Jim Lee, greatness or over estimated?

What are those pics of Batman from? The one where he is hunched over, the one near a tomb stone(i think) and it says someday, and the one where he says "Ur not the robin that died"??? I really like all that art work. Im not ganna lie, when im older i wanna look like that :p Im 16 now so it wont happen any time soon but i need art work like that (More so the one with the tomb stone) cause when im older and i want to be a police officer, i wanna be big and ripped like Batman.

What are those pics of Batman from? The one where he is hunched over, the one near a tomb stone(i think) and it says someday, and the one where he says "Ur not the robin that died"??? I really like all that art work. Im not ganna lie, when im older i wanna look like that :p Im 16 now so it wont happen any time soon but i need art work like that (More so the one with the tomb stone) cause when im older and i want to be a police officer, i wanna be big and ripped like Batman.

Those are from 'Hush' the graphic novel (specifically the 2nd volume). Although you'll need the first too to get a grasp of the story

Jim Lee's Batman is the best.

Other than Neal Adams. =D No questions about it!

never understood the cross hatch art style movement of the 90's. he was no different than any of the other Image artists, he just stayed around longer. hes not ground breaking by any means.

I really dislike Jim's style, simply for the fact that the whole 'dark, brooding, mysterious figure of terror' part of the character is lost. He's just basically Marv from Sin City in costume.

I really dislike Jim's style, simply for the fact that the whole 'dark, brooding, mysterious figure of terror' part of the character is lost. He's just basically Marv from Sin City in costume.

You're ****ing kidding right?

dogcatchfail.jpg

I would love to see Lee draw his Batman with Nightwing's body type.

I love his work on the x-men, particularly the shi'ar saga with the entire team in the original colors.

True, he's overrated and talented. I agree entirely.

I don't think he's overrated or overestimated. There are far too many people who don't like his art or his style for him to be that, anymore. Granted, he has hell of alot of fans, too. But whenever I see Lee's name in a debate or an argument on the boards, it's usually followed by a ton of scrutiny that cancels out any actual praise to his artwork.

I think the best way to describe him, nowadays, is as the ultimate 'Love 'em or leave 'em' artist.

first off this thread FTW.

but having said that im on the fence on Lee. some things of his are jaw dropping. others makes me sad lol.

backgrounds and detail AMAZING.

proportions AMAZINGLY weird sometimes....

Joker....meh. not at all my fav, his Joker IMO one of the worst....

I don't know how you can diss Jim Lee. Someone on here was complaining about how all of his characters are macho super heroes...he draws super heroes and heroins...they are supposed to be muscular. I've seen a lot of worse artwork out there. At least its not creepy looking like finches work. "Lets just give each character a jillion muscles and take five months to do it, b/c all my work is so freaking over detailed and my characters look ugly."

One of the reasons why I like Jim is because he has improved so much as an artist. Take a look at the progression from Alpha flight 51 to X-Men #1. His art style first came out with Punisher war journal back in 88 one year after he had started. You can tell that he's someone who really works he's arse off. 10 to 14 hours per page 6 days a week. At least thats what he was saying back in an interview in 92.

I know a lot about this guy b/c he is my biggest inspiration. So I don't tolerate people bashing jim.

Last edited:
Right now, my top 5 (in no particular order) goes something like:

Lee
Finch
Mazzucchelli
Sale
Capullo

Would also strongly consider including Breyfogle.

Lee is overrated, but he's still awesome. So whatever, I don't care about the hype, I care about the art. And the art is damn good. :up:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"