Jackpot spinoff movie in the works at Sony

Hopefully when Venom bombs.

This is ridiculous. I get that Sony's plans are for these films to eventually intersect with the MCU but literally nobody cares about Jackpot or Nightwatch. I'll watch the latter since it has a good director but I'm aggressively disinterested in Jackpot.

I can't actually reprint what I said out loud when I saw the headline, but it was somewhere along the lines of "Who the Flying ... is Jackpot?"

I'm vaguely interested in Nightwatch if Spike Lee's name is attached to it. I thought Silver Sable stands well on her own. I hate the idea of a Kraven story and I was never thrilled with Venom.

I've never heard of the character Jackpot. Is it a Z-List Hero?

I can't actually reprint what I said out loud when I saw the headline, but it was somewhere along the lines of "Who the Flying ... is Jackpot?"

My first thought.
jackpot.jpg

I've never heard of the character Jackpot. Is it a Z-List Hero?

Jackpot was a superhero who showed up who was maybe Mary Jane Watson, and then it turned out she was someone else.

Last edited:
Jackpot was a superhero who showed up who was maybe Mary Jane Watson, and then it turned out she was someone else.

Then she died pathetically of a drug overdose.

Seriously though, I'm not at all against films based on more obscure characters. Heck, I'd be all over a Joystick movie. She's a ton of fun. On paper, I think a Jackpot movie could work. I have zero faith in Sony though.

Lots of things could potentially be a good movie. Jackpot just has no fanbase or name recognition to speak of, so it's not really any different than making an original movie off of a random concept.

And from what I understand, so much of her character amounts to being like MJ, so...why not just make something like Spider-Man Loves Mary Jane? A rom-com instead of a superhero blockbuster so they're not stealing too much from the Spider-Man series, and lower budget so it's easier turning a profit by capitalizing on interest in MJ. Jackpot may not be the worst idea ever, but that doesn't make it the best idea available to them.

Lots of things could potentially be a good movie. Jackpot just has no fanbase or name recognition to speak of, so it's not really any different than making an original movie off of a random concept.

True, but I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing. GOTG and Ant-Man were successful films about characters with very limited fanbases and almost no name recognition from the general public. Ant-Man even had Scott Lang as the hero instead of Hank Pym, who would at least be recognized by most Marvel comic fans despite the tiny fanbase.

True, but I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing. GOTG and Ant-Man were successful films about characters with very limited fanbases and almost no name recognition from the general public. Ant-Man even had Scott Lang as the hero instead of Hank Pym, who would at least be recognized by most Marvel comic fans despite the tiny fanbase.

I guess the difference for me is that Ant-Man happened because a creative person involved (Edgar Wright) was interested in making that movie, and instead of dictating that only the most popular characters could be developed, Marvel let him follow his vision. It's possible to imagine someone over at Sony being really into the idea of Jackpot, but I feel it's more likely they thought, "Hey, fans like Mary Jane Watson, right?" and added her to the list.

Granted, at this point they may just be exploring ideas rather than strongly committing to Jackpot as a concept, so if it doesn't pan out they could toss it.

This. The writer was trying to trick readers by naming her a word Mary Jane says and giving her red hair. Then she got hit by Peter, or maybe a literal tiger. Completely forgettable except for sheer audacity.

The only reason I even know who this character is is because of this thread? From what I've read her story could make an interesting movie but Sony will most likely bugger it up.

Not knowing a thing about this character, I looked her up. She has one of the most lol-worthy costumes ever. Girlfriend rocked a cheesy domino mask, a shrug and bellbottom pants. Not to mention lucky 7s on her belt like a damn slot machine. It's like the artist was trying to make her look dorky. :lmao:

5073800-character_6932f.jpg

latest

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"