• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Jingle All the Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's an interesting movie from the 60's. The CHASE starring Marlon Brando, Jane Fonda, and Robert Redford. This was before there was much cursing in movies, so cursing isn't the point of this post.

The main plot, Robert Redford has escaped from jail (in for a crime he may or may not have done) and is believed to be heading back to the small southern town he is from. A group of "good old boys" talk of killing him if he shows up. They are loud, obnoxious, rude, crude, and spend all their time talking and acting tough. But there is a character in the movie....he holds sway over a group of would be tough guys. They talk up what they plan to do....and then turn to him and wait for a nod of approval or dismissal. The character never says a word in the movie....but he controls a mob and they can't make a movie without his silent OK. To me....that is the guy to be feared....not the guy screaming the F word every other minute.

In other words....I feel Tarintino uses cursing as a crutch. He uses it in place of more creative writing.

I understand that you don't like cursing, and it's respectable since I tend to not like being around people who like to curse around children, but I heavily disagree that Tarantino uses it as crutch. He's one of the more creative writers. The first scene in Inglorious Basterds is classic and doesn't feature cursing at all in it (or at least I don't remember cursing).

Tarantino does tend to over do it. I'm thinking mostly of that dead N***** Storage scene in Pulp Fiction. That was too much.

I may be going to hell, but I'm black and I love that part. I guess it's because he overacts and he out SLJ's Sam Jackson, but I find that part hilarious.

Yes yes yes yes yes!!! Thank you God for dumping so much snow in so short a time in the little city I live in!!

Why you might ask am I exalting about getting feet and feet of snow accumulation? Well, if anyone was paying attention I set for myself a goal to plunge into a deep snow drift in our front yard before the end of the year. Well, 30 minutes ago I just did a belly flop into a 6 foot drift in our front yard that was a build up of the plow and shoveling. It was cold as heck but oh so gloriously satisfying for me.

Ah damn. Getting back to Syracuse is gonna suck.

The graphic novel I'm getting for my birthday is late, but I know it's either Days of Future Past or Extremisis :woot:

Lucky :cmad: I didn't get anything for my b-day this year. Well, I did, but nothing long lasting like a graphic novel.

The graphic novel I'm getting for my birthday is late, but I know it's either Days of Future Past or Extremisis :woot:
Enjoy
Kitty is the star of DoFP, it's sad she wasn't there in the animated adaption from the 90s
Hope she makes it in the movie

Happy Birthday! :woot:

Good present :cool:

Man, I love Days of Future Past. I should find a trade of that somewhere and reread it. That whole era of X-Men was fantastic. Every issue!

Similar time period, but a bit later, pick up X-Men: God Loves, Man Kills sometime. I heard about it for years and finally picked it up a few years ago and LOVED it. Amazing story.

I must be the only person who ddin't like Days of Future Past. I hate time travel and found it hard to believe that Logan could have been killed off so easily given all the other things he went through and survived. :(

I feel like I've grown up to be one of those cool, pretty and well-adjusted people who are nice to lesser, more socially awkward people just out of pity, but secretly make fun of them behind their back.

But what really scares me is I'm not really that cool, pretty, or well adjusted, so it raises the question, just how bad are the people I pity? :o

I understand that you don't like cursing, and it's respectable since I tend to not like being around people who like to curse around children, but I heavily disagree that Tarantino uses it as crutch. He's one of the more creative writers. The first scene in Inglorious Basterds is classic and doesn't feature cursing at all in it (or at least I don't remember cursing).

Which shows HE CAN write scenes without the use of multiple curse words, and write GREAT scenes without the use of multiple curse words.....so why can't he do that more often instead of relying on the shortcut and easy way out of just throwing in a bunch of curse words instead of that masterful writing we know he can do?

I feel like I've grown up to be one of those cool, pretty and well-adjusted people who are nice to lesser, more socially awkward people just out of pity, but secretly make fun of them behind their back.

But what really scares me is I'm not really that cool, pretty, or well adjusted, so it raises the question, just how bad are the people I pity? :o

Do you ever wonder if they are pitying you behind your back?

Which shows HE CAN write scenes without the use of multiple curse words, and write GREAT scenes without the use of multiple curse words.....so why can't he do that more often instead of relying on the shortcut and easy way out of just throwing in a bunch of curse words instead of that masterful writing we know he can do?
because it might not fit in the context of the story he's trying to tell? he does tend to go overboard, but i like an authenticity of language to be presented and if he's telling a story about say killing nazis in ww2, i'm pretty sure there would have been some cursing involved.

because it might not fit in the context of the story he's trying to tell? he does tend to go overboard, but i like an authenticity of language to be presented and if he's telling a story about say killing nazis in ww2, i'm pretty sure there would have been some cursing involved.

I think you missed my point.

Many writers/directors in the past managed to make extremely powerful movies about the same subject matter that he has covered without the EXCESSIVE cursing. I have stated several times in this discussion...my problem is not that A curse word was said, but that he overdoes it. And I am saying that I believe he is creative enough to write some extraordinary things without the over use of cursing and would like to see him try it.

As to INGLORIOUS BASTERDS....Parker Wayne says there was little to no cursing in the beginning scene of it, and he felt it was classic. I don't personally remember how much if any cursing was in the opening scene (and at this point, since I don't have quick access to my DVD of it, do not remember if the first scene he is thinking of is the same thing I am thinking of)...but if he is referring to the scene with Christoph Waltz in the cabin and the Jews are hiding under the floor....I do not remember any cursing in that scene, but I consider that one of the best scenes in the movie. It was and will be considered in the future a classic scene.

I am not saying that there should be no cursing in a movie. Just that I feel his excessive use of it distracting and annoying. I believe it lessens his fantastic writing to the level of pretty good.

New Years Resolution: Try to sound less egotistical about my career. Don't let where I am clout who I am as a person before I even got to this point. With where this year is going, don't become a big shot - just be me out there and remember where I come from. And when it's ready, be proud and come out as one of the public's few (or at least I think so) male bisexual screenwriters despite the strains this might cause with my extended family who don't know yet (and might sever me from a cousin, I hope not), because I feel it's what has to be done. It might make my life harder at first, but it will hopefully make some lives easier and better, which always has to come first.

Last edited:
I love the video in your sgnature Ultimatehero

Can anybody fill me in on the situation with 'HowardStark'?

From what I can see....HowardStark is just one of a dozen or so names that a troll has been using since at least 2009 here......

My new years resolutions:

1) Lose round abouts 30 or 40 pounds and pick up a little muscle. But mostly, just get healthier.

2) Finish editing my current book and finish writing it's sequel. It's undecided whether I want to try to get it publish or just self-publish it like the two in my sig, but I need to figure that out.

3) Get my family out of debt and start saving toward buying a house.

I'm sure there are more but those are the big things on my mind at the moment.

My new years resolution: Don't bother. Because I won't stick to any resolutions anyway.

Just another day on the internet.

Yeah, that's bad. Well, time to to move on already.

How's everyone else going to spend NYE?

My new years resolution: Don't bother. Because I won't stick to any resolutions anyway.

I think resolutions are counterproductive for people like me. I see most people fail and give in to temptation myself.

I think it's the same for me. Every time I tell myself to do something, I start not wanting to do it. Like if I tell myself I'm going jogging tomorrow, I know I'll just end up in front of my computer. If I'm ever going to jog, I basically have to get up in the morning, put on my shoes and just start running. As soon as I start to make plans or prepare, it's already pretty much over.

Yeah , if I make plans it's easy to put them off. I just have to get up and go.

I work 2pm to 10pm. Then I rush over to my gf's to watch the ball drop :up: I have to work tomorrow 10-6 , so no drinking tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"