Comics JMS Didn't Want Back-In-Black Either?

Ultimate Kaine

First Clone
Reaction score
In the OMD MARVEL SPOTLIGHT, JMS is interviewed and appears to give a veiled hint that Back-In-Black might have been just what we thought it was - a stretched out & editorially mandated storyline. Perhaps I'm reaching, but he can't of course be blatant in this Marvel promo publication, judge for yourself...

"I'd wanted, and had always planned, to go right from the issue where Aunt May is shot into "One More Day", which if you look carefully at those two issues, they fold right into one another."

Well I'll be a Spidercide's uncle.

Anyway, I actually dug the JMS interview contained within. Almost from a sombre aftermath perspective of his run, JMS lays out his plans from day one, his successes and failures, with surprising honesty - not the condescending PR spin JQ uses. Still not a fan of the guy's writing, but perhaps I have a grudging respect for the guy behind the writing now.

Doesn't really surprise me. The whole thing was clearly a marketing-driven story to take advantage of the Spider-Man 3 hype. The fact that nothing actually comes out of Back in Black (i.e. nothing has changed by the story's end) and that the black costume has vanished without explanatation is, I think, proof that neither JMS nor the other tie-in writers had Back in Black in the cards.

With One More Day, Back in Black and all this Civil War-stuff I think it's a safe bet that it has been a long time since JMS wrote a Spidey-story he really wanted to do. I almost feel sorry for the new writers; it's probably another safe bet that we haven't seen the last of big crossover-events in the Marvel universe, and stupid editorial decisions

With One More Day, Back in Black and all this Civil War-stuff I think it's a safe bet that it has been a long time since JMS wrote a Spidey-story he really wanted to do. I almost feel sorry for the new writers; it's probably another safe bet that we haven't seen the last of big crossover-events in the Marvel universe, and stupid editorial decisions

Eh...i dont know about that...i mean; if he had a problem with editorial mandates, why didnt he just leave? It's not like he he's a struggling creator who NEEDS any work he can get. He's already had a successful career in television, and i have no doubt that DC or Dark Horse comics would snatch him up in a heartbeat.

I almost feel bad for JMS, you could tell during his run that all his stories were leading up to something big: morlun, ezekiel, " did the spider choose me or was it an accident?", "am i the spider or the man?", the Loki favor, sins past, the other...all these stories were building up to a big finale i think, but now we'll never get to see that finale. I mean heck, we STILL have no idea who the HELL Morlun is!

I almost feel bad for JMS, you could tell during his run that all his stories were leading up to something big: morlun, ezekiel, " did the spider choose me or was it an accident?", "am i the spider or the man?", the Loki favor, sins past, the other...all these stories were building up to a big finale i think, but now we'll never get to see that finale. I mean heck, we STILL have no idea who the HELL Morlun is!

I'm glad he didn't wite it, apparently the story he had in mind was going to wipe out Spidey's continuity.

I think what Blader5489 meant was that usually when you work for a company and sign a contract you are obligated to fulfill certain duties and you cant just walk out since its a legal contract.

Eh...i dont know about that...i mean; if he had a problem with editorial mandates, why didnt he just leave? It's not like he he's a struggling creator who NEEDS any work he can get. He's already had a successful career in television, and i have no doubt that DC or Dark Horse comics would snatch him up in a heartbeat.

Psst... Hey Cap'n... HE'S GONE.

I'm glad he didn't wite it, apparently the story he had in mind was going to wipe out Spidey's continuity.

Which is ironic because, technically, that's what still happened at the end of One More Day--just not as much changed.

And you know the details of said contract....how, exactly?

Where was I talking about details? All I said was that JMS--like all writers--signed a contract to work on ASM, which he just can't walk out on early.

Well I think everybody here knew they were insulting our intelligence when they said back then "oh no no, Back in Black was always planed, nothing to do with Spider-Man 3" so that doesn't sound as a big news.

But well at least Spider-Man always looks cool in his black suit (that and that very bad-ass beating Peter gave to Fisk, were the only thing that I enjoyed in Back in Black, because as someone already said, the story didn't move from the beginning of the arc to the end...)

Well I think everybody here knew they were insulting our intelligence when they said back then "oh no no, Back in Black was always planed, nothing to do with Spider-Man 3" so that doesn't sound as a big news.

But well at least Spider-Man always looks cool in his black suit (that and that very bad-ass beating Peter gave to Fisk, were the only thing that I enjoyed in Back in Black, because as someone already said, the story didn't move from the beginning of the arc to the end...)

Oh, well that bad-ass beat down never actually happened now. :yay:

Where was I talking about details? All I said was that JMS--like all writers--signed a contract to work on ASM, which he just can't walk out on early.

And again; How do YOU know? He has a contract with Marvel, but that doesnt nescessarily mean he's FORCED to stay on a certain book for any amount of time.

The one thing i remember concerning details of his contract from years agowas that editorial was NOT in fact, allowed to change anything that HE wrote...

i mean, im not calling you out or anything. If you have a link to details concerning his contract with Marvel i'd be very interested in reading it.

Uh...what do you think One More Day just did?

It didn't erase it from the beginning

JQ CBR interview:"Also, the science that Joe was going to apply to the retcon of the marriage would have made over 30 years of Spider-Man books worthless, because they never would have had happened. We would have also had a "Crisis" in the Marvel Universe because it would have reset way too many things outside of the Spider-Man titles. We just couldn't go there and in the end we weren't expecting that kind of story."

Why wouldn't it? Back in Black had nothing to do with the marriage.

How do you figure that?:huh:

May never got shot, Peter never revealed his identity.

So no reason whatsoever to go "Back in Black".

JMS's entire run may have never happened. And that part certainly didn't.

In the OMD MARVEL SPOTLIGHT, JMS is interviewed and appears to give a veiled hint that Back-In-Black might have been just what we thought it was - a stretched out & editorially mandated storyline. Perhaps I'm reaching, but he can't of course be blatant in this Marvel promo publication, judge for yourself...

"I'd wanted, and had always planned, to go right from the issue where Aunt May is shot into "One More Day", which if you look carefully at those two issues, they fold right into one another."

Well I'll be a Spidercide's uncle.

Anyway, I actually dug the JMS interview contained within. Almost from a sombre aftermath perspective of his run, JMS lays out his plans from day one, his successes and failures, with surprising honesty - not the condescending PR spin JQ uses. Still not a fan of the guy's writing, but perhaps I have a grudging respect for the guy behind the writing now.

I still think of him the same, He is a hack.
He could have just quit pushing that crap if he actually liked or understood Spider-man.

He is obviously going to try and play down his place in the last four years of ASM because most readers think it has been one train wreck after the next.

Well, I actually liked "Back in Black".

Fair enough, I didn't.
It had one good issue when Spidey gave Fisk a beatdown.

How do you figure that?:huh:

May never got shot, Peter never revealed his identity.

So no reason whatsoever to go "Back in Black".

JMS's entire run may have never happened. And that part certainly didn't.

Yeah, you're right. I don't know why, but it just occurred to me that Mephisto was able to save May by erasing the unmasking (and all consequential stories) from history. I don't know why that just now clicked for me. Whatever. :oldrazz:

Yeah, you're right. I don't know why, but it just occurred to me that Mephisto was able to save May by erasing the unmasking (and all consequential stories) from history. I don't know why that just now clicked for me. Whatever. :oldrazz:

Joephisto DID NOT erase the unmasking, he made it so nobody remembers it. Everything happened yet didn't happen, isn't that Amazing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"