J.R.R. Tolkien's 127th Birthday

THORin

Sidekick
Reaction score
Just because, you know, his work has transformed me into the man I am, and without things like the Lord of the Rings or the Silmarillion, my own writing would never be anything like it is. Just because Tolkien was a genius, a soldier, scholar, husband, father, the world's greatest philologist, and a man who believed in miracles, and the power of small people to do extraordinary things. Just because J.R.R. Tolkien's writing is always able to transport me far away to Middle-earth, and without regular trips to Hobbiton or Esgaroth or Gondolin, my life would be much more dull and lifeless. Just because...this day is a good day to talk about what Tolkien's world means to you.

Happy Birthday, Professor. May your memory never grow dim, while this age of the world endures.

God bless you sir for the world you gave us and the majesty of brilliance upon the written world of glorious beauty you bestowed upon us.

Also thanks @THORin for the thread to create such discussion on a literary god. :up:

The most important book in fantasy history! The world would be different for me if this guy hadn’t written the books that he did.

Ahhh, LOTR. The book series on which Avengers is based. :o

There's also a LotR film and book thread if anyone wants to talk about it later.

You’re welcome! It seemed like the right thing to do

- and it is not, of course, a carefully constructed ploy to ambush @Finarfiniel :cwink:

Oops, looks like I completely missed your ambush, sorry Thorin! :O I feel like such a bad Tolkien nerd, but in all fairness, @InCali missed this thread too so that makes me feel slightly better. :hehe:

I can't describe what a profound effect the works of J.R.R. Tolkien have had on my life, right through from early childhood when I first read The Hobbit to the current day. Happy belated birthday Mr Tolkien, Sir. May your genius and your legacy live on forever and continue to delight and move countless generations in the years to come. :toth

Oops, looks like I completely missed your ambush, sorry Thorin! :O I feel like such a bad Tolkien nerd, but in all fairness, @InCali missed this thread too so that makes me feel slightly better. :hehe:

I can't describe what a profound effect the works of J.R.R. Tolkien have had on my life, right through from early childhood when I first read The Hobbit to the current day. Happy belated birthday Mr Tolkien, Sir. May your genius and your legacy live on forever and continue to delight and move countless generations in the years to come. :toth

Haha, to be fair, even though I posted about it, I had only just remembered it was his birthday - because I happen to be a member of The One Ring, so i got an alert.

So nice to see you around again!

Haha, to be fair, even though I posted about it, I had only just remembered it was his birthday - because I happen to be a member of The One Ring, so i got an alert.

So nice to see you around again!

Ah, I visit The One Ring a lot, but I'm not a member. Great site. :up:

Tolkien Gateway is another great Tolkien/Middle-earth site, it's one of my favourite places online. I can literally spend hours on there reading articles. :funny:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"