Jeph Loeb on Superboy and "Sam's Story"

Discussion in 'DC Comics' started by Binker, May 12, 2006.

1. Binker Registered

Source: http://www.newsarama.com/dcnew/Sams_story/sam_superboy.html

2. Harlekin Business

Anytime anything is said about Sam Loeb I just choke up. I reread the little Sam's story thing again and just like time, it got me. I'm really really looking forward to S/B #26, and I pre-ordered it like two months ago.

3. GoldenAgeHero Registered

when does itcome out?

4. Green Lantern Brightest Day

Did you miss this?

5. ToddIsDead Registered

I'll be picking it up, but I buy Superman/Batman pretty regularly anyway. It should be real good and it's really nice with all that they did for Sam.

6. lceman Registered

I did a quick revision of this new cover and updated Robin's costume to fit OYL: What you guys think:

[​IMG]

I am going to go into more detail late on but just wanted to see what it would look like.

7. Purple Man Registered

People talk about how 52 is such a great collaboration of writers and artists, but this takes the cake.

It's sad that it took the death of Jephs' son to warrent such a gathering.

This will be one of the most amazing books of our time. Never have I heard of something as amazing as Superman/Batman #26.

I've been with the book since the beginning and supported it every step of the way, through delays and fan outcries. I hope it's not only the people like me that purchase this book.

I hope I see every person walking into my local comic book store walking out with a copy of this book, even if they don't read Superman/Batman or even read DC comics.

Being Superman/Batman, the talent or the tribute to Sam itself would be enough to make this book fly off the shelves, we get all three.

This book will be quite memorable. Buy two copies and give one to a loved one. It's for a good cause.

Thank you everyone who are supporting this special issue for a special boy.

8. Purple Man Registered

Sorry for double posting, but did anyone else notice Mary Jane and Gwen Stacey on the first page of Sams story?

9. deathshead2 Registered

I read that preview and well I do my best not to cry and I sort of feel bad now sense Im not going to buy it, and never was.:( Dang I feel cheap

10. ToddIsDead Registered

Just plunk down the couple of bucks it will cost. It'll be worth it.

11. lceman Registered

This is one book you should buy regardless. I mean its only like $3. I doubt that will break anyone.

12. yenaled 3X2(9YZ)4A

I'll get it, I have little or no praise for what Loeb did on Superman/Batman but I will buy this.

13. Purple Man Registered

Not to sound rude, but you probably should.

I'm sure you can sacrifice an X book or something else so that you can afford this issue. Hell if it comes down to it, ask a loved one for the money. It's only a few bucks and if you tell them what it is about and that part of the proceeds are going to charity, maybe they'll buy a few copies for themselves.

And if there is absolutely no way you can afford it, at the very least spread the word about this book. I want to see this book sold out.

A sad thought is that less than a month after the book is released you will see scalpers at conventions selling copies for $15 like they did with the 9/11 tribute in Amazing Spider-Man. That really burned me.

14. lceman Registered

I totally agree. That book is what got me back into comics. When it came out a friend of mine showed me it and i thought i should go in and pick it up. Something that really hit home bring that I live in NYC. When I went to the shop it was behind the counter at $25. I spent it because I felt I needed to have that. Since then I have fallen back into my childhood hobby which cost me up to $75 a week on books.

15. nightstreak Registered

How did Sam, Jephs son die? How old was he? Whats happened. How do you donate? Thanks. :(

16. ToddIsDead Registered

Sam died of cancer. I think he was around 17. You donate by buying the issue.

17. Purple Man Registered

I just don't understand how people can do that with a clear conscience. If I could have afforded it I was going to buy as many copies as I could and give them away. That issue was something that I wanted everybody to read. Not sit on some dealers table for a ridiculous price.

When comics like this come out, they should never be sold for over the cover price. Getting your money back is one thing, but trying to make a quick buck off a book that is a tribute to a tragedy is just wrong.

I don't know how people like that can sleep at night. If I ever sold my comic collection Amazing Spider-Man vol 2 #36 and Superman/Batman #26 would be free of charge. Getting the story into someones hands and their hearts should be the focus.

Thank you Iceman for putting Superman/Batman #26 in your signature. I hope more people follow our lead.

18. nightstreak Registered

Thanks. How long ago was this?

19. Varient Guru for Geeks

Sad sigh.

20. ToddIsDead Registered

A few months to a year ago. Not too long ago I believe.

21. nightstreak Registered

Who elkse does he have left, a wife, any othger kids. Im definitley picking up more than 1 copy.

22. Purple Man Registered

He has a fourteen year old daughter who added a small contribution to the issue as well.

23. ToddIsDead Registered

24. deathshead2 Registered

I barely have enough money for what I buy weekly let alone for a book thats not on my pull list. But if I do see that I get a extra money I might try to get.Also even if I told everyone in my school to buy it none of them even read let alone go inside a comicbook shop to buy it.

25. Spectre722 Registered

[​IMG]
    how awesome is that?