. Geez, why do we hate him exactly? Because he's in a franchise we shouldn't give a **** about other than its fans?

Because people hate Twilight so they must hate Pattinson for no reason as well. Geez, why do we hate him exactly? Because he's in a franchise we shouldn't give a **** about other than its fans?

Who hates Patterson? I'm looking forward to Water for Elephants and any other work he does outside Twilight. I think people are just making fun of the character.

I don't hate Pattinson. Actually, I kind of like the way in interviews he seems to hate Twilight as much as the rest of the sane people. I remember seeing one where he said he read the books and thought they were ridiculous and read like "something that was never meant to be published." And that was his "nice" way of putting it, lol. That kind of endeared him to me. Plus, he's Cedric Diggory, so I can't hate him. :D

^ if I didn't hate the guy before... that kinda makes me hate him... or at least lose what little respect I had for him.... what a sell out

Well, he makes good money and no one forces you to watch them. I hate Twilight, I don't watch them, have nothing against the actors, but my hate goes towards the people that annoy me with it.

I really do hate anything Twilight related, tbh. And I mean EVERYTHING. Those films are an insult to what Vampires should be.

To be fair, those movies are for teenage girls. Somewhere there are a bunch of people who have a supernatural hate for star trek fans, comic book fans and james bond fans.

I recently watched a scene of one movie with them playing baseball, thought that scene was kind of fun. That was the closest thing I got to the series, I still don't care for it

To be fair, those movies are for teenage girls. Somewhere there are a bunch of people who have a supernatural hate for star trek fans, comic book fans and james bond fans.

Correct.

I just saw The Social Network. Great movie and Garfield played the role in it well, but I totally disagree with people saying he was denied an Oscar nom. If anyone in that film deserved one, it was Jesse Eisenberg. Garfield showed some shades of Peter Parker (though, I hope he is less effeminate in Spider-Man), but Oscar performance it was not.

I just saw The Social Network. Great movie and Garfield played the role in it well, but I totally disagree with people saying he was denied an Oscar nom. If anyone in that film deserved one, it was Jesse Eisenberg. Garfield showed some shades of Peter Parker (though, I hope he is less effeminate in Spider-Man), but Oscar performance it was not.

Less effeminate. I totally agree. Saverin was a total homo in the Social Network. I hope none of that queerness make it into Spidey either... It'd really put a damper on the reboot what with Parker talking about shoes and jewelry all the time (with a lisp, naturally) and his Aunt May catching him, not in his spidey suit, but trying on her pantyhose and heels. 100% hetero! Loud and proud!

Less effeminate. I totally agree. Saverin was a total homo in the Social Network. I hope none of that queerness make it into Spidey either... It'd really put a damper on the reboot what with Parker talking about shoes and jewelry all the time (with a lisp, naturally) and his Aunt May catching him, not in his spidey suit, but trying on her pantyhose and heels. 100% hetero! Loud and proud!

Is this supposed to be satire of my post? If it is, this is what we call a straw man argument. I said nothing like that. I didn't say his character was too gay, I said effeminate. That doesn't mean gay. Completely different point and argument.

Last edited:
Is this supposed to be satire of my post? If it is, this is what we call a straw man argument. I said nothing like that. I didn't say his character was too gay, I said effeminate. That doesn't mean gay. Completely different point and argument.

So talking about jewelry and wearing women's clothing means you like having sex with men? Strange! I wasn't aware those qualities were inextricably linked! Now, those qualities are certainly "effeminate", meaning that they are qualities typical of the female sex in our culture... Oh wait, were you comparing Eduardo Saverin to a female because he was sensitive and had emotions? Strange that acting like a human being makes one "gay" these days. And, if that's not what you meant, please be so kind as to explain what you meant as effeminate!

PS. I was never debating your main point, therefore, there is no "straw man" as you put it. Bonus points for using that though.

So talking about jewelry and wearing women's clothing means you like having sex with men? Strange! I wasn't aware those qualities were inextricably linked! Now, those qualities are certainly "effeminate", meaning that they are qualities typical of the female sex in our culture... Oh wait, were you comparing Eduardo Saverin to a female because he was sensitive and had emotions? Strange that acting like a human being makes one "gay" these days. And, if that's not what you meant, please be so kind as to explain what you meant as effeminate!

PS. I was never debating your main point, therefore, there is no "straw man" as you put it. Bonus points for using that though.

His mannerisms were effeminate. THAT is what effeminate means. Not that he was doing "girly" things, he just had effeminate mannerisms. THAT was my point. Again, you're trying to make arguments I NEVER made. That is the very definition of a straw man argument.

Also, your post used the word "queerness" so my point about you trying to paint me as somehow calling him gay wasn't a stretch.

His mannerisms were effeminate. THAT is what effeminate means. Not that he was doing "girly" things, he just had effeminate mannerisms. THAT was my point. Again, you're trying to make arguments I NEVER made. That is the very definition of a straw man argument.

Also, your post used the word "queerness" so my point about you trying to paint me as somehow calling him gay wasn't a stretch.

*sigh* This is so BORING and pointless. I guess that's life on an internet message board! Arguing about nothing! O.K. Not like anyone cares, BUT, the definition of effeminate is:

"Having feminine qualities untypical of a man : not manly in appearance or manner"

Please explain what "mannerisms" are exclusive only to men or women that aren't based on jokes or stereotypes we've been force fed by the media.

And yes, my response to your original post was purposely exaggerated to demonstrate why your comment may have been viewed as ignorant, especially since you're the first person (that I've heard anyway) to label this character as effeminate because of their uh, mannerisms (still not clear on what mannerisms men are supposed to use as opposed to women) It's just so strange and out of left field.

Oh well, I guess that's the way of the world now! Labels and vague generalizations may not be right, but they make everything so much easier!

^ if I didn't hate the guy before... that kinda makes me hate him... or at least lose what little respect I had for him.... what a sell out
Nah, he wasn't purposefully bashing them, he was just noting that the fame and phenomenon was a little ridiculous to him, in an endearingly awkward way. And from what I understand, when he and Stewart signed on to a relatively low-budget film from the director of Thirteen, they were blissfully ignorant of the "phenomenon" at all, so they kind of accidentally "sold out," lol. Stewart seems to act like a victim and blatantly hates the fame that came with them, while Pattinson seems to take it all with a laugh, acknowledging he doesn't deserve any of it. I like that.

Anyway, back to topic: I didn't see anything "effeminate" about Andrew in TSN.

*sigh* This is so BORING and pointless. I guess that's life on an internet message board! Arguing about nothing! O.K. Not like anyone cares, BUT, the definition of effeminate is:

"Having feminine qualities untypical of a man : not manly in appearance or manner"

Please explain what "mannerisms" are exclusive only to men or women that aren't based on jokes or stereotypes we've been force fed by the media.

And yes, my response to your original post was purposely exaggerated to demonstrate why your comment may have been viewed as ignorant, especially since you're the first person (that I've heard anyway) to label this character as effeminate because of their uh, mannerisms (still not clear on what mannerisms men are supposed to use as opposed to women) It's just so strange and out of left field.

Oh well, I guess that's the way of the world now! Labels and vague generalizations may not be right, but they make everything so much easier!

Mannerisms as in way he moves. I'm not the only person who has said this. We do agree in one place, this debate is stupid (since you're making stupid points once I again I NEVER made). I'm not getting into the "straw man" debate.

Mannerisms as in way he moves. I'm not the only person who has said this. We do agree in one place, this debate is stupid (since you're making stupid points once I again I NEVER made). I'm not getting into the "straw man" debate.

You still haven't provided any examples of what particular mannerisms Garfield exhibited that were "effeminate". Doing so would not only help your argument but clarify what you actually meant (since y'know, we can't read your mind).

Also, I'm not "making stupid points you NEVER made". That makes it sound like I'm making things up. I was simply making inferences from your original statement (which is a totally valid thing to do btw).

Yeah...Unfortunately, this still isn't a "straw man" argument. I actually agree that Garfield shined in Social Network and that Eisenberg was great in it as well. It's just your baffling comment about effeminacy that seems very out of place and misinformed. Oh well! On with the fun!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"