Jake Gyllenhaal is a Nightcrawler

This movie looks so good, I think I'm going to see it later today.

Movie was amazing. Loved it. Favorite movie of the year for me, so far.

Gyllenhaal is that dude!

Haven't managed to see this yet :( But loving the positive reaction. Gyllenhaal has gotta be one of the top actors out there right now. He always does something interesting with his roles.

Amazing movie. Gyllenhall is one of the top actors out there right now, IMO.

Excellent movie. Gyllenhaal is going to get a serious push for Best Actor.

Just saw this. My soul was not ready for this. Incredible film. I was in disbelief when it ended as it felt like I had been in the theater for less then an hour. Just zoomed by.

Gyllenhaal was amazing in this. very good movie. what a creep, ha ha.

Yeah, I saw this Monday, and it was better than what I was expecting. I really liked it. Lots of dark comedy to it.

Gyllenhaal is fantastic. He is a creep, but also charming and continues to show what should be redeeming qualities. It gives the film a great helter skelter feel. The music makes it even more so. It is so inspirational, so heroic. Clearly from Louis' point of view.

The film was clearly inspired by Drive, but it also puts forward far more character.

Saw it today, I really enjoyed it myself. Like every has said, Gyllenhaal was great and he sold it as a creepy yet driven guy. If I had any complaints, it would probably be the ending, I kinda wanted to see more of the aftermath.

With the Drive comparisons, I dont really see it other than both driving cars at night. Gyllenhaal was an actual character that spoke (a lot) and it's got a message in the film as oppose to a movie with a cool soundtrack.

Last edited:
Saw it today, I really enjoyed it myself. Like every has said, Gyllenhaal was great and he sold it as a creepy yet driven guy. If I had any complaints, it would probably be the ending, I kinda wanted to see more of the aftermath.

With the Drive comparisons, I dont really see it other than both driving cars at night. Gyllenhaal was an actual character that spoke (a lot) and it's got a message in the film.
The tone is right in line with Drive. The tone created with the music and the way LA was shot are incredibly similar. Drive is one of my recent favorites so I have seen it more then few times. It hit me right in the chest. Especially with the diner scene.

Nightcrawler definitely has more character and more direct narrative. But it comes from the same neon world as Drive.

As good as L.A. looked in Drive, the city hasn't looked that great since Collateral, in my opinion.

I don't see the complaints about the score either. JNH did a great job.

As good as L.A. looked in Drive, the city hasn't looked that great since Collateral, in my opinion.

I don't see the complaints about the score either. JNH did a great job.
I understand the complaints about the score, because many seem to be missing the point of the score. I loved the music, thought it was great. And I loved that it expressed how Louis felt, showing how insanely creepy this whole thing was.

I don't see the Drive comparisons, either. I thought Drive was an alright movie, but I loved Nightcrawler. Just like Kane said, I don't really see or "feel" the comparisons, other than the driving through a city.

If you didn't really like Drive, chances are you haven't seen it all that many times. Which is fair. But I have, so I saw it instantly. It is all in the tone. That includes the driving around the city. The city is the same "character" in both films, and is used in the same manner. These are the people that go bump in the night in LA.

I don't see the Drive comparisons, either. I thought Drive was an alright movie, but I loved Nightcrawler. Just like Kane said, I don't really see or "feel" the comparisons, other than the driving through a city.

Drive comes up for me not for its similarities but the interesting ways in which it is different despite a similar tone and look. Its the potentially interesting contrast that makes me want to view them together rather than watching the same kind of film twice.

Drive comes up for me not for its similarities but the interesting ways in which it is different despite a similar tone and look. Its the potentially interesting contrast that makes me want to view them together rather than watching the same kind of film twice.
That is great way of looking at it. The narratives are night and day, even with both being intense meditations. Drive is a fairy tale, while Nightcrawler is harsher.

Saw this last week but never posted in here. Pretty fantastic movie from start to finish. My girlfriend was pretty unsettled by how much of a creep Gyllenhaal was.

This great film. Really really nice and lovely. He is just trying his best to make it through the world. The thing I don't get it is where did he come from? What did he do before? How did he survive? All these interesting background questions.

A major grievance or complaint, call what may have you, is the completely edited love making and love happy scene between Jake's character Louie and Rene Russo's character.

I finally got around to see this tonight and it was way better than I had hoped. This has to be Jake's best role. His little monologues throughout the film had me in stitches. Even his little mannerisms like the hair bun thing, or when he is at home ironing and just starts laughing out loud at his T.V. I found myself rooting for him in the beginning but by the end of the climax of the film I just hated Lou.

Like another poster already said; the movie did fly by extremely fast. I'm probably going to see it again, this movie was too damn good.

This great film. Really really nice and lovely. He is just trying his best to make it through the world. The thing I don't get it is where did he come from? What did he do before? How did he survive? All these interesting background questions.

A major grievance or complaint, call what may have you, is the completely edited love making and love happy scene between Jake's character Louie and Rene Russo's character.

You can't be serious... This has to be some weird avant garde thing.

Jake Gyllenhaal was totally the creepy version of Rob Lowe's character from Parks and Rec. They had the same mannerisms/way of speaking

Jake Gyllenhaal was totally the creepy version of Rob Lowe's character from Parks and Rec. They had the same mannerisms/way of speaking

Super Creepy Rob Lowe?

directv-creepy-rob-lowe-large-3.jpg

I really liked Nightcrawler save for one short scene near the end. For a brief moment it felt like it was going to derail the whole thing. Gyllenhaal deserves some attention come awards time but he probably won't get it. You know -- genre picture.

Los Angeles is ridiculously photogenic at night. It felt like Gilroy was channeling Michael Mann at times.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"